Howes/Heljan Class 47 battery box/fuel tank spares

Waverley West

Hi folks,

Just a quick question, don't think it's been asked before:

Do Howes/Heljan do the fuel tank/battery box arrangement for the 47/7s as a spare? If so, which one (i.e. which number) do I need to order on the Howes website?

Any answers gratefully received! It would save me a lot of time cutting and shutting my own version. :D

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the Howes site again, this one:

Product Code 7004600B

Product Name Class 47 sprue (black)

Full Description

1 x 11 fuel tanks/battery boxes

1 x 12 fuel tanks/battery boxes

1 x 15 fuel tanks/battery boxes

1 x 16 fuel tanks/battery boxes

1 x 13 battery boxes

1 x 14 battery boxes

2 x 17 bogie side frames

2 x 18 bogie side frames

seems to contain four versions, so one of them must be the right one I guess!

Trouble is, they're out of stock. Will contact Howes to see when they're likely to get any more in.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Dave

It's three versions - 11 & 12 are one variation's two halves, like wise 15 & 16 form another. Finally 13 & 14 are the battery only version. From memory the centre portion is on another sprue.

I'm hoping that's right as I'm going from memory and can't check 'til I'm in the workshop!

It's three versions - 11 & 12 are one variation's two halves, like wise 15 & 16 form another. Finally 13 & 14 are the battery only version. From memory the centre portion is on another sprue.

I'm hoping that's right as I'm going from memory and can't check 'til I'm in the workshop!

So I might need more than just the one sprue then?

Maybe this one:

7004600 CClass 47 sprue (black)

(Heljan)

2 x 38 cab interiors

1 each 50, 51, 52 fuel tank inner frame

2 x 9 "cut-away" buffer beams

2 x 10 original buffer beams

2 x 30 snowploughs

Also includes 7057000: Class 57 sprue (black)

2 x 9 buffer beams

?

They were out of stock for ages but Howes recently had a delivery I guess. I noticed they were in and pounced ( I'm sure I wasn't the only one).

I have a surplus now that I have sorted all of my 47's and was considering offering up the surplus to the masses on here.

I'm off to the For Sale section now...

• RMweb Premium

By coincidence I asked Howes about these a few weeks ago and they said if they come in again it will only be when the new run of 47s has been out for a few months. Heljan only do spares once they've done all their production runs, apparently. For what it's worth, I can confirm what previous poster said: three types of fuel tanks/battery boxes on the sprue inc. for what's sometimes called 47/7a (701-17), and yes you need a different sprue for the centre section. Don't know how you get the white pipe run for 47/7s. Did Heljan ever do one?

• 2 weeks later...

There are only spares available when there has been a loco production run. The unnumbered 47s have hit the shops and Howes are back in stock of spares. All the underframe boxes come in one (cheap) spares order. If you want Oil coolers (and 47/7s look daft without them) I can let you have a set or two..... I have loads. Don't ask. Heljan ploughs are essential spare for almost every Scottish loco (bar the 47/7s) so grab them while you can!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived