Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Keeping the hobby alive for the next generation

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I believe it is starting to be come more 'cool'...or at least less 'uncool'. That is helped in no small measure by the likes of James May's programs on toys; as well as Rod Stewart and other 'celebrity modellers'.

My nephew is going to be seven this year, and this Christmas he will be getting his first train set. I have been asked to help choose it, and I am very seriously considering inflicting LNER on the poor kid! It will be interesting to see if he pursues the hobby; however his total lack of interest in computor games bodes well for the future...:)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any of these computer games available these days where you can drive a train. Leaving aside the likes of Microsoft Train Simulator and Railworks, which are essentially simulators, Aurans "Trainz" is currently available in its nth reincarnation, and has a number of quite easy to use tools allowing to plan entire virtual worlds and then drive them without a huge amount of expenditure. The fact that this is still around after about 10 years is a good sign, and must surely show that some form of railway modelling is popular and, as the users get older, hopefully some of them will move away from the computer (I believe some refer to it as V scale) and turn to the real thing.

Simply typing trains or trainz into amazon gets a wealth of results which would indicate that the genre is obviously popular enough for multiple developers to produce software.

I wonder if this really is the way forward for the computer games generation?

I saw a lovely example of a child being entertained at an exhibition today. Dad was talking next to his mate at a layout, said layout being in his mate's charge, and had brought with him the loco and tender frames for a pre-group engine, beautifully constructed and fully sprung. Little boy (getting rather bored) borrows these items from his dad's hands, plonks them on a convenient empty siding on the layout in front of him, and 'tested' them by pushing them up and down to his heart's content while his elders discussed deep and meaningful modelling issues.

It was a joy to see a child enjoying himself, and getting involved in his own way, and almost as nice to see his parent and friend let him get on with it, evidently both happy that their workmanship was robust enough to stand the strain.

Im 22 and love to see youngsters involved with the hobby and encourage younger people and older to join the hobby because its a fantasic hobby and we touch on more or less all skills. But as i said before alot of youngsters are put off because of peer pressure because you have to look cool.

I went into the games work shop today for paints and never being in there before was amazed with the amount of youngsters working on their projects and playing the games, the staff were brilliant help with me and with the people working and was nice to see. Whilst watching a young guy painting his figures got talking and he was so enthusiastic about his hobby. When in warley this year enjoyed seeing the youngsters pulling their parents aroung the exhibition with excitment.

i think why people don't take it up though is the possible stigma associated with it. It's not seen as 'cool' these days (although i still feel deep down everyone is impressed with a good model train).

as a 19 year old i know where your coming from i dont exactly shout about my hobby, but the freinds around my age who i have show my layout to are always impressed so there is hope :)

david

Certain expos have got the ticket system right. Either thay have "family" tickets or Leeds says that each adult can bring in X number of juniors.

I agree with many that allow kids to have a drive and also the cascading of models that have been replaced by modern replacements as per the OP.

When I was at school I think that we were the last members of the railway club and used to meet and play with the layout My LIMA repaint of the blue 55005 into TTG got it's first airing in green undercoat. Most of the friends there were also the ones that we had days out spotting with or bashing as many locos for haulage as possible in a day.

I have a few Triang/Hornby era BR MkI and possibly a couple of MkII's that are free to a good home. If you know a junior then PM me and collect from the Middleton Railway model expo 2nd or 3rd July 2011. These have been replaced by Bachmann's.

as a 19 year old i know where your coming from i dont exactly shout about my hobby, but the freinds around my age who i have show my layout to are always impressed so there is hope :)

david

Im the same i dont shout about my hobby few of my friends know what im into and they say nothing about it. Im 22 and where i live in swansea dont no anyone my age who is into railway modelling, would be nice to know cos sometimes i drive to exhibitions or go by train and would be nice to have someone around my age to go with. The people who i do no who are into railway modelling are alot older than me and dont really go to exhibitions so then you are limited sometimes.

Archived