Class 91 problem

Ian_T

Right, i am new to all of this so be gentle!!! I bought from e-bay a class 91 with dvt-it was cheap to be honest and it was after all described as having a minor fault and that sometime it ran sometimes it didn't and well I bought it anyway just to stick on my layout as I am building.

My controller has arrived today and I placed the class 91 on the track to try and run it. These are the symptoms I am having, but not sure how if it all it could be repaired?

1.place it on the track and nothing.

2.if i switch between directions i can see the motor turn and the loco it self moves perhaps 5mm before stopping (this is on full power and wont do this on low power)

3.it gets hot (very hot) and smells of like aluminium

4.when hot point number 2 does not work but i can see the motor switch directions when the controller directions are changed.

5.when its cold point 2 works again

I assume (given my lack of experience here) that the motor is no good????

Any ideas anyone please??

Thanks

thanks edwin-apologies for late reply, been busy at work!!! It was hard to tell in that picture, so heres one i have taken of the class 91, as you may be better judged to see if its the same, if you dont mind ;)

Oh and yes its a Farish

IMG_1079.jpg

post-2569-0-19621900-1294949378_thumb.jpg

Without seeing the top, I'd say that the brushes are held in by the brass holder (as per many other models) and this has a screw slot on it. If it has then unscrew it, careful do NOT loose the spring and then the brush.

I'd also check that when you turn the motor by hand that it turns the wheels ok, it shouldn't be stiff/difficult as this would indicate that the problem lies between the motor and wheels.

It's either shorting or the mechanism is jammed. The heat is built up by resistance in what ever the power is running throuhg. I doubt it's a short as the controller should have cut out and the loco wouldnt have tried to move (electric takes the easiest route and thats not trhought the motor if theres a short in the loco). Its probably the motor winding thats heating up, as something is most likely jammed as mentioned above. Turn the motor by hand and see if it moves freely and the wheels turn. If the don't you'll need to start stripping it to see what's drooped off/moved/broken

Archived