Southern 442's.

SWT442

Hi,

With a week off work soon, and a liking for the Class 442's, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what services they run on the Brighton line and the best places to catch them?

Any information gratefully received.

Andy.

Hi,

I believe that the Class 442's have now taken over most, if not all, London Victoria - Gatwick - Brighton Gatwick Express services.

The best place to catch them is at Gatwick I would of thought.

Simon

Currently it's "most" not "all" Gatex workings, there are a couple of 442 diagrams still being worked by 460s and a number of Victoria - Brighton turns are booked for 377s. A pair of 442s also does one Eastbourne - London Bridge in the morning peak and back in the evening, the units concerned berth at Streatham Hill during the day.

Besides Gatwick, East Croydon is another spot and unless you are desperate to see the Eastbourne workings then Clapham Jn is another.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

When they do the Brighton - Victoria run, do they run in a certain slot time everyday, or is it any time slot?

Andy.

There are specific trains diagrammed for 442s so all things being equal those trains will be worked by 442s. Currently however all things are not equal as not all of the fleet has been recommisioned yet and there have been shortages in recent weeks due to traction motor snow damage. So, as I said earlier, 2 diagrams are being worked by 460s and ad-hoc substitutions by 377s can occur if insufficient 442s are available on any given day.

• RMweb Premium

Added to which the 442 diagrams to / from Brighton are occasionally covered by 460's for the time being which offers a very rare opportunity to travel on one of these south of Gatwick. Previously they haven't been passed for operation anywhere other than Gatwick - Victoria and are due for imminent retirement as soon as the full fleet (herd?) of "Plastic Pigs" is in traffic.

Currently the 06.45 Victoria - Brighton and 08.13 return are diagrammed for a 460 but with only four remaining on lease there is no guarantee these trips will produce.

The timings of these trips seems inordinately generous (read "slack" if you like) with 68 minutes down and 67 up for only the single intermediate stop at Gatwick. Granted this is a booked 8 minute stand on the 06.45 and 4 on the 08.13 but compared with the 51 minutes of the 2-stops "Brighton Express" workings ..... :unsure: The preceding train on the up main (the 07.30 Littlehampton, 08.08 off Hove) actually has the same booking over the same distance but makes 7 calls and with a slightly slower start to account for the speed restriction on Cliftonville curve!

Archived