LNE diag 120 "Pigeon Vans"

Were the springs 4'6" or 6'0"?

The John Edgeson (Isinglass) drawing (normally infallible) and the Campling drawing in "Historic Carriage Drawings" vol 3 both say 4'6" whereas the D&S kit and the drawing with it are 6'0". The Chivers kit is, I believe, from the Campling drawing is therefore 4'6" and I suspect the Isinglass kit is also. But pretty well all the photographs (e.g. Harris, Larkin, Cheona and even the one in Campling) seem to be 6'0". Is it possible they were originally short but were (?all) replaced by long later? (I think the preserved one is also 6'0".)

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Were the springs 4'6" or 6'0"?

The John Edgeson (Isinglass) drawing (normally infallible) and the Campling drawing in "Historic Carriage Drawings" vol 3 both say 4'6" whereas the D&S kit and the drawing with it are 6'0". The Chivers kit is, I believe, from the Campling drawing is therefore 4'6" and I suspect the Isinglass kit is also. But pretty well all the photographs (e.g. Harris, Larkin, Cheona and even the one in Campling) seem to be 6'0". Is it possible they were originally short but were (?all) replaced by long later? (I think the preserved one is also 6'0".)

Alan

Could it be that York & Stratford used different springs? There is a note on the Isinglass Drawings about springs in front/springs behind depending upon York or Stratford build;(the W iron I presume?)

Coachman will know or Bill Bedford.

If you 'search' D120 on this Forum there are loads of references (especially last year).

I don't know the answer and I've just part built the Isinglass one!!!!!:O

ATB

36E

Hi Mallard,

I think I have managed to look at all the D120 posts without finding an answer.

All the photos I have seen are Stratford build eg in Harris "Standard Gresley Carriages" p.185 we have an early picture of 6820 with short springs and in Campling p.22 a late picture of 70212 with long - both Stratford. I'm not sure about John Edgeson's comments about 3-vents/springs-in-front being York; Danny Pinnock (D&S) says the these vans were the D170/176 old underframe diagrams.

I shall draw Larry and Bill's attention to this discussion.

Alan

In the book Historic Carriage Drawings Vol 3 page 22

It say some were built new but some were built in 1932 on old ex-GNR 4 wheel coach underframes of simmilar length

new builds were dia 120 but the rebuilds were dia 170/176/177

Yes, I've just more or less said that!

Alan

• 11 years later...

Came across this when searching for threads concerning this type of Van.

According to the Stratford-produced GA drawing No. 25810E, the springs are dimensioned at 4' 6". For the Diagram 86 General and Diagram 87 Milk Vans, for which the underframe was originally developed,  the springs comprised 10 plates 4" wide by 1/2" thick.

Better late than never... :good: