COPYDEX

I've been using Copydex to stick down cork underlay ready for tracklaying as I have found it tends to make for quieter running than PVA, however...has anyone got any suggestions for removing Copydex from brushes? it sets rapidly to a rubbery lump and nothing seems to touch it. In theory petrol dissolves rubber.. but I am not too keen on splashing it about to clean a brush!

Steve

Hi,

at work, we use solvents for removing latex from carpets. I think it is called carbon tetrachloride :rolleyes: available from chemists... and hardware shops (but probably under a brand name!)

Just use in a very well ventilated area :blink:

Carbon tetrachloride should not be available on the high street!!

AFAIK it was banned years ago because it attacks body fats. That means it dries out your skin if it comes in contact and will have the same affect on your lungs if you inhale the fumes. It also causes liver damage. Avoid.

Check it out on Wikipedia.

EDITED to add more info

You might care to try using a scraper of polypropylene to apply copydex to flat surfaces, as a substitute for a brush. Usual thing, cut a fine sawtooth in the working edge so that thin streaks of the adhesive are applied. PTFE spatulas also work very well, but come rather expensive, unless a kitchen chuck out can be salvaged.

High octane Petrol, (lighter fliud), will remove cured latex, it's natural rubber, which Copydex is a solution off.

Any organic solvent with also attack the Copydex, and yes, carbon tetrachloride.would remove it instantly, but is not available for domestic use due to modern "health and safety" regulations. It is also considered carcinogenic on contact, odd for a material used safely in medicine for 100 years before the ban......the ban is more to do with what the stuff can be used to make.....nuff said?

Acetone is available, though, and will work as well, this is available commercially from Chemists in pure form, as solvent for lacquers like nail polish.

The non acetone nail removers may attack the Copydex, but they are weak aqueous solutions for safety reasons and sometimes are not strong enough.

The solvent sold for Evostik glue will also remove the Copydex latex rubber..

Stephen.

Carbon tetrachloride should not be available on the high street!!

AFAIK it was banned years ago because it attacks body fats. That means it dries out your skin if it comes in contact and will have the same affect on your lungs if you inhale the fumes. It also causes liver damage. Avoid.

Check it out on Wikipedia.

EDITED to add more info

Correct - you will not be able to purchase carbon tetrachoride from chemists

Nothing to do with it "attacking" body fats though. Many relatively innocuous solvents including acetone and alcohol also dissolve and extract fats from skin and should be used with care.

It is highly carcinogenic. It's continued use is very strictly controlled and should not be used in an open environment in any way.

In fact the whole family of chlorinated hydrocarbons (carbon tetrachloride, chloroform, dichloromethane) are all toxic and should never be used in hobbies.

I have used Copydex rather than PVA simply because I found a gallon container full in the garage!

To clean brushes I put a few drops of washing up liquid into a plastic container, added boiling water and then dunked the brush repeatedly into the liquid. After a minute or so the 'rubber' balls and falls off the brush easily.

Maurice C.

I have used Copydex rather than PVA simply because I found a gallon container full in the garage!

To clean brushes I put a few drops of washing up liquid into a plastic container, added boiling water and then dunked the brush repeatedly into the liquid. After a minute or so the 'rubber' balls and falls off the brush easily.

Maurice C.

Might be all right with fibre brushes, but do not do this with any brushes that are nylon, they will melt at boiling point or distort all over the place ruining the brushes. Course grade art shop brushes for oils are all right, they use natural hair, but art shop brushes may be nylon and melt.

Stephen.

Thanks for all this guys, I guess we live and learn! Copydex is seemingly 'friendlier' than PVA as it remains elastic so should be easier to make alterations to track should the need arise. Surprisingly its not particularly cheap so if youve got a gallon of it you're in luck!

Cheers

Steve

Archived