ECOS 50200 Command Station

resin001

• RMweb Gold

Hello

I am a new member , having joined today.

I currently have a fixed layout in my garage that is now coming up to its 25th birthday and as such have decided to dismantle later this year and rebuild from scratch ( funded from mortgage payments which end in March and a very understanding wife ! )

Originally the layout was built to DC standards and converted approx 4 years ago to DCC with Lenz equipment . I have Lenz Set 100 / 3 x LS150s for turnout control / LK100 for reverse loop

I have looked at the ECoS 50200 command station and drawn up a list of positives and negatives against my current system as follows:

Positives - Colour touch screen / 2 Dials / Route setting / shuttle system ( I currently use Heathcote shuttle on DC using DPDT switching between DCC and DC ) / built in computer interface / loco icons

Negatives - Start up is slow / No obvious hand held controller - I dont want Dynamis which I believe can / will be connectable

As you can see I have so far only two negatives ( price is not an issue , it is affordable ) - Note the new layout will not require a reverse loop and turnouts will be operated with slow action motors combined with feedback - so LK100 and LS150 will be redundant

My question therefore is are current users of the ECoS system satisfied , have they found any drawbacks that my research so far has not uncovered ?

I have joined the ECoS forum , but they have limited access until you actually buy the kit !!

I have an ECoS 50000 (black & white) and it is an excellent bit of kit. You can still use our Lenz Point Decoders no porblem with it - I do and it is fine.

Another advantage you missed off is the panel screen, you can draw plans of your track and add points/routes etc to it.

Also if you have an Iphone or Ipod touch you can drive trains through it by connecting a router to it, well worth looking at touchcab if you do.

Just remembered another one. ECoS has a sniffer port on the back, you can plug any controller into it to act as an external controller. I use an NCE Powercab, but have used a Dynamis and I am sure the Lenz controller will do the same. All you need to do is give your locos a sniffer address. Easily done in the ECoS loco edit screen.

• RMweb Gold

I am interested in your post. I switched from the Lenz system to the ECoS about 2 months ago. I hate it and will probably change back.

The touch screen is great, but I find it glitchy and slow. In the middle of an operating session it will suddenly re-boot (causing all the points to reset in a totally arbitrary way). The touch screen, though good, is limited if you operate a large layout (I can't fit the whole layout into a single screen). I can't bear being tethered to the control unit (rather than walking around the room with LH100s) and whilst I also bought 2 radio controllers, they have rubbish battery life and have to have locos individually assigned to them.

My top tip is don't do it! I would have been much better buying a whizzy touch-screen PC and PC interface, and sticking with my tried, tested and trusty Lenz system.

In fact, I haven't had an enjoyable operating session since I bought it. Very frustrating.

There we are, I've said it now.

Good luck.

• RMweb Gold

UK_PM , thanks for your feedback and advise - Have you a " duff " unit ? I would certainly investigate.

I dont like the radio controllers , I would prefer a basic hand held , so that I can walk around the layout occasionally , driving a few trains here and there - using an LH90 and my existing Lenz command station connected to the EcoSniffer could be a solution , although I would prefer to sell the Lenz system.

I like the idea of a touch screen interface and will look at your suggestion - touch screen laptop / railroad & co traincontroller / lenz command sytem / lenz interface. ( although this could be beyond my budget )

I have had ECoS 50000 since Nov 06 and absolutely love it

Prior to ECoS I had Lenz 10 yrs updated as updates became available.

I have Lenz V3.6 connected to ECoS thru sniffer port using LH100/90 hand controls and also LenzXPA cordless (not mobile) phone module.

I also have the old ESU Mobile (radio)control which is now discontinued by ESU but at the moment is still working great.

Will update to the ESU Control Radio when Mobile Control ceases to work.

IMHO ECoS is the easiest and most intuitive DCC system to learn and use. Programing is an absolute doddle.

Having worked in large HS I became familiar with most systems.

I may, one day, update to the colour ECoS but at this time I am very happy with my B&W ECoS.

The colour of the screen won't alter how I op my trains nor make them run any better.

BTW slow motion point motors can be successfully op with Lenz LS150s.

ALL my points are op DCC with LS150s. I don't use slow motion point motors ( Peco P-motors)but have set up slow motions for other modelers using LS150s.

ECoS? Would not be without it.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for comments Sunnysa - I didnt realise the panel screen could be split in this way - an obvious benefit

I have connected one slow motion turnout motor succesfully to the LS150 as a replacement for a Peco snapper - it works OK on my set up . I may still keep the LS150's

Is the Lenz system easy to configure with the EcoSniffer ?

Regards

i have colour ECoS having used black and white for several years

it has always been reliable and is certainly easy to use.

have their radio control unit as well which gives you mobility.

as always though before investing £500 or £600 you should try it out.

if you are near digitrains (just a satisfied customer) then go along and try it first

kspoons

Thanks for comments Sunnysa - I didnt realise the panel screen could be split in this way - an obvious benefit

I have connected one slow motion turnout motor succesfully to the LS150 as a replacement for a Peco snapper - it works OK on my set up . I may still keep the LS150's

Is the Lenz system easy to configure with the EcoSniffer ?

Regards

Just connect the J K wires from Lenz command station to sniffer port of ECoS and power up. The lenz must have its own power supply as normal.

It should work it really is that simple.

Ian

Hi

Just read the posts. I bought the ECoS colour version in December and have had a little trouble in setting it up to download the user defined images of locos. This was more down to my ineptitude with computers than the ECoS and now I have it up and running with my laptop I have all the images loaded.

I am about to build a new layout having moved house and so the ECoS was something of a gamble, but having tested it on my short temporary track I think its great.

I am hoping it will also be "future proof" so that I dont have to think about upgrading in a few years.

I have used the Prodigy2 so far, but feel the ECoS leaves it behind by a long way ( nothing wrong with it - just my preference).

Keith

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Quick question please guys. What size wire should be used to connect the ECoS 50200 to the programming track? Would 7/0.2mm be sufficient and finally what amp rating should the wire be?

Apologies if the question appears dumb!

It depends on whether your programming track is:

1. completely separate from the layout and you have the "Programming Track Currentless" option ticked, or
  2. part of your layout.

If 1 then that should be OK as in programming mode the maximum current is limited, and when not being used for programming it will be dead.

If 2 then use your normal DCC bus wire and wire it up in the same way as the rest of your layout as if there was a short on the programming track when it was in layout use it will need to be heavy enough to ensure that the ECoS will register the short and cut off the power. 

Archived