If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Erm *shuffles feet* hello?

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

*Looks round in amazement*

Wow, this site is huge!! Heard so much about it and at last here I am...

I'm modelling a small layout in N gauge (6'10" x 2'4")

After years of struggling with old Grafar stuff (hence the name ;)) my poor efforts have been rescued by messrs Bachmann, Dapol and Co. so I have restarted a layout depicting my old stomping ground of Prestatyn, North Wales using actual pictures of the area as a backdrop! The location is real enough to play with but not any particular depiction as I run four distinct eras: 70's, 80's, 90's and Today !!

The main feature is a (not exactly finescale!) model of the old victorian footbridge across the line just west of Prestatyn station, upon which I used to stand as a kid and watch the class 40's thunder underneath!

I've attached a few piccies to give you an idea...apologies for the almost heinous quality of the shots but the lighting was awful and I took them with my mobile phone !!

post-10897-0-86506300-1295452545_thumb.jpgpost-10897-0-66638500-1295452526_thumb.jpgpost-10897-0-18054600-1295452853_thumb.jpg

The station name is Llanybarachel which I will leave to the purists to thrash out what it means !!!

Anyway, I'm sure I've put far too much for a first post so I'll get off now and go and look at some of the other mouth-watering offerings on the site.

Thanks for letting me join in...see you soon

Your layout looks good to me.

I'm a newbie to the forum as well but it looks good, I've seen ones in the past where genuine requests for advice/help are met with ridicule but there's none of that here that I've seen.

Welcome and have fun.

'allo,

I like the look of your layout, any chance of seeing a few more pictures? I like lusting after N gauge layouts even if I am a ham fisted O gauge modeller!

Boris

BTW It is customary for new people to buy all forum members called Boris a beer.

Welcome aboard and thanks for creating an interesting first post.

Rule 1. If Boris tells you to do something; don't. Whatever it is, it's wrong.

It's only wrong if you're caught, which I quite frequently am. But I really would like to see a few more layout pics.

• RMweb Premium

If those are the photos taken in bad lighting and with a poor camera, it suggests that when you get good photo's it will show your modelling off even better.

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos! Amazing quality, really, from such a device.

Admit it, you don't have a phone - you have a camera that happens to make phone calls as well.

I like the bridge.

Thanks for all the feedback so far- bit overwhelming really...:blink:

It's actually a Sony Ericsson K800i so I guess you're right :D

I'll post some more in a bit; if I can work out how to start a new blog/thread/topic thingy I'll do that too :P

• RMweb Premium

Welcome

It is great to see a bit of North Wales modeled and I like the concept of using pictures as the background, more pictures please

Dave

Hi Dave

I guess since I was born and bred in Prestatyn it was natural for me to try and recreate something of what I remember...I lived just 50 yards from the old Goods Shed on the Prestatyn-Dyserth branchline so I have one of those on the layout too!

The background is only temporary at the moment; the pictures are literally blown-up photos done in Word. I'm going to send the whole lot off to one of those backscene-creating companies who can string them all together into a smooth-looking picture; then hopefully it will look really good!

More pics coming later.

• RMweb Premium

More Pics; taken today with the phone again - will start a new topic I think (now I've read the how-to guide!) and go back to where it all began...

For some reason the light changed again today; have been meaning for some time to get a proper lighting set-up - maybe now's the time !!

Here's the station of Llanybarachel, which disappears under the roadbridge:

post-10897-0-95784800-1295535754_thumb.jpg

This is one of several class 40's I have which was reason this layout started at all; standing on that rickety old footbridge as they passed underneath definitely made an impression !!

post-10897-0-68426800-1295535811_thumb.jpg

And more up-to-date; travelled on one of these at Christmas to Prestatyn...

post-10897-0-59532000-1295535936_thumb.jpg

Next post will have a couple of aerial views of the layout - must get back to the desk and do some work now !!

Archived