Harrow Model Shop Metropolitan A60

Wolf27

Hi All

Here's something you probably dont see very often in model form and. A London Transport A60 train

I built it in 1997 and last ran it in 2001, since then it has been in storage and had suffered quite badly. Two of the coaches had been crushed and badly bent the white metal castings, for a while it looked terminal but I had another look at it on Friday and got it back together. One of the vehicle ends has gone missing so I cast another using one as a pattern. It still needs some windows replacing but I may well do the whole lot as it looks a bit shabby. The cidition of the paintwork is deliberate to emulate the weatherbeaten look of a pre refubishment unit.

cheers

Shane

Very nice, Shane. I have some of the resin bodied versions to build, from Radley Models - of course, Phil Radley was the designer of the Harrow Models kits in the first place.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind me asking:

What colour did you use for the main body colour? I have sprayed a metallic silver on mine but it doesn't look right for the aluminium finish.

What powers your unit? I have standardised on Black Beetle motors but will need two of these for the a four car unit. Tenshodo SPUDs would also need two motors (at least).

Great to see a working A stock model! I used to travel on them from Northwood to Farringdon every day - watching your cars sway over the points takes me right back to the bumping, crashing, shaking and rattling that I enjoyed for an hour each morning and evening. I remember standing at the west end of Farringdon station watching A and C Stock wheels dropping heavily into the crossing gap on the trailing crossover and smiling when I recalled all the 4mm trackwork experts who wrote technical articles telling us why this was unprototypical in our models. I must return to my old haunts for a final thrash on a Fast Amersham before the A stock is finally sent to the knacker's yard.

Thanks for sharing the clip.

David

SR Man, its actually painted white but what I did was to leave parts of it unpainted, drivers cab and front emergency doors and corner posts. The white paint was applied vertically and it such a way as not to provide a solid even colour. I was going for a look to suggest that it had been treated for graffiti removal.

It is powered by two spuds, which are needed to shift it as its heavy. The weight also makes it buck and sway a bit more as well.

cheers

Shane

Thanks Shane. I will have to try a few experiments with grey primer and white paint. I have never been happy painting white as I always end up with lumps, streaks and blobs - maybe just what is needed!! ;)

Very nice.

I have painted my A60 with Steel Wheel paint from Halfords, applied thinly over white primer. I also lightly sprayed the roof matt black, leaving some of the rivets in silver. This seems to give a nice used look to the finish.

With my 3 car A60 with resin bodies runs with 1 spud. It runs fine, even on the reverse curves of my layout.

• RMweb Premium

Great to see a working A stock model! I used to travel on them from Northwood to Farringdon every day - watching your cars sway over the points takes me right back to the bumping, crashing, shaking and rattling that I enjoyed for an hour each morning and evening. I remember standing at the west end of Farringdon station watching A and C Stock wheels dropping heavily into the crossing gap on the trailing crossover and smiling when I recalled all the 4mm trackwork experts who wrote technical articles telling us why this was unprototypical in our models. I must return to my old haunts for a final thrash on a Fast Amersham before the A stock is finally sent to the knacker's yard.

Thanks for sharing the clip.

David

I'd get in quick if I was you, their going fast. If you want more information look at the 'districtdave' forum.

Archived