Making a new drawbar hitch (N gauge)

Well, I'm not sure if I should post this here, or just put it in my blog, but here goes...

I'm currently making the pacific Jubilee out of 'Living with London Midland Locomotives' (making something between a pigs ear and a meal of it, more like)

The tender, by itself does not have enough electrical pickup even with swapping the traction tyred (and am I ever tired) rear set to go. Indeed, at one point I thought I'd broken it.

So, I need to get power from the loco.

The problem is that between the drawbar and the tender is the trailing bogie. Now I've worked out that I can run a pair of wires through the mount for the trailing bogie - or above it to a point where a shorter drawbar (I suspect it's the long drawbar from a 4MT) will reach and sit behind the bogie.

The plan is to take a 2mm nylon bolt and put a pair of brass C sections round it so they don't touch as this should give me something like the existing drawbar hitch. The wires from the loco hitch will provide the power, and the drawbar will take it to the tender.

I'd considered a longer drawbar, but, as I said, the trailing bogie is in the way as the existing hitches are quite low. I'd considered running a pair of wires from the loco hitch to the hitch on the trailer, but given how flimsy they would have been...

So, a hitch made from a nylon bolt with two brass c sections applied. Can anybody see a reason why this will not work?

Thanks in advance.

Faye

Some sort of insulating material to go between the two 'C' sections will add strength and avoid those electrical shorts...otherwise, why shouldn't it work?

Mike

Thanks for that. As to why it shouldn't... The way today's been going... If I'd dropped something and it had ended up on the ceiling I wouldn't have been surprised. :)

Archived