Taking out a subscription from Australia

dajt

Hi,

None of my local newsagents have had a delivery of MRJ since issue 198 and they don't seem to know why not. This being a regional town I'm guessing the market isn't that big so I don't suppose it is near the top of their list of problems.

I've been paying $12.50 AU per issue which seems about in line with the cover price, but the magazine always seemed to arrive at random intervals, before it stopped arriving at all.

How do Australian subscribers find the service? Is delivery reliable? I know the mag's schedule is pretty loose, but do you at least get each issue? What are the payment options? I don't have a chequebook, and I'm guessing Wild Swan don't accept credit cards. Do we get charged a lot for home delivery or is the subscription price reasonably in-line with the cover price I've shown above?

Thanks for any advice,

David Taylor.

David,

I have a standing order for MRJ and GWRJ with Nigel Bird and would highly recommend him. Send him an email and I am sure he would be happy to oblige. The magazines are sent as soon as he receives them, so you can still plce a topical comment on the threads on here if you want to complain about something!

regards,

Craig Warton

(In Sydney)

David Taylor wrote:-

"I've been paying $12.50 AU per issue which seems about in line with the cover price, but the magazine always seemed to arrive at random intervals, before it stopped arriving at all.

How do Australian subscribers find the service? Is delivery reliable? I know the mag's schedule is pretty loose, but do you at least get each issue? What are the payment options? I don't have a chequebook, and I'm guessing Wild Swan don't accept credit cards. Do we get charged a lot for home delivery or is the subscription price reasonably in-line with the cover price I've shown above?"

Likewise in Brisbane, nothing since #198. Supply highly sporadic. The GWR journal has recently arrived however so it doesn't follow that we are being punished by PK........

David Taylor wrote:-

"I've been paying $12.50 AU per issue which seems about in line with the cover price, but the magazine always seemed to arrive at random intervals, before it stopped arriving at all.

How do Australian subscribers find the service? Is delivery reliable? I know the mag's schedule is pretty loose, but do you at least get each issue? What are the payment options? I don't have a chequebook, and I'm guessing Wild Swan don't accept credit cards. Do we get charged a lot for home delivery or is the subscription price reasonably in-line with the cover price I've shown above?"

Likewise in Brisbane, nothing since #198. Supply highly sporadic. The GWR journal has recently arrived however so it doesn't follow that we are being punished by PK........

I investigated the direct subscription service once some years back, and the only way to do it was by telephone, as Wild Swan seem to be stuck in the steam age. The cost was horrifying. That's when I decide to order from Train World, and I have not missed a copy since. Branchline in Croydon Victoria may also mail it you you as well, ring them and ask (03) 9723 1211.

I investigated the direct subscription service once some years back, and the only way to do it was by telephone, as Wild Swan seem to be stuck in the steam age. The cost was horrifying. That's when I decide to order from Train World, and I have not missed a copy since. Branchline in Croydon Victoria may also mail it you you as well, ring them and ask (03) 9723 1211.

You are not allowed to mock the analogue isolation of Didcot on this forum..............

The cost (last time I asked) was far and above the over the counter price, so high that a private executive jet must have been on the runway at Benson air base, or possibly a Vickers Vimy?

By chance I fluked a recent MRJ #204 in a regional shopping mall today at A$12.50, my first for many months.

• 2 months later...

I obtain my MRJ through Nigel Bird. Last issue set a snail mail record and arrived in just over 2 days from Wales to Walnut Creek California. I don't expect that to happen every time.

David,

I have a standing order for MRJ and GWRJ with Nigel Bird and would highly recommend him. Send him an email and I am sure he would be happy to oblige. The magazines are sent as soon as he receives them, so you can still plce a topical comment on the threads on here if you want to complain about something!

regards,

Craig Warton

(In Sydney)

Nigel is a fairly near neighbour of mine (and a fellow club-member) and has also supplied me with far too many books and magazines for the budget to bear! His on-line listing is a real treasury!

Very strongly recommended - a great chap, too!

Archived