LAYOUT PLANS

robbostrains

HO is, of course, by definition, Half O scale, at 3.5mm/ft, so plans can more or less just be halved for the HO size; it's N scale you have to watch, as it's not half of HO. Then as well don't forget that US & EU N scales are different scale ratios to UK N scale (1:160 against 1:148 IIRC?)... we just use "2mm" as a 'cover-all' shortcut term, as they all share 9mm track - UK models running on a 'narrow gauge' as in 4mm and 7mm.... :rolleyes: ;)

The other thing to watch, is that RTR turnouts very rarely "scale" eg an OO scale turnout isn't 4/7 the length of an 7mm one and a 2mm turnout isn't 2/7 the length of a 7 mm one or 1/2 the size of an OO gauge one (and radii rarely match either!). As a rule of thumb an OO layout will be around half the size of an O gauge and an N gauge around 70% the size of an OO/HO track plan when scaled down - but having picked a plan get some templates, and lay them out - prevents nasty surprises when you have built the base-board - or redraw it in XTrkCad, of course.

If you're scaling down, it would be prudent to consider easing some of the clearances and using higher no. turnout radii to make the plan look more prototypical if possible. Some plans might work, but once you consider your car lengths and operational needs might be different then the odd tweak at the design stage will prevent issues further along.

Also remember that people don't scale so aisles in an O scale layout will be too narrow in HO scale, etc.

Also HO isn't half of American O scale. American O scale is 1/4 = 1 ft, while British O scale is 7mm per foot. The difference will be negigible for a layout, but for structures and rolling stock it can make a difference. In 7 mm they changed the scale to match the gauge and in 1/4" scale they changed the gauge to match the scale.

What is sometimes a better idea than reducing a plan from a large to a smaller scale, is to find a nice plan and do it in a similar actual area but to a smaller scale, if that makes sense.

I did it years ago where I planned an HO layout but eventually built it in N scale on the same board, and it worked far better as I could use larger radius points for one thing, and naturally also run longer trains. I didn't regret it. ;) I'm currently facing a similar dilemma; although I'm now heavily into O scale, looking at a space I hope to make available later this year I've been working on some plans, but doing it in HO would, I feel, make for a 'better' layout, for the same reasons as before - easier radius points and longer trains... :unsure:

What is sometimes a better idea than reducing a plan from a large to a smaller scale, is to find a nice plan and do it in a similar actual area but to a smaller scale, if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. One thing I've often noticed seeing layouts in the flesh as opposed to photos is that the larger the scale the more compression you seem to be able to get away with. I think it's all to do with how much you can see in a single glance. There are BLTs in 0 scale that are completely convincing though the same plan scaled down to 00 would be dubious and absurd in N.

There are lots of puzzling things about Scale/Gauge that can be overthought.........

People think that OO/4mm Scale and gauge is weird but I think that O Gauge is stranger in the relationship between Scale/Gauge in both the GB and USA.........mind boggling almost.

Best, Pete.

It has always puzzled me why H0 is half of British 0 at 1:87 rather than half American at 1:96 or half continental 0 at 1:90.

Probably because it was actually invented in Britain..?!? :rolleyes: ;)

Which makes it all the more curious why the UK ended up rejecting it so comprehensively..? (and yes, I am aware of, and used to be a member of, the British 1:87 Society...)

Anyway, that's not the issue here, so apologies for straying slightly OT... :(

Archived