The Old Gentleman's Coach

post-6220-0-96399200-1295773642_thumb.jpg

.........use someone's else's.

This is a totalling impressionistic model of the Old Gentleman's Coach from The Railway Children story by E. Nesbit.

I did it from memory after going around the actual coach a couple of summers ago when it was a visiting display at the York Railway museum.

There was a stage version of the Railway Children happening there at the same time, where they were shunting the Stirling No 1 steam engine in and out if the

Shed where the production was put on. The engine was at the head of a train, but not in steam, and the whole lot was pushed in and out by a little diesel, off stage at the back of quite a long train and out of earshot .

This model is not very accurate but is modelled from the inside out, as during the tour we where allowed to sit in the saloon and visit, the kitchen at the back, and see the 1st class directors flush loo,

not bad for the 1880's considering the conditions that paying passengers had to put up with..

Later I found out that the coach lives at Keigthly on the Worth Valley Railway near Haworth. You can see it on their web site, it was a North Eastern Railway directors

inspection saloon and very well appointed it is too.

A sort of directors perk, long before company cars had been thought up. Many a pick nick, I mean 'official tour' was enjoyed in it.

Hornby spare parts where merrily chopped up to make it; not having a drawing or photo at he time and only using memory meant I had no inhibitions about inaccuracy at the

time and just chopped and glued until it looked right, or I got bored, or the DVD ended.

Donor parts;

Hornby clerestory roof from East Kent Models

Hornby Gresley brake coach body for the teak panelled coach sides, acquired cheap with a broken bogie.

Bachmann replacement bogies.

The Old Gentleman himself is a wagon driver from the Airfix Wagon-Train figure set, recently re-introduced.

post-6220-0-96399200-1295773642_thumb.jpg

The Saloon uses the corridor side for the big windows, then narrow panels of the luggage section for the corridor side, guards compartment is a 3rd class one and at the end the kitchen with four burner gas oven.

post-6220-0-41900200-1295773730_thumb.jpg

See the Old Gentleman waving.

post-6220-0-57097800-1295773749_thumb.jpg

The end is cut from plastikard, I seemed to remember 3 windows which looked better than two but the website pictures show there should only be two.

the chassis was built up from Evergreen plastic strip, and a nice glossy varnished used to make it just as glossy as the real thing.

You should be able to see an Aspidistra potted plant on the window sill to the left of the Old Gentleman, but I didn't model one.

post-6220-0-34625600-1295773775_thumb.jpg

So it's good bye from him.

By the way the Railway Children By E. Nesbit is worth a read, the railway parts of it are well observed and it is really a social comment on the England of 1905 pretending to be a children's story..

E. Nesbit herself was quite a character and her biography makes interesting reading too.

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=904

The above is the K&WVR website page for the original coach it's self, NER No. 1661. Interesting to see that it was rebuilt

and chopped about from earlier incarnations, on the real railways, just like what us modellers do.

There's that aspidistra, how do you model that? And the cut glass decanters I seem to remember too.

Gosh I was miles out with my windows.

• RMweb Premium

"This is a totalling impressionistic model of the Old Gentleman's Coach from The Railway Children story by E. Nesbit."

Exactly, so why worry about the windows. Your model is surely of the directors' saloon of the Great Northern and Southern Railway, not the actual NER vehicle, so it's accurate, isn't it? Looks fine to me, an excellent job.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for this! Do you think it could be fitted with a smoke generator & DCC sound to produce a shroud of 'steam' and a plaintive cry of " Daddy, my daddy"?:rolleyes:

36E

P.S. I think this is a cracking paint job of which I am envious. Lovely job.

Thanks Mozzer for your little instruction page.

Relaxinghobby - if Coach thinks it looks like the O G's Coach then be pleased, very pleased ;)

Thanks for the encouragment but it's not all my own work.

That's the point its not a full paint job as I used the Hornby sides in their natural teak look and the lining and numbers are as they came on the Hornby sides.

It does not show up on the photos but home made ends that I made are painted and it's only a so-so teaky match.

Archived