Traction tyres

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I need some guidance please regarding traction tyres. I need some for repairing Hornby tender drive locos. Is there any reference available for these, as there seems to be a variation to them with different models? Also info for both Airfix and Mainline replacements would be very helpful.

Thanks if anybody out there can help.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Evening John,

Youe could try the usual sources such as East Kent Models and Ebay sellers do advertise spares such as traction tyres depending on your loco type.

Have heard good things about this stuff however:

http://www.hamodels.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=864

I would like to add that I have no connection to either company except I use H&A Models regularly and they provide an excellent service.

Cheers,

Mark

I too required a set recently, to repair an old Airfix rebuilt Royal Scot. I eventually tracked down what I wanted via Google - it led me to an eBay advert which also advised [i think] that the same tyres would fit the Dean Goods tender-drive, as well as a number of other tender mechanisms. I was surprised at the cost [not particularly cheap], and they also came in packs of ten, not wholly helpful.

I'll look for the dealer's name and pm you later [if I find it].

Tony.

Youe could try the usual sources such as East Kent Models and Ebay sellers do advertise spares such as traction tyres depending on your loco type.

Have heard good things about this stuff however:

I guess if you still use traction tyres you already don't care about keeping your rails clean.

I like the bit about "sets at room temperature" - I have visions of opening the jar once, taking a tooth pick full out to use, replacing the cap and next time you return to use it, you have a jar of set "rubber"....

• RMweb Gold

I like the bit about "sets at room temperature" - I have visions of opening the jar once, taking a tooth pick full out to use, replacing the cap and next time you return to use it, you have a jar of set "rubber"....

This is true Kenton!:O

Hopefully, this wouldn't be the case though!:lol: It was reviewed in Model Rail/Hornby Magazine recently and no reports of lumps of rubber appearing before the eyes!

Cheers,

Mark

This is true Kenton!:O

Hopefully, this wouldn't be the case though!:lol: It was reviewed in Model Rail/Hornby Magazine recently and no reports of lumps of rubber appearing before the eyes!

Cheers,

Mark

No, but getting a nice thin even coating on the wheels is not easy. If you don't the locomotive wobbles down the track like a drunken sailor. (No offence intended to sailors)

Archived