How to stop Matt Black wearing off?

The question is in the topic title. Matt Black paint wears off almost as quickly as I apply it.............

Now for the fine details........

Preparation

THOROUGH washing with Cillit Bang. Allow to dry. Wash again with methelated spirits. Allow to dry. DON'T TOUCH.

Painting

Metal - Precision Paints aerosol etch primer applied thinly and allowed to dry for 24 hours. Railmatch Weathered Black hand painted in two or three coats, allowed to dry in between.

Plastic - Railmatch Weathered Black hand painted in two or three coats, allowed to dry in between

Allow to dry for 24 hours before handling. But then, the paint starts to rub off with three or four times of handling

Now I know that Matt Black has a reputation for being soft and that Railmatch paint has a reputation for not covering but I don't think that that's the whole answer. What am I doing wrong?

Regards, Steve

I would nearly always prime even on plastic and then give it a good licking of varnish after. You could always use gloss or satin black and knock it back after with matt varish if you prefer.

Cheers

Cav

• RMweb Premium

Its well worth chemically blackening metal parts before painting; then if the paint does wear off you dont get the bright shiny brass showing through. You dont need to blacken the whole model, just the edges and areas where it will be handled.

Dave.T

Apparently this stuff comes highly recommended as Matt finishes go, which should solve your black problem fairly nicely. I've started varnishing certain areas on vehicles more heavily than others where I know that thye are going to get handled or knocked as I know what it is like to paint something and then find that a few months later you have rubbed some of the paint off.

I have used a nice smelly marker and permament marker on smaller parts either metal or plastic before applying paint.

Several years ago now I bought up one shop's supply of Casey products whislt over in the USA so much cheaper then than here and it lasts!

Ian

I have used a nice smelly marker and permament marker on smaller parts either metal or plastic before applying paint.

I've tried this and it works after a fashion. I always keep a black marker in my exhibition tool box and pounce on brass or whitemetal if I see it shining through. With the barriers in place, people are 2-3 ft away from the layout and the black spirit ink isnt too noticeable...........

Archived