Fox Waterslide Transfers

Hi all,

I thought that I would spend my Sunday renumbering my Bachmann BR Blue Class 37s, so after researching which prototype numbers I needed I set to work removing the old numbers with a cocktail stick and some nail varnish remover, incidentally, it took quite a while to do one loco, but I had a shortcut, or so I thought.

What I had planned to do was to leave the factory applied '37' numbers in place and just remove the 3 digit number I was going to replace, up to now everything went okay until I came to apply the new 3 digit number, the Fox Transfers are smaller than the factory applied transfers and look wrong next to the original '37' number so this means that the entire cabside numbers will have to be removed then re-applied using the Fox transfer set.

Instead of checking first, I assumed that the 4mm Fox transfers would be the same size as the originals but they aren't.

I thought I would post this incase others have the same idea as I had.........it won't work!

Regards

Michael

Fox do state on their literature ( I believe it was included in the latest blurb sent out with orders?) that they make their transfers accurate tl prototype size whereas you cannot rely on the RTR guys to do that. So always best to replace the whole number rather than part of it.

Just for general information the Fox large logo numbers are too large for some of the Scottish 47s and the large logo 37s.

Use Fox cab side numbers for Gauge 1 locos. 4.9mm in height compared to normal large logo numbers at 5.5mm. They look so much better.

Photo of 37033 using the Gauge 1 numbers:

post-7112-0-44934300-1296436125_thumb.jpg

Comparison between the two types on 47s:

post-7112-0-04866800-1296436170_thumb.jpg

sorry flood but could you clarify what size numbers you've used on the 47's on which ones and what gauge the 47's are

Both the Class 47s are OO gauge Heljan models.

47641 uses Gauge 1 cab side numbers by Fox (ref. F10310), these are 4.9mm high

47650 uses normal Fox large logo numbers (ref. 4315), these are 5.5mm high

Just for interest there is a photo of the real 47641 here and a photo of the real 47650 here.

Don't use the gauge 1 numbers for all of your large numbered locos though as the prototypes have different sizes as Floods pictures show. 641 clearly has smaller numbers than 650 in real life as well as on floods locos!

Cav

Archived