Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

16vac to 12vdc

Chris Gilbert

Maplin kit http://www.maplin.co.uk/k18231a-power-supply-3488

I could recommend a much cheaper kit solution, but that would be too controversial.

You could make one yourself if you are happy identifying and soldering a few components together. Bridge rectifier, smoothing capacitor and 7812 voltage regulator on a heatsink.

Andrew Crosland

• RMweb Premium

A simple bridge rectifier will work fine woith toroises as mentioned above. They generally put out about 15VDC which comes down to about 13V when you've got about 10 Tortoises operating. I used that system for many years on my last layout wiothout any problem . I was working with analogue but as long as the DCC board can handle the slight over voltage you shouldn't have any problem. I don't know the RS part number of the bridge rectifier off hand but get one that has about double the capacity that you need. Eg 16V at 3 amp. I always felt happer using a 100VA rectifier. I once had a slightly overloaded one cook itself in the middle of an exhibition and it took its associated trasnformer out with it so now always go for the larger rectifier.

Jamie

Jamie

A simple bridge rectifier will work fine woith toroises as mentioned above. They generally put out about 15VDC which comes down to about 13V when you've got about 10 Tortoises operating.

a 16v AC input will give over 20V peak. If the tortiose is happy with that, then fine...

Andrew Crosland

<Snip>

Is there anything out there that will convert a 16vac supply to 12vdc to power my Tortoiseslow motion motors?

thanks

Chris

Hi

As stated a Bridge Rectifier will do the basic job - 16 volts ac in approx 14.5volts out. Like this example and sold by all good electronic suppliers such as Maplin, Rapid etc Typical Bridge rectifier

If you wish to run the Tortoise motors slower then use a variable voltage regulator wired after the Bridge Rectifiers output. You can buy these ready made or they are quite simple to make if you can solder components onto a circuit board. You can adjust the output volts of the regulator from around 2 volts up to around 12 volts dc with a 14ish volt dc input.

Why bother with the hassle of conversion?

Use a WallWart 9v plug. (like the ones supplied with just about every electrical appliance - I have used one from an old PC peripheral) You can also buy them in Maplins.

But why bother with a DC supply at all? Read the instruction leaflet and use wiring option #3 - Much the preferred option anyway

It uses 16V AC with 2 cheap "steering" diodes.

But the most important thing about the wiring option is that it requires only one lead per motor from the CP (the other supply to he motor comes from a point motor common return) Yes that's one wire for both directions of the motor!

I needed 12vDC to run an array of LEDs, and the simplest solution was to use a 12vDC 1.25amp wallwart PSU from an old printer or electric piano or something. I keep a selection of these rescued and hoarded in my bits box, of various voltages etc. and both DC+AC . Would the panel think one of these would be suitable, as there are lots of them kicking about nowadays? Then you'd only have one bit of kit to worry about instead of two.

*oops, I seem to have cross-posted with Kenton*

I recommend a fab bit of kit from All Components

http://www.allcomponents.co.uk/

if you look at the electronic boards section there is a converter board (CONV) for the princely sum of just £9.25 which is a straight plug-and-play unit.

I have a couple of these, one of which lives under my show layout to power the buffer stop LED's and they perform faultlessly.

I recommend a fab bit of kit from All Components

But the OP asked about powering Tortoise Point Motors not LEDs, I'm not sure that could cope.

Anyway all this expense is completely unnecessary.

2 diodes is all that is need and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturers of the Tortoise.

Why are we trying to make life so complicated? I'm amazed no one hasn't suggested converting the layout to DCC and using a decoder :(

Archived