Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Keeping the hobby alive for the next generation

With the new Bachmann 03 being so much better than the veteran ex-Mainline version, I have finally retired my fleet. It seems that I should have sold the Mainline versions as soon as Bachmann announced the retooled 03. Now you can't sell the things at any low price. So the working ones have been serviced and donated to my four year old nephew's toy train set. He rather likes them, and it's good that they can be appreciated still. Their ancient motors and drive trains seem to like his driving style too - warp speed or nothing suits them just fine!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jenny

I was clinging on to my Lima BRCW locos for years and with the release of Heljan replacements I donated them to my friends son in Leeds who is red hot keen on model railways.

When I was a kid everyone had a model railway, but my relatives in my sons generation (who is 17) were not remotely interested. Computer games have a lot to blame for youngsters not coming into the hobby.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

I can remember my first few exhibition visits back in the mid-'60s - there were any number of lads of around my age (12+) to be seen. Nowadays they are few and far between - there seems to be a noticeable gap between the pre/primary school-age youngsters (often as not being shepherded round by Dad or even Grandad) and those in their twenties and older!

My own son professed an interest in railways, he came with me to several shows and helped me with my first exhibition layout but the modelling interest soon evaporated when he went up to secondary school - a shame because he was a very capable modeller, albeit mainly of military subjects. I built him a small layout one Christmas but it saw little use and tracklifting occurred in the following autumn.

I tend to agree with Neil - the instant gratification of computer games seems to be a more powerful attraction these days.

Guest Max Stafford

To give some comments a little perspective; I imagine interest in the hobby horse waned somewhat when train sets became popular. Back in 1965, railways were much more in the public conciousness than now since most urban neighbourhoods backed on to industry which would have largely been fed by rail so young lads (and some girls no doubt) would have seen trains passing their places of play and school. Nowadays all those factories and yards are gone so the opportunity to see trains as an everyday sight is greatly reduced. That's not to say they won't develop an interest - trains weren't massively in my conciousness as an infant although I was taken by train to Arbroath as a two-year old in July 1966, apparently behind steam ( wonder what was on the front?) I was definitely taken on blue trains in the late '60s and I may even have travelled on a green DMU to East Kilbride in 1968. I lived a good way from a railway after the age of seven but I still found them mildly interesting though I never saw any.

Flash forward to June 1977 and just-teenage Max stays for a week in a caravan next to the ECML in Northumberland and gets blown away by Deltics.

Never been the same since!

This summer, a lad in his early teens will probably stand near that same spot and be blown away by 66s and 91s!

In 1967 pundits were predicting the death of railway modelling in the face of slot cars, but we're still here in rude health.

As long as trains exist, somebody will be interested.

After all, people are still interested in Roman squaddies and sailing ships and you don't see that many of those around.

Well, Hadrian's wall runs not far from here and there was that dark night on the way back from the pub...! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't put the lack of interest in model railways, or even toy trains, entirely down to computer games. For kids who do like to make things, Lego appears to be a major player these days. My lad lost interest in his layout but is mad for Lego. His keenness to acquire new releases would outdo many Hornby collectors; however it's limited by the size of my wallet, which is currently shrinking. However once something's been built as intended it becomes part of the pool of parts. They do trains, which although hardly 'realistic' can be endlessly modified. It satisfies the need not just to make, but to fiddle and change things, in a less fiddly, more user-friendly way than Meccano. We've got that too, he's inherited mine and FIL's, but he hardly uses it and sometimes needs help.

He does enjoy trains at the moment. My Father and I decided from an early age that he ought to gain maximum exposure to a model railway to ensure interest in our hobby! Zak is only 4 but has amassed a strange motley collection that includes a battered Hornby Dublo City of London, a battered Hornby Dublo standard tank as well as some old Hornby locos circa 1980 that were donated from my Father-in-law's loft. Out of necessity his layout consists of separate 2 rail and 3 rail tracks.

He will shortly be receiving a Hornby class 06 in BR blue to join his BR green one, and possibly a Hornby 4F that remained unsold from a recent stock clearout. I like to ration the stuff out to him so that he gets something new every month or so rather than everything all at once. At age 4 though he is still a little heavy-handed, and there was a brief scare earlier this week when his rummaging illicitly in a cupboard in my Father's railway room found where all the valuable Hornby Dublo was hidden. Tip for adrenalin junkies: nothing makes the heart pump more than seeing a 4 year old clumsily trying to put several hundred pounds of rare locomotive on the track, after having removed it from its original box. Said box was in the bin because he thinks that packaging is something you throw away*. Eeek! The 'Dorchester' and her box were reunited none the worse for wear, thankfully and were hidden a little better this time!

*A real James May in the making.

That reminds me of my early childhood. When my father was away (at sea) the boxes of Triang were kept on top of the wardrobe, supposedly out of the reach of a three or four year old. The step ladder however wasn't out of reach and early one morning all the boxes 'fell ' on the floor accompanied by one small boy. No lasting damage fortunately.

My three year old grandson has a wooden toy train set, passed down to him by his elder brother. Now he wants something which will move without it being pushed, so a simple (and durable!) electric train set might be his next step.

Last summer he caught his first sights of real steam locomotives, and it doesn't get much more real than A4 Sir Nigel Gresley. He stood there in absolute awe of this living, breathing machine. Is this the start of a lifelong interest in railways and model railways? Who knows. But without that first toy train and his first (and there have been many trips on the NYMR since, for him) sight of a steam locomotive, he would never have known!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

With the new Bachmann 03 being so much better than the veteran ex-Mainline version, I have finally retired my fleet. It seems that I should have sold the Mainline versions as soon as Bachmann announced the retooled 03. Now you can't sell the things at any low price. So the working ones have been serviced and donated to my four year old nephew's toy train set. He rather likes them, and it's good that they can be appreciated still. Their ancient motors and drive trains seem to like his driving style too - warp speed or nothing suits them just fine!

Well that's Digital control for you - "On" or "Off" ;)

I am wondering what I'll be able to do with my 7 month old son in a few years. The prices of current Hornby Thomas range seem eye-watering (an wallet-clenching) to say the least, I fell a few trawls around swapmeets & a few tins of paint may be required!

Having sold an old Lima 31 a few years ago, I'm now thinking of a change of plan which would need 1 or 2 31s - and some discussions over the better body shape of the Lima vs "new" Hornby make me wish I'd kept it....

Well that's Digital control for you - "On" or "Off" ;)

I am wondering what I'll be able to do with my 7 month old son in a few years. The prices of current Hornby Thomas range seem eye-watering (an wallet-clenching) to say the least, I fell a few trawls around swapmeets & a few tins of paint may be required!

Hi - have a look at the Bachmann Thomas range - I use them for my boys - much cheaper and have goooogly eyes as well. I got mine from Trains on Time

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Hi - have a look at the Bachmann Thomas range - I use them for my boys - much cheaper and have goooogly eyes as well. I got mine from Trains on Time

Chris

Snap! my 8 year old asked for Henry for Christmas out of the blue - he's normally more into Dragons/dinosaurs/Dr who etc

Trains on Time delivered a Bachmann Henry pdq for less than 50 quid. Only complaint - "the wheels don't go round when I push it along" :lol: To be fair, the ancient Gordon and James that I got off ebay when he was but a rugrat is tender drive ....

• RMweb Premium

"redgate" & chrisr40" - thanks for the Trains on Time tip, didn't realise there was a British supply of the Bachmann kit. I was under the impression they were only available in USA due to Hornby having the license over here....

Bachmann cannot supply their Thomas range to any UK based company or indavidual as this would be contrary to the licences they hold. However there is nothing to stop a retailer in the USA selling a proportion of Thomas stock to a British company or indavidual who then in turn sells it on to UK customers through their UK based shop. The only downside of this is if there is a problem with the model Bachmann UK cannot provide any support whatsoever as their Thomas products are not offically sold in the UK.

I wouldn't put the lack of interest in model railways, or even toy trains, entirely down to computer games. For kids who do like to make things, Lego appears to be a major player these days. My lad lost interest in his layout but is mad for Lego. His keenness to acquire new releases would outdo many Hornby collectors; however it's limited by the size of my wallet, which is currently shrinking. However once something's been built as intended it becomes part of the pool of parts. They do trains, which although hardly 'realistic' can be endlessly modified. It satisfies the need not just to make, but to fiddle and change things, in a less fiddly, more user-friendly way than Meccano. We've got that too, he's inherited mine and FIL's, but he hardly uses it and sometimes needs help.

Lego trains don't have to be any less realistic than train set ones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scruffulous/4188374200/in/set-72157622882654503/ for example

Might be less realistic than finescale P4 tho...

I was lucky enough to recieve a small collection of Hornby train sets a couple of years ago, from someone who was giving up the hobby.

They had never been used and still had the little bits of black wire holding the tracks together. As his interest had been modern image, it was all Virgin and EWS stuff, which I couldn't use in my TMD.

I gave a Class47 Mail Train set (with working mail car, whoop) to my nephews son and a Flying Scotsman set to a friends son. Sadly, neither persued the hobby any further beyond an oval on the carpet and furry motors. Both lads are about 10 years old and all they want to do is play World of Warcraft online or PS3.

I'd have had kittens if I'd have got something like that, in the middle of the year, for no reason. I cried when I got a Hornby IC125 set and a Lima Deltic freightliner set for christmas one year, I was so overwhelmed. (I was also 10).

I think a lot of the practical hobbies, like Airfix, trains and meccano are slowly dying out because entertainment is made for you now. You dont need an imagination anymore. I had a full size replica of the Millenium Falcon cockpit in my bedroom when I was little. It was just carboard boxes with buttons drawn on them in shaky marker pen, two dining chairs side by side and a clock radio as my main readout. It looked like a storeroom, but in my mind it was the Milleniun Falcon and I was Han Solo blasting my way around the galaxy. (I'm still Han Solo and you can't take that away from me). A different adventure every day. Sometimes, if I was lucky, the cat would sit on the other chair. Nice Chewie, good cat.

All of the fun I had was self made. Today, everything is imagined for you in computer games. You don't need to think of it yourself anymore, it's given to you on a silver platter. (CD) I'm not however against computer games at all, I have been and will remain an avid gamer. I do think they have an effect on a young, still forming mind though.

I personanly think that affects the ability to have an imagination. The brain is a muscle, if you don't exercise it, it gets lazy.

The other thing that goes against the creative hobbies is there isn't an instant hit. They take time, patience and skill. How long does it really take to build a layout? A lot longer than it takes to turn on the PS3 and frag some people you've never met on Call of Duty. Instant gratification, instant hit.

I've wondered in the past, if we are born to like railways, i.e. something in our genetic makeup that makes us predisposed. Or does it come from exposure, if it's the latter, then we really are doomed. None of the small children I know have ever been on a train, never even been to a railways station. How many rail fans will there be that never realise they could be rail fans.

I guess we'll never know.

Dan

At work we have a medium sized meeting room, a couple of model railway mad adults, and a couple of parents who's kids ( aged 11/12 ) are also mad on model trains.

Once a month after work we loose lay track on the floor, and give things a run round. The grown up's enjoy it, but importantly, the kids do too. We've just had our third meet, and are planning the next. Maybe we won't hold them in the summer, so stop after April, and recommence in September/October.

A couple more kids ( think they're around 8 ) will be coming to the next session, I write a little newsletter, and distribute this to the people involved. Last night we had analogue and dcc available, and ran trains from a 1963 Triang caledonian 4-2-2 right up to a DCC Pendelino. I did a couple of running repairs, and one of the kids is bringing in another loco for attention.

It's a nice way to keep kids interested, and I would commend this approach to the house.

So, you chaps with a meeting room, classroom floor, or some alternate area with suitable tables that can be pushed together to construct a temporary layout, thinking caps on.

Malcolm

I've only recently rekindled my interest in the hobby but I'm loving it.

Finding things out and planning the layout. Then painting buildings and weathering.

I just find it really relaxing and enjoyable.

And i haven't even got the baseboard yet.

I think why people don't take it up though is the possible stigma associated with it. It's not seen as 'cool' these days (although i still feel deep down everyone is impressed with a good model train).

Not sure why that is though.

Guest Max Stafford

I suppose the attraction isn't entirely visual. My first encounter with St Paddy on that fateful holiday began with a distant drone which made me look up, thinking I was about to be treated to the sight of a restored WW2 bomber or the likes. Seconds later, this massive blue and yellow monster burst out of a cutting and the old jockey chopped the throttle just as it passed me - that descending throb will stay with me forever! Similarly, I remember the clanging and banging of buffers as trains of 12t vans and the like slowed over the Royal Border Bridge ready to get put inside at Berwick. Countless times did I enjoy the clatter of wee Sulzers at Queen Street. The list goes on - the strange pinging, ringing noise the 303s and 311s made as they rushed over pointwork at speed. And then there's all those Peter Handford steam recordings! The more I think of it, the sound as much as the sight drew me to the railway and I'm sure it is still thus for many. The railway is still a place of interesting sounds if the visual wealth is now somewhat depleted.

I'm sure that's another reason some youngsters get interested. Maybe urban musicians need to get some more train noises into their sample catalogues because the sounds of these machines was a big deal to youthful me and maybe all those EMUs and their associated noises are a backdrop to the lives of many urban youngsters still who may one day be nostalgic for a part of their own earlier lives! :D

Dave.

I think why people don't take it up though is the possible stigma associated with it. It's not seen as 'cool' these days

I think times are changing slowly. Ten years ago it really was seen as uncool but non-modellers seem more interested these days.

We might not be classified on the same level of cool as celebrity / reality TV-loving metrosexuals but I know what I would rather be interested in!;)

Anyway, back to the OP, I have a Bachmann Deltic which I have thought about flogging but might keep it to one side for my youngest when he's a bit older to appreciate it...

Cheers

Archived