Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

South City Switcher

Jon Gwinnett

True - the scrap yard could add gons, and a Distribution Co, for example, could receive box cars.

Have you any idea what the real grade from Quint Street up to the main is - I read 2.5% but the photos look much steeper, even allowing for foreshortening.

2.5% IS steep.

I don't have room to put the ramp at 2.5% but have managed to ease it from 4% to 3% - and have bought a set of Woodland Scenics foam risers to maintain a consistent gradient.

I've tightened up the pointwork i plan to use at the Carrol Ave. section (yes, I've decided to keep it) and also reversed what was to be a cement siding at the foot of the ramp. There's now a siding heading in the opposite direction from a point near the foot of the ramp - this is closer to the real situation:

http://macborja.smugmug.com/Trains/South-City-Switcher/2793190_pEyTx/5#270150980_kYQmh

Unfortunately I'm having to foreshorten things so that the curves start immediately at the foot of the gradient, but I think it'll be worthwhile. The extra siding will take either cement hoppers or scrap gons (or both) in my slight use of modelers licence.

I plan to have a building flat just in front of that end wall- Probably something like this:

http://macborja.smugmug.com/Trains/South-City-Switcher/2793190_pEyTx/5#475084718_Zj2Lo

If there's room, I may make the siding a loop (I think that is a siding in US parlance?)

A nice package from Model Junction today - with the first two items for the dirty dirt train - two Tangent quad hoppers. Really delicate and finely detailed.

They're sitting on the other delivery - Atlas code 83 24inch radius curves. I find flex track at such a sharp radius a bit trying, and I can rest easy that these won't accidentally end up tighter - I have decided on 24" as the ruling radius, even though it will be a bit tight. I'm hoping that only the Carrol Ave lead and the spur at the foot of the Quint Street ramp will have to be this tight, everything else can be an inch or two bigger.

post-7346-0-89640600-1298318658_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

No updates for a while, and progress has stalled. However, the concept still has great merit, and I think I will return to it. At the moment, I'm distracted by the Bachmann EPB -my southern childhood, and also by a Haston based minimum space effort - not sure yet whether this will also follow the UP in Cali theme, or something more eastern. Oh, and I promised Martyn a module or two to be delivered at Barrow!

Archived