Uniditified locations, some more

I can see why you'd say that - the very high portion of the building to the London end is very reminiscent of the SM's accommodation at those stations - but a trawl through various sources has failed to find one with the nearer portion looking like this. Chard, Crewkerne etc all fall at this test, at least for me. The vehicles in the yard suggest the '50s at the earliest, I think. Just to enable others to offer a view, I've linked that shot 4 011

I admit my initial thought was Crewkerne: it really isn't. The lorries are Ford Thames ET6 in BR livery (so '50s though the photo seems c. 1960 in 'feel'). It looks very SR - the ground signal in the foreground is an SR type. The gas holders (or possibly oil tanks) must be a give-away to someone...

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I can't find anywhere between Exeter and Salisbury that looks like that although I can't find any pictures of either Milborne Port or Semley. I can list more than a few places on that stretch of line which it definitely isn't - Axminster, Chard Jcn, Crewkerne, Yeovil Jcn, Templecombe, Gillingham and Tisbury, and i can't make Sherborne fit either because of the surrounding area on the right side if nothing else..

Semley is here http://www.semleystation.com/ and is a much lower, more modest building. Milborne Port is in Southern Stations by Pryer and Bowring, and has the buildings on the down side, with the yard beyond, also on the down side. While I may be wrong about this pic's orientation (short shadows to the left of rail vehicles suggest the buildings are to the north of the line) the yard is opposite the buildings.

Semley is here http://www.semleystation.com/ and is a much lower, more modest building. Milborne Port is in Southern Stations by Pryer and Bowring, and has the buildings on the down side, with the yard beyond, also on the down side. While I may be wrong about this pic's orientation (short shadows to the left of rail vehicles suggest the buildings are to the north of the line) the yard is opposite the buildings.

I've had another look at this photo. The parked van on the left has poster on it advertising the "something, posably Great, Show Petworth" This makes me wonder if we are not barking up the wrong tree here and the station is somewhere in Sussex! The station name on the lampost seems to be one word and many letters, maybe ten or more. The building behind the station is a pub.

I've still no idea where this is!

Thanks for your thoughts one and all.

Paul

I've had another look at this photo. The parked van on the left has poster on it advertising the "something, posably Great, Show Petworth" This makes me wonder if we are not barking up the wrong tree here and the station is somewhere in Sussex! The station name on the lampost seems to be one word and many letters, maybe ten or more. The building behind the station is a pub.

I've still no idea where this is!

Thanks for your thoughts one and all.

Paul

Yes Paul, I agree, I don't think this is anywhere west of Basingstoke.

By this date a fair amount of the line to the West Country had received flatbottom track, but this is still bullhead.

Still no idea where it is though..... :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

Sussex is difficult. Bear in mind that by WW2, all the principal routes had been electrified, except the Hastings line, which didn't have stations like this. This is clearly a main line, wherever it is so I don't think it's the Horsham-Shoreham line - too important-looking. Given that the Portsmouth Direct had also been electrified, we are looking West thereof, which moves us towards Portsmouth - Southampton, and I don't think this looks right for that line. I'm increasingly convinced it isn't Southern at all.

I've left a comment for 2 050:

"Might be the disused (and since then largely removed) chord that connected what is now the District & Piccadilly lines at Ravenscourt Park station towards the Hammersmith & City route and at one time Kensington Olympia?

The buildings look London-ish, and beyond the removed street bridge is what looks like the flying junction which is about the only bit of the route still there.

If correct that would make the road with the removed bridge Beadon Road? Terraces in the background right Leamore St and Cambridge Grove."

• RMweb Gold

I've left a comment for 2 050:

"Might be the disused (and since then largely removed) chord that connected what is now the District & Piccadilly lines at Ravenscourt Park station towards the Hammersmith & City route and at one time Kensington Olympia?

The buildings look London-ish, and beyond the removed street bridge is what looks like the flying junction which is about the only bit of the route still there.

If correct that would make the road with the removed bridge Beadon Road? Terraces in the background right Leamore St and Cambridge Grove."

In the same vein, I've commented "Not far from Hammersmith Broadway, then, and the garage bottom right is called Broadway Garage! You might be right, Martyn!"

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

The answer to picture 4 011 is Crowborough. good photos on the disused stations web site,

There we are then. I said Sussex was difficult - and Crowborough is (was) actually in - er - Sussex! Oh, well - only 13 minutes 'til I open the wine, at least!

• RMweb Gold

I don't want to be a party pooper, and the work system won't let me check the flickr site, but Crowborough is very much still open, and as such doesn't warrant an entry in the disused stations site. Either Colin has the name or the site wrong.

Colin is spot on. Disused Stations has simply done a whole recent exercise on all the stations leading to Tunbridge Wells West (which I closed!), be they open or closed, and several of the Crowborough pics corroborate absolutely Colin's claim.

• 4 months later...

My assertion that this headcode is Waterloo-Shepperton via Richmond is based upon examination of SEmG's page on EMU headcodes, nothing more or less. It is certainly there to be challenged by more compelling evidence!

EDIT I have assumed this is South Western. Each of the other two districts used the S and bar code, but for the Central it was Selhurst via Streatham Common, which is 4-track all the way to Selhurst. On the SE it seems to be almost anything via Bexleyheath to Dartford, Gillingham and Maidstone West. Perhaps some scope there for pre-war days before suburbia had built alongside?

SECOND EDIT The fencing nearest the camera looks fairly normal, but that beyond the tracks has an additional curved bar above each post, implying a greater degree of separation from the neighbour on that side - military or similarly sensitive land?

I know this thread is a few months old, but whilst browsing I spotted a picture that looks like this shot (4 061) could be Belmont on the Epsom Downs branch. Belmont

Archived