Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Then and now.........

BlackRat

Thought this might make an interesting thread, picturs of your layout, then, and as it is now!:blink:

See what or how your layout has changed, altered or evolved.

post-7061-0-36925200-1296760095_thumb.jpg

post-7061-0-59088700-1296760128_thumb.jpg

You can see the original layout with the clay dries and harbour above. The second picture shows the layout today with a new small station and engine shed.

The far line and the one in front is the key. The far line ended at a buffer stop just past the dries and the other line dissapered into a dry and into the fiddle yard.

Anyone got any similar?:D

Mine seems to have gone back in time to!!

Dropped the rear scenery by 4" and added a 6"extention to the front.

Filled in the harbour and added a goods area and built a shed and staithes.

Put in a road and overbridge, a loop, headshunt and extra siding.

Built a few signals, added a box and a few dozen trees and bushes.

Apart from that, no I didn't.

• RMweb Gold

Both pics look pretty convincing to me - maybe the dries scene looks good but has limited operational potential, perhaps. The new version has much more scope for movements, and is set in an era when there probably were more, too.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of before/afters from my old layout. It existed between 1996 and 2007 and at least until the last two or three years was in a state of total flux, since I didn't have a clue what I wanted and was making a lot of elementary mistakes such as trying to cram an entire main line into a few square feet. I didn't start documenting things until my wife got a digital camera in 2002.

This was one corner of the layout which had already been through many transformations when I developed this scene of a level crossing and a town with low-relief buildings. Believe it or not this was a marked improvement on what had been here before...

post-6720-0-52000200-1297025840_thumb.jpg

By the end of 2003 the town area was gone, replaced by less cramped country scenery with a few cottages. The level crossing and box remained unchanged. Over time I would continue to tone down the scenery here and add progressively more texture to the greenery; it stayed more or less like this until the layout was trashed. Note that the pink cottage and signal box are now doing time on Paynestown.

post-6720-0-36773500-1297025861_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the layout, this is the station area as it was until around 2003:

post-6720-0-58610400-1297026216_thumb.jpg

I wasn't too unhappy with this but the track layout was operationally limiting, I hated that reverse curve under the station bridge, and I was experiencing problems with sagging baseboards. In 2004 I demolished the entire station scene, stripped down and re-surfaced the baseboard, and then rebuilt the entire station a few feet to the right. The road bridge is where the old station building was.

post-6720-0-65218200-1297026382_thumb.jpg

As ropey as some of the modelling is, I didn't help matters by using flash on my camera; I was also on a learning curve with photography...

Archived