Thinners...

Hello,

I'm in the process of painting a few Parkside Clams and Rudds, and I have attempted airbrushing the yellow stripe on one of the wagons, but the paint is very thin, an opaque yellow that allows some of the primer to show through, now this suggests that I've used too much thinner.

Now my question is, how much should I use, is it as easy 2 parts paint to 1 part thinners, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

Hi,

The colour yellow is can be difficult to get right - especially if it's opaque to start with! Sometimes sparying white prior to the yellow does the trick or try another brand of paint which might have more depth. Try building up the colour gradually with several light coats. As far as consistency is concerned each to his own - for myself 50/50 works for me - should finish up looking much like 'Milk' does?

Bill.

I tend to use not too much thinners, as some paint is much thinner than others. I have a feeling that when I asked at the Precision stand that the advice was to use as little as 20% first and thin further if needed. I will ask again at the weekend at the Watford Finescale show as Phoenix Precision will be there

I use the Premi Air G35 air brush with a 3cc colour cup, if I just about half fill the cup with paint I then add 4 drops of White Spirit with a dropper and mix, the paint always comes out great and gives a even coat on the work piece.

I never use thinners I always use white spirit, at 85 pence for a large bottle from Asda and it lasts for ages.

Michael

Archived