Tinsley Vitrains 47

RBE

I recently acquired a Vitrains 47 which as it was so cheap couldn't really refuse. Having never had a play with one before, I've had baccy ones coming out of my ears, I was actually a little unsure on first look. There were no fittings on the loco at all the paint finish seemed rather toy like, dare I compare with Limas finishes 20 years ago? And the guffers were so easy to remove that they spent more time on the sofa as I looked it over than on the loco. But then I gave it another look and when comparing it with the memories of my youth I was actually very impressed. The shape, the face, it all seemed right to me. Even the bogies looked like little replicas of the real thing albeit in plasticky black. It started to look like I'd made a good choice. On the track she wasn't too shabby either, lights were rubbish but after lighting a million Sci Fi models before I don't think this will be too difficult to rectify.

Anyway this loco was always destined for a full job so none of the problems worried me. The shape was dead right and that will do for me! Choosing a prototype is always a tricky one. I always try to steer well clear of celebrity as the mundane locos are what it was all about, celebrity has its place but I prefer to tip my hat to the workhorses that often go un-noticed. My usual trawl of the class 47 gallery on class47.co.uk usually bears me fruit. It needed to fit the details of the model I had (which was the 47370 model) but be interesting too. To fit my layout's time period it needed to be around 1993 so I narrowed my search. Eventually I came across 47210 in distribution livery. It looked the part and had snowploughs which was a bit of a bonus for a tinsley loco. 210 it was then. It was only after a strip fitting of Heljan ploughs and a primer coat that I noticed that the real loco had a flush front headcode at the no 1 end. Grrr. Not to be detered I cracked out the milliput!

post-6894-0-69858000-1295912611_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-31613500-1295912603_thumb.jpg

I wasn't expecting surgery! Also she had class 60 buffers at that end too!! So an excuse to shed one set of Vitrains buffers in favour of some class 60 ones. Done! I also at this stage took the opportunity to cut some finer roof fan grilles to fit flush in the holes too. Much better. She was now looking the part. I also drilled out the bogie steps to try to replicate the real thing a little more closely, Its no Peter Harvey etch but I think it does a job.

post-6894-0-80780800-1295912621_thumb.jpg

All primed I first gave the ends a coat oof warning panel yellow followed by the rail grey bodysides.

post-6894-0-68376300-1295912631_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-13859800-1295912587_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-04312600-1295912595_thumb.jpg

After adding the flint grey to the upper body she was starting to come together although looking a little wierd without the dark roof and black windows and doors.

post-6894-0-27116100-1295912573_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-18024200-1295912579_thumb.jpg

These were added and suddenly the whole thing is starting to come together. I chose the faded distribution logos from fox as she is going to get a bit of a beating in the weathering stage, plus most of these locos whether badly worn or not tended to have nice pink logos after not a long time in the field. I noticed from photos that this loco seems to have had a replacement cormer to its logos making them a contrasting redder colour to the rest of the logo. I'm not sure whether to replicate this though as one of my rules is to never do wierd stuff, it will just look wrong!! Does this fall into that catergory though!!! I dunno. I have time yet! Anyway the detailing and weathering soon.

Cheers

Cav

Thanks for the comments guys, i've done a little more but not phtographed it yet. In the mean time here is what it was like. I know its triple grey but it was frankly a poor finish, felt rather toy like and also the decals left the paint in a real mess when I was taking them off.

V2061_2.jpg

Photo linked from hattons

Heres a couple of pictures showing what I mean with 210's decals!

http://www.class47.c...g=1186051095211

http://www.class47.c...g=1151051183211

See what I mean about the decals?

Cheers

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Update on pictures,

I've not had chance to do much lately working on projects for commission so not a lot more done. Anyway I've done all the brush work for now, all thats on here is brushed on paint at the minute. I've added wear to the flint grey, various dark washes in the nooks and crannies, a little brush on wipe off but TBH I find this works superb with factory cellulose finishes but less so with repaints in enamel. I therefore do a lot more intentional brushwork in order to keep it out of areas I don't want the paint o be or else it kinda sticks and leaves unwanted marks. I've still to add some runs, these will be sparing and in pencil probably before I matt coat them in and do my airbrush work. I think its coming on well but still not sure whether to do the redder corner on the logo as mentioned above. What do people think?

I'm hoping to get sound in here too before the mansfield show and was planning to maybe add smoke but need to invest a little time to R&D for that. I've also noticed a loose window on the pics!! :lol: Will probably replace them with shawplan laserglaze though when I can get my hands on some!! Will improve it no end.

Hmm my camera lens is a little dirty too by the looks!!

Cheers

Cav

post-6894-0-46250900-1296861701_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-81414600-1296861707_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-71921000-1296861713_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-03664600-1296861727_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-84591200-1296861734_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-13719400-1296861746_thumb.jpg

Wow, I think you have done a stunning job and have turned a sows ear into a silk purse with what you had to start off with!

It is just as I remember 210, faded and a bit battered.

I love the 'feathered' edge to the darker grey bodyside banding - how did you achieve such a fine fading effect?

Very nice indeed.

Trev

Cheers guys, as I said I still have the airbrushing to do yet but she' definately getting there.

As for the fading on the flint grey, I first used a slightly thinned down rail grey (the lower body colour) which I applied rather intensionally rather than to splash it all over. This was then removed with downward strokes with a thinners coated (not soaked) cotton bud to fade it a little (the precision paints flint grey I feel a little dark in any case TBH). Once happy (after a few repeats to build what I was after) I then coated my brush with thinned rail grey and wiped it a little as though dry brushing, I kept a little more paint on than dry brushing though and did gentle vertical strokes just at the edge of the grey as though the paint was wearing off, I sometimes worked this with a dry cotton bud if I felt it a bit heavy. You can do this too by attacking the edge of the dark grey with a glass pen but this can leave the paint a bit rough I feel so prefer to add a little paint instead. I also looked at a lot of pictures of the real 210 and tried to get a feel of that particular loco. One side is very worn around the logo! I felt the rest of the wear looked a little underdone on the prototype compared with this area so I added a little freelance wear too. I think it balances it better.

Not had chance to crack the airbrush out but will be tomorrow!

Cheers

Cav

That looks brilliant :D

I recently purchased a Vi Train's 47 it was £37 new which i thought was cheap & to be far i think these models get a lot of bad press. The model it's self with a little work can be turned into a very nice scale model although mine is due for some fresh wheels which are a bit more to scale. You've really captured one of Tinsleys faded critters i remember plenty of 47's looking like that when i used to visit the depot.

Simon.

Cheers Arnie,

Anyway pretty much the finished article. I've done the roof dirt and soot. Added bodyside grime with airbrush and cotton bud wipeoff. Hit the underframe and bufferbeams with framedirt and oil. Windscreen wiper sweeps and a run or two. I'm pretty happy with it, still can't decide on whether to tint the logo though!! :lol: We'll have to see come Mansfield! The only downside is I've had to go all tension lock compatible for the show as I have had to borrow a load of stock which is TL fitted, means she's had to have a drawbar fitted. Nevermind, I'd sooner have a load of TL stock than no stock!!

Enjoy the pics. I'll get some of her on Outon Road when she comes out for sprucing this weekend. You will see the much improved headlights then too!

post-6894-0-89252800-1297888088_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-63104500-1297888101_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-68203800-1297888155_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-18783700-1297888166_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Hi Cav,

Looking really good! How did you do the marker lights on the flush-fronted (No1) end?

Many thanks,

Guy

Cheers Guy,

The marker lights were popped out and the whole box filled with milliput. Once dry I drilled through the milliput into the old marked light holes behind. I then drilled part the way through with a bigger drill that matched the popped out lenses. The lenses can then be fitted back in once the loco is painted. The black was painted inside and slightly around the holes before the grey opaque lenses were fitted back in. Worked pretty well I think, and the lights still work! The inside of the body was coated with matt black to block light bleed and behind the headlight I added a extremely filed back bright white LED. Makes a huge difference!

Cav

• 4 months later...

Hi Cav,

Just found this. It's a lovely job, you've captured the typical condition of a 90's Tinsley Duff very well. 47210 looks to be in a similar condition to my model of 47280 Pedigree. However I didn't weather her myself. She was purchased from a fellow DEMU member.

My next duff to tackle will be 47218 in 'Euro RFD' livery. If you have one of these in mind it'll be an interesting one to see.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to more.

Cheers

Always love seeing this run on Outon, very smooth and the faded grey and logos are fantatstic

great job mate, even though iv seen this loco a thousand times it still looks great

Neil

Cheers guys. I guess you enjoyed driving her at members day Neil! I dont have a euro rfd 47 in mind just yet Wayne but I am currently working on a euro rfd 86. I do like the euro for a change but I feel the standard rfd sits perfectly on the 47. I love my 210 and it looks even better with the lazerglaze that it has now. Ill post some pics of it on here soon. Im hoping to get sound in her too in the not too distant future. Do you have any pics of yours?

Cav

Hi Cav,

Yes 47210 is looking good with it's laserglaze windows indeed. I do like the euro livery but the good old RFD is just as good and does seem to suit class 47s very well, especially with faded logos and a good bit of weathering.

I'm hoping to post up some pics of my models in due course. I'll need to get a new charger for the camera first though, but dont worry as soon as I do I'll post some up.

I see that DEMU SHowcase is linked in your sig, Are you a member by any chance?

Cheers

Yes I am a member, I finally got around to joining up when I exhibited Outon Road at the DEMU showcase in June. Ive not had chance to post anything over there yet. Its been a great source of info though.

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Archived