Marston Vale Layout

MarstonVale

Having visited this site on a number of occasions for advice and inspiration, I have decided to share the progress of my layout that I am creating. The layout is a modern image (2005 onwards) OO scale which will contain a small maintenance depot, a branch line with a level crossing and possibly a small station. I originally started to build a layout in my shed, but with the extreme temperatures and the cost of heating through the winter months, this was scrapped and a new layout was started towards the end of 2009 that I would work on and keep in the warmth of the spare bedroom.

As I live very close to the Marston Vale line which runs from Bletchley to Bedford, I decided I would build my layout loosely based on this line.

It is powered by DCC, will have working lights, and the locos will be fitted with sound.

I will load some photos of the progress I have made so far.

If you have any questions, advice or comments, please feel free to post.

I first started with a 4" x 2" mdf board which I supported underneath with some wooden beams.

The track is all Peco finescale. Track, points and lights had been fitted and wired at this stage. Buildings have been placed on the layout as an experiment.

This photo was taken at the end of March 10.

blogentry-5415-127343422478_thumb.jpg

As you can see, this doesnt leave much room for movements, so another board was built, this time 5" x 2" and attached using alignment dowels.

blogentry-5415-127343487811_thumb.jpg

I then set about ballasting and fixing the fuel point to the layout.

blogentry-5415-127343518591_thumb.jpg

Finally, I have installed some lights around the fuel storage tanks.

blogentry-5415-127343545163_thumb.jpg

My next tasks are to complete the ballasting on these two boards, then fit and wire the remaining point motors.

post-5415-0-81735000-1298236307_thumb.jpg

post-5415-0-24313300-1298236366_thumb.jpg

post-5415-0-25381800-1298236430_thumb.jpg

post-5415-0-42625400-1298236528_thumb.jpg

I had problems with the baseboard bowing and the track rising at the ends due to insufficient depth to the baseboard and having the board rest on trestles. I replaced them with 10cm thick boards, removed and replaced the track close to the edges. I've read so many comments that a layout is only as good as its baseboard and I have learnt the hard way.

I still have the main line to re-lay but that can wait for another day.

The board with the entrance to the depot was laid and points wired.

post-5415-0-58841100-1298237099_thumb.jpg

I then set about the depot area. I bought some concrete sheet material, but didnt like the apperance when laid, so decided to use fila instead. First I laid cork around the depot to give it some thickness and to save on the amount of fila needed.

post-5415-0-29896200-1298237208_thumb.jpg

I masked of the track and depot insection pits, then spread the fila over the top of the cork and left it to dry overnight.

post-5415-0-89187000-1298237276_thumb.jpg

In the morning I sanded down the rough parts using a dry sander. Then I switched to a wet sander and sanded down to a reasonably smooth finish. I masked around the track leading into the depot

and filled in the gaps between the track.

post-5415-0-88243000-1298237379_thumb.jpg

On another layout I used string attached to the rails before filling in, but I wasnt happy with the finish. Instead I waited a short while for the fila to set then moved an old two axle wagon over the rails to create a small gap for other rolling stock to run in and out smoothly. This still needed some sanding and some filing to get a nice finish.

Im not sure if I should paint the fila as it seems to be a nice shade as is. Maybe it just needs some weathering and oil stains.

post-5415-0-76865900-1298237452_thumb.jpg

post-5415-0-95511700-1298237598_thumb.jpg

The last post was around Dec10. Over the christmas and new year period not much has been done. However some new models have arrived.

Namely the Hornby East Midlands HST pack and coaches, along with a Howes sound chip.

This is an excellent model and this livery is one I have been waiting along time to be released.

The Howes sound chip is superb, i'm really pleased with it. The layouts not big enough for it to stretch its legs, YET! :D

post-5415-0-49856200-1298238514_thumb.jpg

I have also purchased a Hornby DB Schenker Class 60 in the Red/Grey livery.

This was purchased from Olivia's and has been resprayed brilliantly.

post-5415-0-69184900-1298238853_thumb.jpg

Some more lighting arrived last week and I have fitted some along the farside of the layout along with some walling.

I now need to lay some more fila (concrete), attach more lighting, and sort out the fencing between the depot and the mainline.

post-5415-0-84347400-1298239145_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris, I use Polycell Multi Purpose No Sanding Polyfilla. It states 'ultra smooth - requires no sanding', but I found a little wet sanding and left to dry leaves a good finish for modelling purposes.

Rails of Sheffield were doing a fantastic deal for the Virgin HST pack, £69.50 I think it was, but it was only for 1 day. They may still have this at a good price.

The HST doesnt run on the Marston line, but from where I walk my dogs, I can see the Midland Mainline in the distance so thats my excuse for having one :D

Just need Bachmann to release a EMT Class 222.

Paul

Hi

Ive seen the videos of this layout on YouTabe, looks good B)

On the 2 road shed, whats the distance between the 2 tracks?

Regards

Lewis

Hi Lewis,

The rails closest together are 51mm apart.

Here is a photo, poor quality i'm afraid, but I think you can get from it what you need.

post-5415-0-32765900-1298314358_thumb.jpg

nice start.Love the lights ? Will you be expanding it to include forders sidings and the brickworks ?!

You have planted a seed....

I had a quick look at Bing maps and found the following.

post-5415-0-76942700-1298371468_thumb.jpg

It would provide lots of play with an EWS 08 shunter, 60's and 66's coming and going, along with the London Midland 150's and 153's running up and down the line.

Very tempting.... :)

Hi Chris, I use Polycell Multi Purpose No Sanding Polyfilla. It states 'ultra smooth - requires no sanding', but I found a little wet sanding and left to dry leaves a good finish for modelling purposes.

Rails of Sheffield were doing a fantastic deal for the Virgin HST pack, £69.50 I think it was, but it was only for 1 day. They may still have this at a good price.

The HST doesnt run on the Marston line, but from where I walk my dogs, I can see the Midland Mainline in the distance so thats my excuse for having one :D

Just need Bachmann to release a EMT Class 222.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I will definitely look into using that on my layout. Did you have any problems with the filla affecting the track current?

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, I will definitely look into using that on my layout. Did you have any problems with the filla affecting the track current?

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Current is fine.

I just had to keep sanding down until the tops of the rail were clean.

Not had any problems since.

Paul

Hi Chris,

Current is fine.

I just had to keep sanding down until the tops of the rail were clean.

Not had any problems since.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Fantastic, hopefully I won't have any problems either! Fingers crossed.........

Chris

Archived