Sound running away on a 37

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

While it works fine for normal running I've found that if I notch up the sound stays at higher revs and seems to ignore the notch down command. The loco will come to a stand with the engine still revving highly. Any ideas as I have to lift it off to reset it.

Thanks

The Bachmann notching is not very responsive. Have you tried repeatedly pressing the function key, toggling it on and off in rapid succession? I have found that that seems to work best with my original Bachmann sounds, using the NCE Power Pro / Power Cab. The NCE functions are all self-latching (except the Horn button) - this may not be the case with other brands of DCC controllers.

Paul

I was so unimpressed with the sound and control options in the Bachmann cl37 that I

got the chip reblown. Since my layout is only 5ft long, it just did not thrash before

running out of track.!

Have just fitted a DDC supplies brass speaker this morning and at last almost

happy...Will not buy another mind...

I never used the notch options since it just took too long to kick in...

cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I set cv49 to Loksound2 mode so the NCE latching isn't a problem it just doesn't seem to want to notch down again, and I've pressed it a lotwink.gif .

I've moved the functions to higher number buttons for now so I don't accidentally switch it on.

I set notch up and down to different function buttons as I assumed it would be better as they would cancel out on the same button.

As with Keith, I was unimpressed with the control on the Bachmann ones, although I thought the sound was good, but just needed more oomph. Boxing in the existing speaker helped considerably, then adding a second speaker helped even more.

Anyway, I got fed up with the lack of control, so had two reblown, 37 693 with Howes refurbished sounds, 37 035 (with chassis and sound from Bachmann's 37 057 Viking) with Howes unrefurbished sounds. Subsequently I bought another Bacchy 37, 37 698, and kept the original sounds but improved the speaker set up, then got another Bachmann sound decoder and speaker from Trains on Time to retro-fit 37 057 so that's back to having sound!

I have a continuous circuit so can drive the Bachmann ones according to their demands - they do sound good at full thrash with decent speaker set ups. The Howes ones are great for thrashing up and down the short branch as well, since they respond to the driver rather than the driver having to respond to the sounds, as in Bachmann and South West Digital's cases. I do find the Howes unrefurbished one a little mushy at full revs but it really sounds great getting there and even responds differently to different driving techniques - real thrash when you give it full throttle from a standing start.

• RMweb Gold

Time to retro-fit 37 057 so that's back to having sound!

My avatar is 057 in EWS livery when I had a ride acting as Groundframe operator a few years back, I'd love to have that one in OO, maybe a repaint one day. It really is a thrashing machine.

since they respond to the driver rather than the driver having to respond to the sounds, as in Bachmann and South West Digital's cases.

Ah so it isn't just me, okay maybe a trip to Howes is in order for the 2 37's.

Thanks very much chaps biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks to Hampshire Hog I had a very pleasant evening comparing my two Bachmann and SWD sound file 37's to the Howes ones, two chips will be off to Oxford soon as a result. wink.gif

I also now have a useful set of comparison files on the settings Kevin has developed with his experience of setting up the cv's on these decoders.

• RMweb Gold

did you tweak the cv at all on the Bachmann chip. They were poorly set up out of the factory but many i know have tweaked the cv and got the 37 running just as they want.

Yes I tried all sorts and tried Kevins settings too but we couldn't get it to sound right for how we wanted to drive it. I found you are driving to the chips sound rather than it responding to your control directly. No matter what we did we couldn't get it to pick up straight away, which is how I see the 37's at work. You get the initial Snort then the gap before the engine sound picks up is way too long, (sounds more like a light loco move than a loaded up one). Having worked at three places where they used to be regular performers I want to recreate the way they were driven. Ok they were generally being thrashed a bit by drivers who loved the sound but that's how they did it and what I want to recreate.

This youtube clip shows the type of sound I remember best, notice how the driver is opening and closing the throttle to increase the drama.

The Howes chips allow you to do this while I cannot get the Bachmann or SWD ones to give this amount of sound control. They are fine if you are just running around or in an MPD but for shunting especially with heavy wagons I feel the Howes chip offers a better level of realisim for me. biggrin.gif

Archived