DCC Loco Lights Won't Change

PNEYorkshire

When testing my DCC Hornby Class 31 using an NCE Power Cab i've noticed that I dont seem to have any control over the lights. They are permanently on regardless of whether the light function on the cab is on or off. I can't change the direction of them either. Whichever direction the loco is moving the white lights stay on at one end and the red at the other without swapping as the direction changes.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I don't remember it being like this the last time it was tested...could it be a problem with the power cab, maybe ive activated a function i shouldnt have.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi

To reset the R8249 use CV8 and enter value of 8. This will reset the decoder back to its factory CV setting, including address number becoming 3.

Once reset try it on address 3 and see if the lights then work correctly. If they do, then set its address etc to whatever you wish.

If you can read back CV values you might find all sorts of odd values in the CV chart. It will almost certainly be the decoder. Most cheap decoders are a bit fragile in terms of retaining CV values and this isn't exclusive to Hornby either.

You might do well to test the lights on DC with a blanking plug in and then take it out. It is possible that the lights are not hooked into the decoder socket. I say this because you are a touch unsure whether this is a problem that has developed recently or was always like it and unnoticed at the time.

Replacing the decoder will always be a good idea for other reasons, it might not solve the lights issue. This is particularly relevant if these lights are bulbs rather than LED's and they are not connected to a circuit board before the decoder socket.

Is this 31 a DCC ready one i.e recent?

I've noticed that when i take the bodyshell off, it works like it should do! To put it back on you have to take the cab interiors where the lights are housed and put them into the bodyshell first. When the bodyshell is back on the problem returns. It seems like it cant work properly with the bodyshell on..

Archived