RMweb

Splitting Distant signals

As a twin to my Fixed Distant topic, what about splitting distants?.

They were used on the Midland around New Mills/Chinley/Buxton Millers Dale, including crossovers between fast and slow lines. I suppose even a 20mph limit often represented a challenge rather than a caution!

From a modelling viewpoint, in what Companies/Eras were they common/rare?

regards

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Same as fixed, generally if the junction had a 40mph or less restriction splitters would not be provided, but, for example, the LNWR were very keen on providing "routing" distants in their early days, around 1900, but most of these were removed some years later as the line speed did not justify them. Again there are exceptions, they were probably provided where traffic was likely to stack up if everything was cautioned, splitters allow the drivers to drive at line speed without worrying about adverse signals, even if the line speed was only 30mph (for example)

There were two successive splitting distants at New Basford on the GC just north of Nottungham.

Provided when the line was built I think and in place until closure for Bagthorpe junction where the GN line to Derby diverged.

There's a shot of one at the start of this youtube clip, the route is set for the Derby line. This video is actually from a very good set available on DVD, but I'm afraid much as we'd have liked it the trains didn't run at that speed, must be a problem when it was uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uaKAL2iQCw

As a twin to my Fixed Distant topic, what about splitting distants?.

They were used on the Midland around New Mills/Chinley/Buxton Millers Dale, including crossovers between fast and slow lines. I suppose even a 20mph limit often represented a challenge rather than a caution!

From a modelling viewpoint, in what Companies/Eras were they common/rare?

regards

Peter

I've always had a thing about distant signals... :rolleyes: There was a "triple" (three yellow arms) splitting distant somewhere on the approaches to King's Cross and another on the Midland main line. Does anybody know when the last "remote" (no stop arms on the same post) splitting distant was taken out of service, or any notable survivors?

Thanks,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

There was a "triple" (three yellow arms) splitting distant somewhere on the approaches to King's Cross and another on the Midland main line.

Loads of them around at one time, although more than 2 distant arms was unusual.

Does anybody know when the last "remote" (no stop arms on the same post) splitting distant was taken out of service,

Isolated in the term normally used ;)

or any notable survivors?

Larbet was the last I knew of and that went a few years back, of course there are modern colour light splitting distants on the GWML.

Archived