Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2750's Workbench - LNER 1935-1939

Guest 2750

Depends on Colour and size do they match ?? If yes last letter or do the lot. I would change all of them as you be very lucky if they are a exact match

I'll double check, but I think that will clinch it...if they are not the same size...I'll replace the whole lot. :)

Hi, I've just had a look through your thread - the weathering throughout is superb, looks just right!

Many thanks :) I've been weathering for the past two years.....but anything realistic wise has only occurred in the last 7 months since I got an airbrush, and looked at the methods of Tim Shackleton.

I do need to get a new airbrush, due to the fact, if I'm honest my idea of cleaning clearly wasn't what was actually required for cleaning an airbrush! :blush:

I will probably go for the Neo (the cheaper Iwata Airbrush which had a good review this month in Hornby Magazine) will do the job what I need it for :)

Cleaning airbrushes is a seriously tedious job!

The Neo looks good, looks to be good value for money.

Precisely my thoughts ;) end of the month I think I'll get one of them :)

Ok...renumbering the L1....I went with the easier option, the pressfix are pretty close....on close inspection they seem a tad thicker, but with weathering on top, plus you wont be viewing under a magnifying class....I think they look allright :)

post-6764-0-98304200-1315736981_thumb.jpeg

post-6764-0-94378100-1315737003_thumb.jpeg

Evening Gents :)

To add to the post this morning, 67777 now has her Darlo Shed plate, she's almost a North Eastern Region loco now...just awaiting the transfers from Modelmasterdecals, to make up a front smokebox number plate, and she's there.....oh and then the weathering! :lol_mini:

post-6764-0-61142400-1315778837_thumb.jpeg

Hi Tom, while looking for something else I found a decent photo of 67777 on Darlington shed 20-9-1959, it's in BRILL mag vol.16 no.4 Jan 2007. If you'd like a scan of it PM me. Cheers Phil.

Thanks Phil, but I indeed have that issue.....it's vol 16 no 5 that I really want.... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil, but I indeed have that issue.....it's vol 16 no 5 that I really want.... :scratchhead:

Hi Tom, among the few issues I have saved due to the NE content thats one of them! If there's anything you'd like scanning I'll see what I can do. Just flicking thro' I see Darlington Pt.2 with some good views of the shed and an OS map. Loco of note is Blink Bonny.

PM me if you're interested cheers Phil.

Thanks again Phil but a fellow RMwebber has kindly scanned the article.

I'm just searching a hard copy now...particular also for the Great Northern Glory article :)

• RMweb Premium

snapback.pngTom F, on 16 September 2011 - 19:36 , said:

Thanks again Phil but a fellow RMwebber has kindly scanned the article.

I'm just searching a hard copy now...particular also for the Great Northern Glory article :)

No worries, I've just reached that article, I always thumb backwards thro' mags :no: . Some nice pics.

Afternoon Gents.

Well, first free day in quite a while, and figured I'd get on with weathering 67777.

I used this picture of one of her sister locos from the early 50s as my reference.

An-Illustrated-History-of-the-North-Yorkshire-Moors-Railway-(Illustrated-History).jpg

and here she is, no sun I'm afraid today :( and forgive the top numberplate, I'm awaiting transfers from Modelmaster's.

DSCF2153.jpg

DSCF2156.jpg

DSCF2157.jpg

DSCF2158.jpg

oh and one I forgot to put in

DSCF2159.jpg

I tried to capture the picture as best I could. Method was a mix of airbrush, wiping on and off action with the use of white spirit to get a streaked effect in places, with a touch of powders.

Cheers

Tom

Just a quickie...I figured a shot on 'what is left' of the layout was worth doing, trying in someways to capture the look in the photo I worked from.

DSCF2163.jpg

DSCF2164.jpg

I apologies for hogging the weathering thread today, and I promise this is the last time I update it tonight! :scratchhead:

I have looked back on the pictures posted today, and I've just not been happy, so a semi strip down and start again, and finally I feel somewhat happy.

See what you guys think.

DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2170.jpg

DSCF2172.jpg

I aslo added some subtle rust streaks onto the smoke box sides with some Carr Powders.

Feel alot better than I did early today :)

It was perfect before Tom, but you've gilded the lily in spite of that. I must take care of this one myself!

Dave.

Thanks Dave :) your too kind!

Something just didn't seem right with her before.

The problem with me is I lack confidence with my skills....and constantly feel like I need others to say...'yes that looks right' or 'no it doesn't'. I need to be able to look at my own work and be able to say 'yes...thats right' and not to have to come to others to get the 'seal of approval'....if that makes sense. :unsure:

I'll sit back down now..... :blush:

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Tom, as has been said, it looked ok before, however now you're happy with it that's the main thing. I prefer the colouring now and if you fancy some additional streaks etc I'm sure the inspiration will come. Some times less is more (oh no a cliche!) :no: seriously well done cheers Phil.

Looking good Tom, as has been said, it looked ok before, however now you're happy with it that's the main thing. I prefer the colouring now and if you fancy some additional streaks etc I'm sure the inspiration will come. Some times less is more (oh no a cliche!) :no: seriously well done cheers Phil.

Thanks Phil

What I'm pleased about, is underneath the general grime, you can see the build up in the corner areas.

Happy to leave her be.....she will just require chipping....and a new layout to run her on ;)

Afternoon Gents.

Well, the sun has come out in the Dales, and I figured I could get a couple of good snaps of 67777 today. As a good friend on here told me, nothing beats natural light for photography of locos. Absolutely! ;)

And here she is, really pleased with the finish look now.

DSCF2174.jpg

DSCF2175.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

DSCF2177.jpg

and finally, this close up on the smoke box, showing the slight rust effect I was able to capture with powders, quite pleased with that.

DSCF2178.jpg

Was the stating source th early or late crest model? I ask because the steps on mine are different.

Hi David,

yep she was Early Crest, contract built and numbered 67772. I needed a contract built one, as the L1s stabled at 51A were all of contract build with split running plate.....I think!

Afternoon all :)

This week the new 'Aspects of Modelling on Weathering' arrived by Mr Tim Shackleton. His work has been my main inspiration along with a few RMwebbers, to really push what I can do with weathering. The book certainly was an inspiration, more helpful in someways that his Right Track DVD as I can keep referring to it where ever I am.

Anyhow, it was while reading the book this weekend I realised I wasn't happy with the L1....and then realised I hadn't buffed the model with a cotton wall bud, which is one of the reason Mr Shakleton suggest using Metalcote Gun Metal. So I have buffed the smoke box and part of the tanks of the L1...and I'm really pleased with the results, and the recent weather certainly helps with the photos!

post-6764-0-00349200-1317471455_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-85865800-1317471468_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-15968500-1317471485_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-43828100-1317471497_thumb.jpg

Archived