Early class 50 chassis woes

Has anyone had issues with early (first batch) class 50 chassis wiring. I have one repainted and awaiting a sound chip that seems OK on DC but freaks out when you put a decoder in it? Were any incorrectly wired? The decoder ('3') is unresponsive. When asked to read back it gives error 2 (no decoder present) Driving me nuts as this is 2nd sound chip. Never seen anything like it in 150 sound fitted engines various done for me and others. Something in the back of my mind was ringing alarm bells over the earliest release 50s. 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobe you are my only hope'

The original Hornby board was wired to opposite polarity and plugging in a decoder puts a dead short on the auxiliary output (blue wire) you will be lucky not to blow the rectifier in the decoder.

As indicated you can get a replacement board but equally you can just discard the board and hard wire the decoder. The circuits on the board are redundant when using DCC. (In fact, with the relative quantities made I would be fairly confident that that board was more expensive than a factory fitted decoder would have been, even without all the costs incurred by getting it wrong at the first attempt).

Regards

Keith

From memory it was just the first batch of the initial 3 liveries, Ark Royal, Resolution, and Achilles. These can be indentidied by the fact they had sleeves with prototype notes on and no 'DCC Ready' blue logo.

A second batch of Ark Royals were released a few months later and these had corrected circuit boards. These Ark Royals have the 'DCC Ready' logo on the sleeves and, I think, white handrails on the cab fronts.

Edward Elgar and all subsequent 50s have the later cicuit boards. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ashley

From memory it was just the first batch of the initial 3 liveries, Ark Royal, Resolution, and Achilles. These can be indentidied by the fact they had sleeves with prototype notes on and no 'DCC Ready' blue logo.

A second batch of Ark Royals were released a few months later and these had corrected circuit boards. These Ark Royals have the 'DCC Ready' logo on the sleeves and, I think, white handrails on the cab fronts.

Edward Elgar and all subsequent 50s have the later cicuit boards. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ashley

Thanks Ashley :)

I don`t have to worry about mine then B)

Has anyone had issues with early (first batch) class 50 chassis wiring. I have one repainted and awaiting a sound chip that seems OK on DC but freaks out when you put a decoder in it? Were any incorrectly wired? The decoder ('3') is unresponsive. When asked to read back it gives error 2 (no decoder present) Driving me nuts as this is 2nd sound chip. Never seen anything like it in 150 sound fitted engines various done for me and others. Something in the back of my mind was ringing alarm bells over the earliest release 50s. 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobe you are my only hope'

I could be wrong about this and stand to be corrected but Im sure iv read somewhere that if you turn the chip round and plug it in the wrong way this sorts the problem.

Hope this imfo might help

Stu

is it the reason that my achillies, and ark royal have to have Bachmann chips fitted backwards, ie, pin one not in the pin 1 slot, and they seem to run ok, put the chip in the 'correct' way and the dynamis says short? i also have a repainted D400 which i think, from looking inside the body is a later 50, it was network southeast but the inside louvers are light NSE blue and not dark. and this has the same 'problem'???

• RMweb Premium

Thought the trick with the very early PCBs on Hornby 50's as the socket has incorrectly identified. If the decoder is plugged in the other way around, all is well?

Disclaimer if you do this and the decoder is blown, then its at your own risk!

Thinking on, if you have 50 015 with DCC sound, can the board from 50 036 be retrofitted to fix the marker lighting problem? This is assuming Hornby can supply the said board as a spare part.

[/i]

Thinking on, if you have 50 015 with DCC sound, can the board from 50 036 be retrofitted to fix the marker lighting problem? This is assuming Hornby can supply the said board as a spare part.

You need to be careful, the sound cl50's have positive feed LED's fitted, as do other Hornby sound diesels, so just swapping things over isn't that easy. Other's on the forum have found this out when swapping the cl60 bodies over and assumed the lights would work. Tony.

Thought the trick with the very early PCBs on Hornby 50's as the socket has incorrectly identified. If the decoder is plugged in the other way around, all is well?

No, it was more fundamental than that, decoders rectify the input and put out the positive on the blue wire. Hornby's board rectified the input and put the negative to the socket where the blue wire fits, plug a decoder in correctly and 'poof'So its not just incorrectly identified its incorrectly designed. When you plug a decoder in the wrong way round the blue wire ends up in a mirror image socket that is normally spare, and is on the Hornby board. So in this situation the blue positive does not connect to the socket negative and the decoder will survive. In a standard installation the absense of the positive will stop the lights working, in the Hornby case the light inputs just switch transistors to turn on the lights from the board power and as the board power and decoder power are linked at the track input this switching may still work without the blue wire.

If you want to be sure not to blow the decoder disconnect the blue wire from the plug and insulate the bare end (which is permanently live) before plugging the decoder in.

Regards

Keith

You need to be careful, the sound cl50's have positive feed LED's fitted, as do other Hornby sound diesels, so just swapping things over isn't that easy. Other's on the forum have found this out when swapping the cl60 bodies over and assumed the lights would work. Tony.

If you swop the cabs over too on a 60,that sorts the light problem out.

• 1 year later...

One of the white LEDs on the Hornby sound class 50 burned out (2901XS), I purchased the X9252 LED pcb to replace the faulty one but this does not

work because of the positive LED feeds fitted on these locomotives. Hornby does not seem to have a different part number for the non sound and sound

fitted locomotives regarding the LEDs, the only part number listed is X9252 . I have been corresponding with Hornby for the past 2 months regarding this matter but they do no seem to be aware about this specific issue . Please advise, help required.

Regards,

Henry

Archived