Subscriber Benefits

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Having recently picked up my first copy of Hornby Magazine, I'm reasonably pleased with it. As such, it is on my short list to replace Model Railroader, my subscription for that expiring with the March issue. So I looked at the subscription page, to see how much and how many issues etc. Under the banner heading "Great Subscriber Benefits" it states "Hornby Magzine (sic) offers unrivalled content and superb coverage of the bus and coach industry".

My sole copy has nothing about buses or coaches, but quite a lot of good stuff about model railways. Have I just been lucky, or does someone not know what their own publication is about - despite the clue in its name?

According to their website Ian Allan also publish four magazines to do with buses and coaches, so it sounds like the dreaded block copy at work. Just be glad you haven't got any content from their freemasonry magazine!

Anyway if it's Hornby magazine shouldn't it tell us all we ever wanted to know about the places of that name in Lancashire, Yorkshire, New Zealand and upstate New York?

• RMweb Gold

According to their website Ian Allan also publish four magazines to do with buses and coaches, so it sounds like the dreaded block copy at work. Just be glad you haven't got any content from their freemasonry magazine!

Don't tell me - it's called "What Lodge?"

• RMweb Gold
Don't tell me - it's called "What Lodge?"

Some say it's called "The Square" - or even "The Craft" - while others say it's a secret...

All I know is this geezer shakes your hand when you buy a copy...

Joking aside, I don't know - and I'm not sure I want to know.

Likewise, I don't even wish to know who, on any model railway forums, is a Mason. I'm not - but I don't have a problem with people who are. As far as I'm concerned, it's their life - their choice - and they're welcome to it. Live and let live - and all that.

As far as I'm concerned, it's probably best to leave it at that.

• RMweb Gold
I'm a subscriber and in over a year there's been nothing about buses and coaches except from a few articles about modeling them and adding passengers.

Articles like that can be quite interesting - a bit like detailing the interiors of carriages, but these ones don't move.

Adding lights could also be interesting - especially concealing the wiring - as a lot of OO and O scale buses seem to be diecast metal.

OK, I'm sure it could be done - I suspect quite a few of us could come up with ideas for this but, as I've never tried it, I think I'd better keep quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've just checked the March Issue and the subscriber offer is 14 issues for the price of 12, plus a choice of free EFE model, bascially one of 5 buses or a Bedford TK 'Ribble service'.

All a bit odd? One might have expected a free wagon in a choice of smaller scales or something like that. Many railway modellers have no need for a 1/76th scale bus! The online site quotes a simple "14 issues for the price of 12" benefit for subscribers. No mention of buses!

• RMweb Premium

I think BRM had the best subscriber scheme a few years back, no 'free' gifts of probably marginal use, just a % discount on the price of a given number of issues. Kept me subscribing for a couple more years than I had intended.

• 7 months later...

And pigs might well fly someday.........

I've stopped buying British magazines in the 'States, not just because I'm cheap and they are expensive comparatively speaking (The last time I bought 3 at once and spent close to $40.00). It's the fact that most of the information and Layouts featured are usually (but not always) on RMWeb first.

I've always found "Hornby Magazine" to be the model equivalent of a "coffee table magazine" - I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something not quite satisfying about it somehow.

Best, Pete.

Archived