Airbrushes - gravity feed vs suction feed, and coverage

Dr Al

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new airbrush to replace my first, realtively cheap brush which is now on its last legs.

My main uses for the brush will be somewhat different - N gauge locos and 1:72 scale model aircraft! Obviously the N gauge needs small fine flow, whereas the aircraft (particularly the larger ones) need ability of better larger coverage.

I've been looking about after reading some of the threads on RMweb, and found the RDG BD-183k that looks to have some reasonable capability for the money:

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/AIR_BRUSHES_.html

Do folks think this is reasonable, or is there a better option? Or would it be better to buy two brushes to cover each use - perhaps a cheaper single action one for the aircraft?

Also, are gravity feed brushes superior? My current brush is a suction feed, which seems to be its downfall - it no longer sucks the paint up (or water or thinners even) :unsure:!

Advice from those more experienced would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Alan

Guest baldrick25

How much is your budget is the real answer to the question. As someone who did something similar , and then graduated to an Iwata mid range, you soon realise there are good compromises, but no overall 'it will do everything best' airbrushes out there. Each has advantages but my feeling is that something branded and about £50 will be best ( not incl compressor).

Take a look at the Right Track series of DVD's , in particular DVD 3 'Painting , lining and finishing locomotives' to see the pro's and con's that the 'proffessionals' use to get results.

The most important thing for good results is the skill of the operator and experience, knowing just what your airbrush can do and what it can't.

Each has advantages but my feeling is that something branded and about £50 will be best ( not incl compressor).

The most important thing for good results is the skill of the operator and experience, knowing just what your airbrush can do and what it can't.

Yes, that kind of price maximum. I have a Sparmax compressor already so just need to decide on the brush.

Are the ultra cheap brushes a false economy? I know you can get dual action brushes from £20 upwards, which almost makes it seem worth a punt:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silverline-22cc-Air-Brush-Kit-282460-/160460002553?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255c2954f9

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I purchased a BD-183K from RDG tools this time last year and have used it since for all of the painting I do. Mainly I have used it for O gauge but it has also had to paint a couple of US N gauge boxcars and has been used for parts of a 5"locomotive.

All round I personally think it is a good airbrush for the price.

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Pretty nuch an airbrush novice, but in my VERY limited experience you can get a cheap single acting brush off eBay for about 5 quid, works great for large area coverage and if it blocks is dead easy to clean out etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRO-MINI-AIR-BRUSH-KIT-ARTIST-CRAFTS-AIRBRUSH-/290455944501?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item43a085fd35

Cheaper than a rattle can from Halfords and gives a much finer spray etc.

Save the double acting brush for your detail N gauge work, gravety fed brushes tend to need lower pressures and can be better for real fine work so I'm told.

Try to go for gravity fed airbrushes as they will give a better end result.

There is nothing wrong with the cheaper airbrushes if you are on a limited budget or starting out & are unsure of how much you will eventually use the airbrush. However, like most things in life, the more you spend the more you get in terms of spares backup, controlability, reliability (better materials used in manufacture).

I would give it a go.

Yes, you will get far better results with a gravity fed airbrush.

I use the Premi Air G35 airbrush which I got as part of a magazine subscription and I'm always surprised at how close I can spray up to a model and how I can spray very fine lines without any splattering.

I am not sure how much the Premi Air costs but it seem like good quality to me.

Michael

Thanks to all for their comments. Gravity feed seems to be the resounding answer coming across, and the link to the £6 single action brush was particularly interesting - for that price you can hardly go wrong for a cheap second brush, even if it only lasts a year.

I purchased a BD-183K from RDG tools this time last year and have used it since for all of the painting I do. Mainly I have used it for O gauge but it has also had to paint a couple of US N gauge boxcars and has been used for parts of a 5"locomotive.

All round I personally think it is a good airbrush for the price.

Andy - do you have any examples of your work using this brush? I've seen your J67/J69 snaps - was that one you did with the BD183k?

Thanks again and any further comments are still welcome!

Alan

The cheap airbrush mentioned is based on a very expensive type, nothing to do with gravity or side or suction feed, it is based upon the classic Paasche design, where the air is directed at the tip of a stationary needle, where the air pulls the paint off the tip as it passes at an angle The taper cone is the adjustable part, it goes up and down, and the gun is indeed a single action air control only.

If well built as with Paasche, this is as good as any airbrush, and takes side and suction bowls., making no difference to performance at all.

I expect the copy is a trifle basic in engineering, but at that price must be a bargain.

Top bowls(and small side bowls), were designed for ink, delivered in tiny amounts to the tip, different to painting models. The bottom suction types where introduced to allow the use of large amounts of paint,

The delivery should not affect the quality, it is the needle and feed size that affects everything.

The more expensive types use better finished needles in hard chrome steel, with hardened nozzles etc.

Bottom suction types that blast across tubes are the very cheapest types, these are all right at higher flows with paint, but for all fine work it needs a traditional type, either a straight single or dual action, or the Paasche type. The type of delivery does not really make a difference.

I ave just ordered the Ebay cheap Paasche copy, got to be worth checking out, The needle may well require a polish, and the cone bedding in, but if true threads are fitted, then it should equate to a very expensive airbrush.

The Paasche method is still considered one of the best to work with fine inks, and they are easy to clean as well, the works are open and simply standing in cleaner will work.

I also use Aerograph and Iwata daily, but the Paasche can ork just as well as £200 or more rivals.

This shows the three types the basic suction across a hole, the Paasche type at an angle across the tip, and the cone type with needle, which is the Aerograph and Iwata type.

The dual action move the needle and adjust the air combines on one button, and need more practice to use. Potentially they give greater control.

post-6750-0-57099500-1296167060_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes tried it out, and works fine, only gripe is the adjusting thread is a bit course compare to Paasche, it works with all paints, but the seal in the bottle swells with cellulose, but easy to replace, bottles are standard.

The plastic tube that connects the paint feed into the back of the brass nozzle had to be roughened to get it to grip tightly, touched with the tip of a hot soldering iron on the plastic tube to add dimples.

It sprays from very fine to a course spray, limited only by the tip, which could easily be polished to a finer point if you wanted.

post-6750-0-59206100-1297085350_thumb.jpg

It works from about 15 PSI, and was best at about 30PSI, tried with Floquil and Testors Dullcote, both difficult to spray finely.

Certainly a bit cruder in design, it is well made, and at the price unbeatable, better than the simple across the tube types, acting like a far more expensive airbrush.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the design has changed since I bought mine, or maybe a different supplier? My jar has a metal outlet tube rather than plastic. Fine adjustment is not really an issue, mine's just a rattle can alternative. It was bought specifically to spray PP Satin varnish as I'm sick of their cans blocking up despite following all the instructions and tips and tricks already posted on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those for comments.

I've now invested in both a cheap £5 single action brush from ebay and also the BD183k for detail and finer work.

The cheap brush works fine, though the spray is a bit thicker than my original airbrush, and it seems to need more pressure from my compressor. But I've lightly gloss varnished a loco with it, successfully. I think this and coverage coats are things it will do just fine.

Stephen - you talk of polishing the point of the needle - can you explain how you'd go about this?

I've yet to try the BD183k, but it looks a nice piece of equipment, and almost certainly easier to clean than my old brush as it looks to dismantle more fully. Also, from purchase to delivery was about a day and a half, so top marks to RDG tools so far.

Best Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Good to see you've finally made a decision and bought a couple....

Sorry I missed your question regarding the J69 the last time I read through this post but the answer would have been yes that loco was sprayed with the BD183K as was the class 03 in my diesels thread.

Cheers

Andy

Archived