The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Starting problems with my laptop

LH&JC

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

When I turn on my laptop it fires up normally but it struggles to actually start after logging on, Windows freezes and it takes around 10 minutes for the laptop to be ready for use. Once its got going it's a quick as it ever was. This only started yesterday evening, it was fine in the morning, in that time I didn't install anything or change any settings. I've scanned the laptop for viruses, and carried out an analysis and cleanup of it, with the outcome that it is somewhat quicker.

But I think that I have diagnosed the problem myself, I've been getting an error message from AVG stating that there is an unknown error, I've never had any problems with AVG so I'm wondering if the error is meaning that the laptop is very slow on start up. Should I uninstall then reinstall AVG or is something more drastic required?

What operating system are you using ?

If you have system restores, I would roll back to the one prior to the problem starting. You might have a corrupt update file. This will not erase any data, only anything that has been installed. Its an easy first line fix before you go to the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling anything.

Try downloading and running CC Cleaner. This is a registry and startup cleanup program that will remove any remants of old installs you no longer need. You can also turn off start up programs as well.

I had a problem with my ancient IBM Thinkpad the other day, when it flatly refused to start - Lights came on but pressing the start button did nothing - on taking it down the road to my techie-person the following morning and explaining - we plugged it in and it behaved quite normally. He told me that occasionally the system doesn't discharge properly on closedown - the cure is to unplug everything, including the battery, wait ten minutes, put the battery back in and then plug back in and start up again. Whether that will help solve your problem, I don't know - but I offer it as a possibility.

• RMweb Gold

From the symptoms described, remove AVG completely and then reinstall before trying anything else.

It will be reasonably obvious if it was AVG as the reboot after removing it will be a lot quicker.

Get the computer up and running. Then go to Microsoft's OneCare web page and get OneCare to run a scan and repair.

Alternatively use AVG PC TUNEUP 2011 which is free for one use. Whether you then buy it is up to you.

Get the computer up and running. Then go to Microsoft's OneCare web page and get OneCare to run a scan and repair.

Alternatively use AVG PC TUNEUP 2011 which is free for one use. Whether you then buy it is up to you.

Apparently OneCare is no longer available, having been superseded by a different product. But the AVG product is good.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is definately with AVG, I can't uninstall it! My only recovery point is when I chose to try and uninstall AVG 10 minutes ago. Great just great. :angry::angry::angry:

Go on their website - there might be a removal tool

Edit -

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=110317

links to

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-tools

I don't mean to shout but DO NOT INSTALL PCTUNE UP!

I tried this and it caused no end of trouble,together with the new version of AVG it slowed my PC down to an unusable crawl which resulted in me uninstalling AVG completely (after several problem free years of use) and installing microsoft security essentials which has been fine ever since, despite having a general resistance to Microsofts own products.

If you can use RUN and MSCONFIG which will give you a selective startup option where you can disable AVG starting up.You may need to do this in Safe Mode.Once you've got the laptop booting up without problems, try installing Security Essentials which if I recall will automatically remove AVG for you.Finally use Regedit or Glary registry repair (free program) to remove all traces of AVG.Good luck!

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I've fixed it with the nuclear option, the best option in my mind. :D It's now back to how it was when I got it, uninstalling AVG didn't do the trick something was wrong with Windows but a full reset has worked. It's a good thing I anticipated this yesterday and put my recent documents and photos on my memory stick and I'm visiting my parents next week so I can put the older stuff back on it.

Good old nuclear option!

Archived