Parkside Dundas LNER Brakevan kit

Amongst a box of stuff cleared out from my folks's was a half completed LNER brakevan from Parkside Dundas. Looking at their website tells me this is no longer produced and while the construction is simple enough I'm a bit at sea as regards paint and numbers. Would anyone have one of these so I could have a look at the notes?

Thanks in advance

Steve

PS Thanks once again to Mr Bartlett for the info I have so far.

• RMweb Gold

Steve,

You could have a look at Paul Bartlett's site. Here's a link with a photo of an ex-LNER brakevan. Think it's the same as the Parkside version?

http://gallery6801.f.../p24250276.html

It's a shame Parkside still don't do this kit. I wouldn't mind one myself.

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry Steve. I've just noticed you'd been to Paul's sight already!:O

• 1 month later...

Cheers all. Apologies for the delay in coming back to this, life is a little hectic of late. By the look of things its a good job I looked at Paul's stuff sooner rather than later since fotopic appears now to be deceased. Anyway I'm still looking for a set of the P-D notes if anyone has them tucked away.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. Apologies for the delay in coming back to this, life is a little hectic of late. By the look of things its a good job I looked at Paul's stuff sooner rather than later since fotopic appears now to be deceased. Anyway I'm still looking for a set of the P-D notes if anyone has them tucked away.

Hi Steve, if it's PC14 you are looking for I'm looking at the sheet now if you want a copy e-mail me on mirreles@yahoo.co.uk with your address and I'll post it to you (FOC). Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve, you're welcome, heres a couple of NE 'Toads I built from this kit many years ago (so you'll have to forgive some crudities :blink: ).

post-10896-0-61774800-1300180861_thumb.jpg

A 'Toad' B as per the kit with some detail extras-metal buffer heads, three links, rof vents and wire handrails.

post-10896-0-79721900-1300180898_thumb.jpg

A 'Toad' E I chopped off the wooden duckets and replaced them with something resembling metal ones!! I cast this out of PVA (took ages to dry) in a mould of plasticine taken from the Airfix/Dapol BR 20T brake kit B). Those were th days! Don't copy these when you do yours as there may be inaccuracies (I did them 20 yrs ago).

Happy Toad building, Phil.

• 1 year later...

Being derived from a snail (posssibly), but now having less stress and more time available (definitely), I'm having a clear the backlog session. This is one of those items backed behind the logs and needs doing while the momentum is there.

So Questions. Buffers? Which ones? I note you have used two different ones Phil. I want wherever possible to use sprung ones. Axle guides? Which ones? I've a selection of Bill Bedford sprung items. Peter Tatlow's LNER Wagons book suggests RCH pattern, but would it be the heavier ones?

Cheers All

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve,

as mentioned these were done many years ago (over 20!) I really havn't the foggiest about the toad B buffers and they are probably incorrect, however I can say that the toad E carries MJT RCH buffers which is correct AFAIK for some Toad E vans (just looking at some pics in '4mm wagon part 3' by Geoff King). MJT do these sprung and unsprung.I can't help you with the chassis bits as mine are as per the kit.

Hope you get all that stuff from behind the logs done!

Happy New Year Phil.

Aye oop Phil and Happy New Year to you and yours. Ta for getting back to me so quickly. I'd forgotten about the 4mm Wagon series, so I foresee an evening of those, the Tatlow books, Sadler's NER Brakevans and Eric Gent's BR Brakevans as "constructive research" carried out to avoid the telly and maintain peace in the living room ;) . Somewher I've a couple of Hornby BR vans and a Bradwell/Airfix combo to go at too.

Archived