Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Great pics,:D You managed to get that preserved but used look on the kettle very nice, 37043 looks great haven't seen many pics of it in use since you finished it of.

I thought your next lot of pics might include a class 27 on ballast as per Bruce's video.;)

Cheers Peter.

Hi again folks,

Here are a few more pics I found earlier when sifting through some old photos. Bit of a mishmash these but I thought they were were worth posting. Apologies if any of them have been posted before.

First up, here are some shots of 37043 especially for Peter (PCM). (These have been posted before I think Peter, if you only bothered to look through the thread. Some people, I don't know ;) ).

post-7247-025365300 1285859254_thumb.jpg

post-7247-050886900 1285859299_thumb.jpg

A low winter sun catches an unusual visitor in the shape of 45144 alongside 27105 at the platforms...

post-7247-018929700 1285861353_thumb.jpg

post-7247-026454400 1285859711_thumb.jpg

A 107 leaves for Glasgow Central...

post-7247-072410900 1285859388_thumb.jpg

As a 150 waits patiently to leave for Dundee...

post-7247-087694600 1285861418_thumb.jpg

and 27105 waits to head off for Haymarket after coming in from Dundee...

post-7247-075990300 1285859465_thumb.jpg

NIght falls on Waverley Bridge...

post-7247-052251900 1285859582_thumb.jpg

Incredibly, back in 1981 someone had the foresight to take a Google Earth style view of Waverley early one winter's morning, clearly showing a Deltic about to depart for Aberdeen...

post-7247-084239600 1285860934_thumb.jpg

Will post some pics of my HST coaches as they're now nearing completion. I still have to decide on how I'm going to do the window frames yet though. Not that I'm putting it off or anything...

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 7

Hi again folks,

Here are a few more pics I found earlier when sifting through some old photos. Bit of a mishmash these but I thought they were were worth posting. Apologies if any of them have been posted before.

First up, here are some shots of 37043 especially for Peter (PCM). (These have been posted before I think Peter, if you only bothered to look through the thread. Some people, I don't know ;) ).

post-7247-025365300 1285859254_thumb.jpg

post-7247-050886900 1285859299_thumb.jpg

A low winter sun catches an unusual visitor in the shape of 45144 alongside 27105 at the platforms...

post-7247-018929700 1285861353_thumb.jpg

post-7247-026454400 1285859711_thumb.jpg

A 107 leaves for Glasgow Central...

post-7247-072410900 1285859388_thumb.jpg

As a 150 waits patiently to leave for Dundee...

post-7247-087694600 1285861418_thumb.jpg

and 27105 waits to head off for Haymarket after coming in from Dundee...

post-7247-075990300 1285859465_thumb.jpg

NIght falls on Waverley Bridge...

post-7247-052251900 1285859582_thumb.jpg

Incredibly, back in 1981 someone had the foresight to take a Google Earth style view of Waverley early one winter's morning, clearly showing a Deltic about to depart for Aberdeen...

post-7247-084239600 1285860934_thumb.jpg

Will post some pics of my HST coaches as they're now nearing completion. I still have to decide on how I'm going to do the window frames yet though. Not that I'm putting it off or anything...

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

:lol: Well I do bother and I have seen them ones:P I want more.;) I like the other pics don't think I have seem them before.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave

Loving the photos as always when ever I take a look and I see them popping up elsewhere on the forum, Love the High photo of the station end, I noticed there are a lot of Points in that picture, I counted at least 11 Point and then the same at the other end that's a lot of point, What points do you use... are they Peco...?

How many Points do you have total for all the Layout...?

Keep the photos coming and specially those that capture the SUN on the LENS of the camra, you take some out of this world Pictures of this layout.

Speak again soon

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

More magic photos Dave :good_mini:

Have you had any chance to take a video of your signals in action yet? :wink_mini:

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

I made a few videos for you last night, hopefully showing the signals in action. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I hadn't forgotten you!

First up is 37043 leaving Waverley with a westbound parcels train. The video shows the route setting I use with my ZTC 511. Each route sets a predetermined number of points and signals.

In this video, the 37 gets the road for 'X' tunnel, which is the second one from the left. The Mound Tunnels are lettered W, X, Y and Z (not sure what happened to tunnels A - V!). With so many points and signals involved, the sequence takes a little while (just like the real thing I guess!), so please be patient. The quality of the video after uploading isn't all that great, but hopefully you can see the signals change.

In this video, watch the signal closest to the camera. The signal gradually clears as the route is set and the theatre indicator changes to 'X'. The signals revert to red when I activate another route (not automatically yet unfortunately).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24DI0k201k

Will post another couple soon.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 3

Here's another one as promised....

This one shows a 150 leaving for Dundee as a 107 arrives from Glasgow Central...

This time watch the signal ahead of the 150. Again, it clears as the route is set for 'X' tunnel and then reverts to red after departure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWe34el5V4g

Hopefully you can see what goes on despite the quality!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

...and finally for now, an HST for Aberdeen leaves followed closely by 47461 bound for Inverness.

If you can see it, watch the signal ahead of the HST until it departs and then the one in front of the 47. The signal for the HST first clears to indicate tunnel 'Y', the third from the left and then reverts to red after departure. The signal ahead of the 47 then gradually clears as the route is set. There is no theatre on this signal (as per the prototype) as trains can only depart through tunnel 'X'.

I think the quality of this video after uploading is probably so bad you can't see it (in which case my humble apologies! :rolleyes: ). But maybe you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATIQYGrsBk

It all takes a little time, but as I say that's prototypical I guess.

Because of the depth of focus and the confined spaces, doing an interesting closeup wouldn't be easy, but maybe I could try.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

They are superb videos, I do like those signals but what really got me is you seem to have the sound matched with the speed,even when you back off on the 47 and powered up again which is something I have noticed on a few models dosn't match, is it a case of playing with the settings? I have been looking at DCC a bit recently, so it may well happen on Llanbourne.:D

Cheers Peter.

That's amazing Dave - you could get a job with S&T any day with that sort of route setting.

Thanks Stewart! Hope the hip is improving every day.

Hi Dave,

They are superb videos, I do like those signals but what really got me is you seem to have the sound matched with the speed,even when you back off on the 47 and powered up again which is something I have noticed on a few models dosn't match, is it a case of playing with the settings? I have been looking at DCC a bit recently, so it may well happen on Llanbourne.:D

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. I always reduce the acceleration rate, usually to an absolute minimum (i.e. a high acceleration CV setting). I also decrease the deceleration rate so that I can take off the power and let locos coast more like the real thing. Sometimes I'll alter other settings, like the mid-range speed and top speed but it's mostly the acceleration and deceleration that I change.

With the acceleration rate down, I can pile on the power, get lots of thrash and still only pull away relatively slowly. It makes driving both more fun and more realistic I think. All that's missing is some clag and the smell of diesel fumes. Not sure Mrs WW would approve of me adding those quite so much though. :D

You know DCC on Llanbourne is only a matter of time. Go on, give it a go. You'll never look back. :D

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Really like your recent photos and the videos are great as well. I am quite jealous of your signalling whilst I can't see them clearly I can make out what is going on and the way they change with the routes being set and the indicators at the top make them absoulutly top notch and nice to see some very realistic train movements on a model as well. Please keep sharing them with us on here!

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Stewart! Hope the hip is improving every day.

SLow but sure, Dave - managed a walk to get my paper this morning, which is the furthest I've been since I injured myself, all of 600 yards each way, and took 30 minutes, but that was with a lot of "what's happened to you" type chats with other villagers who hadn't seen me around for about three months!

Hi Dave

Loving the photos as always when ever I take a look and I see them popping up elsewhere on the forum, Love the High photo of the station end, I noticed there are a lot of Points in that picture, I counted at least 11 Point and then the same at the other end that's a lot of point, What points do you use... are they Peco...?

How many Points do you have total for all the Layout...?

Keep the photos coming and specially those that capture the SUN on the LENS of the camra, you take some out of this world Pictures of this layout.

Speak again soon

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Just noticed that I forgot to answer your questions. There are 35 points on the layout in total, all Peco code 75, except on the concrete sleepered mainline section. They'are code 100 there to match the plainline track. They're all a mixture of medium radius points and long radius points wherever I can fit them in. I deliberately avoided using short radius points though, for both running and realism reasons. There are also a few large radius curved points plus a three-way point in the depot to save space and add a bit of interest.

Backlit pictures of the layout won't be so common now until the spring I'm afraid, as the sun doesn't reach round far enough to that window at this time of year. I will get back to doing them then though! Might be a few more night shots for the time being instead.

SLow but sure, Dave - managed a walk to get my paper this morning, which is the furthest I've been since I injured myself, all of 600 yards each way, and took 30 minutes, but that was with a lot of "what's happened to you" type chats with other villagers who hadn't seen me around for about three months!

Glad to hear it Stewart. You'll get there! (better I mean, not the paper shop!). :D

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Peter. I always reduce the acceleration rate, usually to an absolute minimum (i.e. a high acceleration CV setting). I also decrease the deceleration rate so that I can take off the power and let locos coast more like the real thing. Sometimes I'll alter other settings, like the mid-range speed and top speed but it's mostly the acceleration and deceleration that I change.

With the acceleration rate down, I can pile on the power, get lots of thrash and still only pull away relatively slowly. It makes driving both more fun and more realistic I think. All that's missing is some clag and the smell of diesel fumes. Not sure Mrs WW would approve of me adding those quite so much though. :D

You know DCC on Llanbourne is only a matter of time. Go on, give it a go. You'll never look back. :D

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will try and remember that, :D I want to have loco's leaveing the station and giving a bit of thrash. I did try and do the burnt diesel smell, a friend off mine drop in some diesel and we tried to burn it by soaking a rag and lighting that, all it did was fill my garage with smoke and bits of burnt rag.:D Sad I know but it was worth a try.

I have been looking at an NCE powercab but not sure about the wheel type throttle as I used the knob type :O I am a bit worried about the shunting ability as I have to stop over the uncouplers and ease up to uncouple. A friend of mine has one so I will have to go and have a play.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick post to say that I was in Edinburgh last week and spent a few spare hours loitering around Waverley Station (and enjoying the chinese takeaway on the bridge).

I have to say that, having seen the real thing compared to your model, the real thing is almost as good as your efforts. Well done.

Thanks guys.

Hi folks,

It's been a bit sparse on the updates front recently for various reasons but I have been working away on the two HST power cars and these are now more or less complete.

I'll post a few more pics when I get the tripod back from my mum (how dare she take her tripod) but in the meantime here are a few pics of them. I'm quite pleased with them. They are fitted with SWD sound chips and bass reflex speakers. The bass speakers are definitely an improvement over my other HST power cars which just have a normal speaker with a sound (resonance?) chamber.

The trailer cars are also nearly finished but I've decided to use the impending Shawplan window frame etchings and laser cut windows so these are likely to be delayed a while.

Hope you like them...

First up is 43064 City of York at speed...

post-7247-014736900 1289215667_thumb.jpg

Followed by 43198 waiting at the platform as it gets the road...

post-7247-053579000 1289215750_thumb.jpg

And later at speed. 43198 has the typical HST oil spill down its bodyside...

post-7247-027019100 1289215808_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Those shots are superb, you have done a cracking job on those power cars - the weathering especially brings that livery to life so well you can almost smell the exhaust as it flies past - now if only we could capture that as well in this scale!

Mark

Great weathering, love the customary oil stain down the side. I agree with Mark it really brings the power car to life, they do look good in that livery.

I can just imagine the engine revving up and the burst of exhaust heading up into the sky before it slowly creeps forward to depart…….