OTA-E (timber wagon) 200944

Ragtag

Hi folks,

hoping to pick the brains of the parish here. In anticipation of Hornby and Bachmann's forthcoming OTAs, I've started to make a model of a more unusual member of the class (picture below).

http://ukrailrollingstock.fotopic.net/p22242068.html

I believe that this wagon was a prototype designated OTA-E and was a one-off, introduced in mid-1988, but would be grateful for any more info anyone could provide. Additional photos would also be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

• RMweb Gold

It appears to be a converted VDA van, but the ribs look slightly different to most other VDAs:

http://dennistaylor..../p66652614.html

http://carl-watson.f.../p64489276.html

Perhaps it was converted from the prototype VDA? Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Hi all,

One off conversion as requested by Forestry Commission.

Designed to be faster and easier to unload with a grab and also reduce the damage done to the logs when loaded.

You need a picture of it loaded to see the effect and make it apparent why all this for one wagon.

Downside was reduced wiegh capacity due ot increased unladen weight.

Try searching on Fotopic for Bernard Harrison.

I have a scanned copy of one of his which includes this wagon in a rake of OTA's.

Thanks

Many thanks to all who've replied so far, especially to Phil. I already had it down as an ex-VDA but neglected to mention this above.

A little digging turned up this: http://bernard-harri.../p26756515.html

I'm a little unclear about how this design would be faster/easier to unload. Is it to do with fewer stanchions, and larger spaces between them?

Slightly off-topic but if you're modelling one off timber wagons then you might be interested in a wagon pictured in International Train-Ferry Wagons in colour for the modeller and historian by David Ratcliffe. It's a conversion from a curtain-sided bogie wagon to a timber carrier by the removal of the hood and the addition of stanchions and coded IOB. It essentially looks like a giant OTA, similar to the more recent cargowaggon conversions, but carried out in 1990.

Slightly off-topic but if you're modelling one off timber wagons then you might be interested in a wagon pictured in International Train-Ferry Wagons in colour for the modeller and historian by David Ratcliffe. It's a conversion from a curtain-sided bogie wagon to a timber carrier by the removal of the hood and the addition of stanchions and coded IOB. It essentially looks like a giant OTA, similar to the more recent cargowaggon conversions, but carried out in 1990.

There were a couple like this- one was a Tiphook hooded flat, the other from the small Cargowaggon fleet. The Cargowaggon one also worked on steel bar traffic from Rotherham.

Incidentally, GERS have had a lot of the former Sfins 'vans' ( formely used for things like fertilizer traffic etc) converted in a similar style to the OTA. They've got Dutch registration, and are intended for mainland European work.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst it's possibly straying more into the realm of the Advice Centre, can anyone suggest suitable parts to model the fittings on the wagon sides used to strap the timber load down?

Hi Ragtag,

I presume that you mean the rachets to tighten the straps?

If so...

5mm C shape plastic channel with 1mm hole drilled through then add a rod through that.

Add a 2mm disc to one end to represent the ratchet gear itself.

See photo...

Photo Copyright John Howell.

Thanks

post-6887-0-68966800-1296603923_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Progress so far:

attachicon.gifP1010166.JPG

Several details still to add but I think it's starting to capture the look. The camera appears to have given it a rather shiny, plasticy look which isn't visible on the real model.

This conversion was written up in DEMU UpDate.

Pic of superstructure attached (I hope)

post-24469-0-61579400-1414958114.jpg

Archived