expoEM Bracknell 14-15 May 2011

Gee Vee

Graeme,

Is there anywhere at the venue where I can park my pushbike for the weekend?

Bill

Blimey - you cycling from SE London. BIG RESPECT!!!!!!! You can park it next to the layout if you like. alternatively there are bike racks outside and a store room inside. What sort of bike have you got? There is some good off-road cycling down the road in Bracknell Forest (if they manage to put our the current forest fire...... OMG! what happens if it spreads to the leisure centre by Friday 13th!!!!! ??????

Graeme

That's a pity - still, I guess you can't please everyone all the time ;)

Aye, it's a shame about all the kettley piffle that's there. ;)

Pix - Hot footing it out of here...

• RMweb Premium

My guess is that if there are enough diesel exhibits to wind up the kettle lovers and enough steam exhibits to wind up the motorised sheds on wheels fans, the balance may be about right!! Anybody I haven't offended? ;) If there is, let me know so I can try harder!

There is some good off-road cycling down the road in Bracknell Forest (if they manage to put our the current forest fire...... OMG! what happens if it spreads to the leisure centre by Friday 13th!!!!! ??????

I think that is a long shot but roads to the south are in absolute chaos, and I spoke to a local fireman yesterday and he reckons they will be there well into the weekend. The underlying peat has caught fire (again!). Rumours of it having been deliberately started! The woodland around us is tinder dry all we don't need is some incendiaryist or careless fag smoker. Last year we had to call the police twice due to school kids bivouacking and lighting fires to dance drunkenly around. I don't understand the fascination with something as dangerous as fire. I was in Sandhurst yesterday afternoon and the smoke was quite acrid even there.

Just been down to West Wittering for the day from Wokingham and I would assume that the traffic issues have been resolved. Sandhurst was clear and it would appear the road from Sandhurst past Broadmoor to Bracknell was open. There were no road closed signs that I could see at Rackstraws...

Just been down to West Wittering for the day from Wokingham and I would assume that the traffic issues have been resolved. Sandhurst was clear and it would appear the road from Sandhurst past Broadmoor to Bracknell was open. There were no road closed signs that I could see at Rackstraws...

That's good news and all change from yesterday when they were turning folk around at Rackstraws crossing and sending them back to Camberley. The road through Sandhurst was still solid at 23:00 last night making me late! The winds have died down a bit today so they must have got it all under control and no smoke clouds.

• RMweb Premium

As of this afternoon we still had some roads closed, including the Nine Mile Ride and the road that crosses it from Bracknell near to the old road research laboratory. Our other leisure centre - Coral Reef - is still closed, as is the Look Out, which isn't surprising as it's actually in the forest. We also had three schools in Crowthorne closed yesterday, although that was mainly due to the gridlock that ensued when the roads around them were closed. I happened to see some Wiltshire fire engines entering the cordoned off area at about 5.30 this evening, so it looks like the fire brigade are still maintaining a signficant presence.

Getting back on topic, Bracknell Leisure Centre is comfortably away from the forest, so no worries there. It's also within walking distance of my house, so I've really got no excuse to not visit the show :)

Well, suddenly it seems like half the forum lives within 3 miles of me.

It may be a long way for some people, but Expo EM is the closest for me and I thought it was excellent last year. I'm certainly going to go, fire and work permitting. Would be good to meet some local RM Web members.

Iain

Well, suddenly it seems like half the forum lives within 3 miles of me.

Iain

So maybe Bracknell is the centre of the universe afterall??????

Seriously if you guys wanna organise an RMweb meet that would be great. could either do the usual gather around a layout or we could find a slot when the lecture room is free? or use the soft seating up stairs by the 2nd hand stand (but not between 12.00 and 2pm cos we need to set aside those seats for exhibitors to eat their lunch.

I might even be pursuaded to lay on some refreshment!!!! If I can I'd certainly get along.... good opportunity to get some feedback on the show.....

Graeme

Blimey - you cycling from SE London. BIG RESPECT!!!!!!! You can park it next to the layout if you like. alternatively there are bike racks outside and a store room inside. What sort of bike have you got? Graeme

Less respect, 'cos I'm using it down to Lee station, then from Bracknell to the venue. It's a Ridgeback hybrid and has become my standard transport, the car only gets used when I have a load or a passenger.

I'm operating on Yeoford, with a "two on, one off" shift pattern, so I shall be struggling to have time for a meet.

Bill

Price of admission says £7 non members includes spouse /Children I think? Can you please confirm as I will take my son too!Thanks :P

kids and partners/spouses are admitted free on your ticket - and its a weekend ticket so they can come both days....

An even better alternative is to drop the kids with mum up the road at Coral Reef which is a terrific splash pool with slides water jets etc etc and you can have an day mooching around the show free from distractions.... lol

Graeme

So maybe Bracknell is the centre of the universe afterall??????

Seriously if you guys wanna organise an RMweb meet that would be great. could either do the usual gather around a layout or we could find a slot when the lecture room is free? or use the soft seating up stairs by the 2nd hand stand (but not between 12.00 and 2pm cos we need to set aside those seats for exhibitors to eat their lunch.

I might even be pursuaded to lay on some refreshment!!!! If I can I'd certainly get along.... good opportunity to get some feedback on the show.....

Graeme

I guess RM web members will be easily spotted due to keyboard burns rather than flux stained finger tips? :drinks:

Looking forward to it. I have a very big thumb due to too much Blackberry use so will be easy to identify.

I'll be there if all goes well, and avoiding a family event in London to do so (shame!) What are the bus arrangements from the station? Or is it a fairly easy walk, assuming it's reasonably dry?

It's not a bad walk (perhaps 15-20 minutes?), there's a map on the website which is accurate enough.

Adam

Graeme,

I've heard a rumour there are engineering works on the railway line through Bracknell on Sunday. Is this true? If so, where is the nearest railhead towards Waterloo (remember I won't be allowed on any replacement bus service).

Bill

I have been looking on Google Street view for the entrance to the underpass from the overflow car park, but can't see it.

It's on the north side of the roundabout (i.e. Bracknell town centre side) and emerges almost opposite the Leisure Centre's main entrance.

Graeme,

I've heard a rumour there are engineering works on the railway line through Bracknell on Sunday. Is this true? If so, where is the nearest railhead towards Waterloo (remember I won't be allowed on any replacement bus service).

Bill

Looks like it http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/1105Summary.aspx#79669 I would guess that train to Guildford, then on to Camberley might work, it would be a very long walk, but should be OK on a bike I would think. Otherwise train to Ash Vale, walk across to North Camp then train to Wokingham or Crowthorne.

Jon

Archived