Hornby 121 & Replica chassis

steveb860

At the recent Stafford show I was able to purchase a Hornby class 121 bubble car Chilton Railways bodyshell, and a Replica Railways Die cast chassis with 12mm wheels, with the aim of combining the two,as i was not impressed with the performance of a friends Hornby version, particularly undr DCC.

I have also obtained a Hornby Class 121 chassis, part X9638 and two bogie frames, X9636 from East Kent models, for the underframe. As they don't stock the interior parts, I am going to pay a visit to Replica Railways shop tomorrow,to see what they have that is suitable for use.I am thinking maybe the forthcoming MLV cab interiors.

The body shell will hopefully have new roof vents fitted, and the bodyshell backdated to late 70's blue. Dcc lighting will also be fitted.

Progress may be a little slow, as house renovation takes priority.

Any suggestions for individual underframe components appreciated.

Steve

Ok. first up is a pic of the parts gathered so far....

post-512-0-98195000-1297435116_thumb.jpg

Test fit of body shell on chassis. The two attachment points within the body shell have been removed. The chassis incorperates a foot step all the way along the chassis, to be trimmed to suit the bodyshell

post-512-0-95466900-1297435407_thumb.jpg

Bogie side frames next. Top picture shows butchered Hornby side frame prepared for fitting, next to unaltered frame.

Second photo shows the Replica side frames with middle frame modified ready for the Hornby frames to be fixed over the top with superglue. The replica frames simply pull off.

Third photo shows frames tacked in place.Alignment required to ensure axle box covers line up with centre of wheel sets.

post-512-0-90855100-1297436155_thumb.jpg

post-512-0-99681600-1297436271_thumb.jpg

post-512-0-93327400-1297436314_thumb.jpg

You might want to get some spare Hornby bogie sideframes off the 110, they should look a bit better than those things which seem a bit poor in relief.

Absolutely,I'd second that,IIRC the Lima derived Cl.121/101 bogie frames are slightly underscale in the wheelbase,ie 33mm when they should be 34mm. EKM have the Cl.110 bogie frames [and they're cheaper too].

Interesting project all the same. :)

Thanks for the suggestion on the bogie frames guys. Bit too late for me,as they are now paid for, butchered & fitted, but something worth considering if I upgrade in the future. Gives another option for those about to embark on a similar project.

To be honest, they dont look too bad in the flesh, close up photo's are so cruel. A bit of careful weathering and dry brushing to pop out detail should go some way to improving matters.

Stuck at work tonight,so might get some work done on underframe.

Also had a very kind offer of some interior parts from a cl.117, so thanks for that Jack.

Archived