On Traxs Utrecht 25, 26,27 February

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Just a brief note to say that one of our club layouts Farkham will be exhibited in Holland this weekend at the On Traxs show held in the Utrecht Railway Museum (not to be confused with Eurospoor in October)

Other UK representatives are Paul Holmes with his 7mm narrow gauge layout Dinas and Christopher Payne with Portpyn in 1:35.

I was manning the 7mm NG Association stand next to Paul at the Warley show in 2009 when the guys from On Traxs invited him and thought that our Association information stand came as part of the package - when they realised it was just a membership info stand, we were still invited but at our own expense :lol:

Deatils of the show are here http://www.spoorwegmuseum.nl/news__press/on_traxs.html

Layout list here http://www.spoorwegmuseum.nl/news__press/on_traxs/deelnemers_on_traxs_2011.html

Good luck to Alex, Dave and Paul from Mickleover for 'flying the flag' on the club's first continental excursion. The national colour for Holland is orange - I wonder what they'll make of the purple drapes around Farkham :lol:

Mike

"OntraXs" exhibition Utrecht 25-27 February Spoorwegmuseum (Utrecht Railway Museum)

I note the above two postings and wish to comment as follows.

[1] I thank Mike Bellamy for mentioning that my "Portpyn" layout is one of those to be exhibited. If I may I offer the gentle corrective that it is 1:34 (and not 1:35) scale. Having also been an exhibitor last year I can say that I imagine those travelling with layouts from the UK will have a good weekend.

[2] The significant criticisms made in the second posting cannot go unanswered. There are ever discussions about preservation, the rights and wrongs thereof, styles of museum curatorship, etc. As for the intent of the show organisers, it should be understood that (including that held at nearby Houten in March) there are three major exhibitions held at Utrecht and perhaps it is entirely valid for the newest of these to strike out in a particular and possibly new direction. That criticisms of such strength are offered anonymously (that is to say by someone who hides behind a pseudonym) is in my opinion at best impolite and at worst improper. Those who care to be fair minded can get an impression of last year's event by watching the relevant edition of the German Television programme "Eisenbahn Romantik" which I will admit in advance includes a report on my own "Sutton Wharf" layout.

http://www.swr.de/eisenbahn-romantik/-/id=98578/did=7531888/pv=video/nid=98578/1pof8of/index.html

Christopher Payne

"Portpyn" 1:34

"St Pierre" 1:34e

"Sutton Wharf" 1:25

“Paradise Mining Co†1:25

"Brink Valley Tramway" 1:43.5

Forthcoming exhibitions

25-27 Feb Utrecht - Portpyn

13 Aug MOMING'11

• RMweb Premium

I thank Mike Bellamy for mentioning that my "Portpyn" layout is one of those to be exhibited. If I may I offer the gentle corrective that it is 1:34 (and not 1:35) scale. Having also been an exhibitor last year I can say that I imagine those travelling with layouts from the UK will have a good weekend.

Christopher Payne

"Portpyn" 1:34

Forthcoming exhibitions

25-27 Feb Utrecht - Portpyn

Apologies Christopher - fat fingers on keyboard :lol:

One thing I don't understand is that the links I posted above don't seem to work now ?? However you can get to those pages with a Google (or other) search. They certainly worked in the preview as I wanted to be sure I had copied a link to the English translation

Mike

"OntraXs" exhibition Utrecht 25-27 February Spoorwegmuseum (Utrecht Railway Museum)

No apologies necessary Mike - easily done.

The same difficulty with the link was experienced by some when I posted it elsewhere. Googling "OntraXs" (as one word with the upper case "X" thus) seems to work to access the Dutch language site. The English one can then be selected on the right hand side.

It is to be noted the the Dutch railway museum is no longer a museum. It's a themepark, period. Many historical pieces are hidden in darkness for some sort of rollercoaster ride and there were even plans to disassemble the last surviving 1934 DMU, fortunately that didn't happen after enormous protests from the enthusiasts scene, as an example of how irresponsible the new management is regarding the national railway heritage and the importance of surviving stock, in many cases the last of their series...

As for the show itself: it purely aims at the layouts the organisers consider top-notch. No regard is taken in respect to what the general public wants to see, just what they themselves would want to see. The organisers are professional photographers, and as such require a layout to be of the "3D-painting" type and exhibitors to share their view of how a layout must be presented. They want the best of the best exclusively, in a vain attempt to "raise the substandard level of model railways exhibited on other shows", disregarding the abilities, time and/or finances of the common modeller to achieve anything approaching the very high standards the organisers have set. (FYI: I spoke to one of these organisers some time ago and he admitted these facts...)

As you can imagine, you won't find me on that show, nor in that venue. Ever.... :fool_mini:

After reading your comments (which appear to smell of sour grapes) I think I'll see the show/venue and decide for myself.

Maybe next year.

Mac.

Just a brief note to say that one of our club layouts Farkham will be exhibited in Holland this weekend at the On Traxs show held in the Utrecht Railway Museum (not to be confused with Eurospoor in October)

Other UK representatives are Paul Holmes with his 7mm narrow gauge layout Dinas and Christopher Payne with Portpyn in 1:35.

I was manning the 7mm NG Association stand next to Paul at the Warley show in 2009 when the guys from On Traxs invited him and thought that our Association information stand came as part of the package - when they realised it was just a membership info stand, we were still invited but at our own expense :lol:

Deatils of the show are here http://www.spoorwegm...s/on_traxs.html

Layout list here http://www.spoorwegm...traxs_2011.html

Good luck to Alex, Dave and Paul from Mickleover for 'flying the flag' on the club's first continental excursion. The national colour for Holland is orange - I wonder what they'll make of the purple drapes around Farkham :lol:

Mike

Mike.

I think I saw the layout you mentioned..'Farkham' at the Hartlepool exhibition.

I was very impressed with the overall standard and the way there was always 'something running' for the public.

What I want to ask you is if the DVD of Farkham is still available?

The one I bought was loaned to a 'friend' who never returned it!

I recall that two versions were available.. Standard and HD resolution?

Do you know if it's possible to buy the HD version?

Mac.

What I want to ask you is if the DVD of Farkham is still available? The one I bought was loaned to a 'friend' who never returned it! I recall that two versions were available.. Standard and HD resolution?

Do you know if it's possible to buy the HD version?

I think I am correct in saying that the DVD inclduing Farkfam was a commercially produced one on modern image layouts, it is not a 'club' production and not available through Mickleover MRG (sorry and all that but that's the way it is). Your best bet is to throttle your 'friend' or check out the various DVD suppliers at exhibitions.

I think I am correct in saying that the DVD inclduing Farkfam was a commercially produced one on modern image layouts, it is not a 'club' production and not available through Mickleover MRG (sorry and all that but that's the way it is). Your best bet is to throttle your 'friend' or check out the various DVD suppliers at exhibitions.

Bruce and Mike.

Apologies for getting my layouts mixed up!

For Farkham...read Thurston.. This is the club DVD I'm after.

I've seen Farkham before and liked the way the layout was split into 'sections'

by the use of view blockers. Very realistic.

Just out of interest; both layouts can be seen on YouTube.

Mac.

• RMweb Premium

Available from Modern Structures in Minature - Modern Image Layouts Volume 1 - £9

http://www.dyserth-road.co.uk/Temporary/index.htm

I see that they now have 11 DVDs available of various layouts including some steam

Further details of Thurston can be found here along with three You-Tube links

http://www.app-ltd.com/elymrc/thurston_layout.htm

Mike

Hello people on this forum,

My name is Henk van der Kolk and I am one of the three guys who organize the OntraXS! exhibition in the Dutch Railway Museum in Utrecht. At first, we are a team on our own and no members of the railway museum, so we don't get payed by them or by any other organisation. What happens with the Dutch railway heritage is a museum thing on wich we have no influance at all. Just as there is no influance from the museum people in our modelrailway event. The names from the other team members are Marty van Beek and Paul de Groot. At least now you know who we are...

We started OntraXS! in 2009, so this was our third exhibition on row. Again it was a succes, for a big part because of the people from the Mickleover MR Group, mister Paul Holmes and our friend mister Christopher Payne. Last year we had from the big island the layouts from mister Peter Goss, friends of our country John & Jane Jacobs and there he is again, mister Christopher Payne.

I hope you all are ok with it when I will post every now and then some OntraXS! stuff on your forum. When not, please let me know. Again, we are no commercial organization. Just three stupid modelrailway fans over the years who think to now what our visitors wanted to see. And yes, we will decide what is good enough for the event. But, we are no proffesional railway fotographers, according to me "the king of fuzzyness"...

Sorry for my English. Because I am most of the time used to write in Dutch and German it's a bit rusty, just as my own railway projects...

Cheers,

Henk van der Kolk, Team OntraXS!

Having visited this year's OntraXS event, I would have to say I found it a day well spent. It is held at the Het Spoorwegmuseum, an interesting place in its own right being a former railway station (enjoying a shuttle passenger service linking it with Utrecht Centraal during the exhibition and on certain other days). The admission fee of 13.50 Euros is the same during OntraXS as it is on normal museum open days. It is a more compact site than our National Railway Museum and there are many interesting exhibits inside and outside the main buildings. For example, you will find WD 2-10-0 'Longmoor' there and a Beyer Peacock built steam locomotive. One of the'Tommy' nameplates from the famous Woodhead line electric was on display during the weekend. Outside in the yard you will discover examples of the Dutch Class 08 'lookalike' diesel-electric shunters. Yes, there are some 'theme ride' style interpretative displays in the museum - I did not visit these as the queues to get in were too long. One of the steam locomotive exhibits is elevated high off the ground, giving new meaning to the legend of the 'Flying Dutchman'! The layouts and trade stands were set out within the main exhibition hall, mingling with the locomotives, rolling stock and other artefacts (I did wonder what our health & safety folk would think about visitors stepping over the tracks?). It was good to see three layouts there from the UK and there were exhibits from and representing various parts of the world, from Europe to the US and India. Yes, some of the layouts on display were small, but that does not mean they were not interesting. There were micro layouts and dioramas, some were like a snapshot with a few moving trains, but some of us enjoy that form of modelling just as much as a big layout. There were big layouts there too. I am sure that the exhibition would not be to everyone's taste, but no more or less so than any British show surely? Yes, it is a bit different, but for me that is a plus. Personally I think the organisers should be congratulated for OntraXS 2011. It was my first visit to this event, but it definitely won't be my last.

Having visited this year's OntraXS event, I would have to say I found it a day well spent. It is held at the Het Spoorwegmuseum, an interesting place in its own right being a former railway station (enjoying a shuttle passenger service linking it with Utrecht Centraal during the exhibition and on certain other days). The admission fee of 13.50 Euros is the same during OntraXS as it is on normal museum open days. It is a more compact site than our National Railway Museum and there are many interesting exhibits inside and outside the main buildings. For example, you will find WD 2-10-0 'Longmoor' there and a Beyer Peacock built steam locomotive. One of the'Tommy' nameplates from the famous Woodhead line electric was on display during the weekend. Outside in the yard you will discover examples of the Dutch Class 08 'lookalike' diesel-electric shunters. Yes, there are some 'theme ride' style interpretative displays in the museum - I did not visit these as the queues to get in were too long. One of the steam locomotive exhibits is elevated high off the ground, giving new meaning to the legend of the 'Flying Dutchman'! The layouts and trade stands were set out within the main exhibition hall, mingling with the locomotives, rolling stock and other artefacts (I did wonder what our health & safety folk would think about visitors stepping over the tracks?). It was good to see three layouts there from the UK and there were exhibits from and representing various parts of the world, from Europe to the US and India. Yes, some of the layouts on display were small, but that does not mean they were not interesting. There were micro layouts and dioramas, some were like a snapshot with a few moving trains, but some of us enjoy that form of modelling just as much as a big layout. There were big layouts there too. I am sure that the exhibition would not be to everyone's taste, but no more or less so than any British show surely? Yes, it is a bit different, but for me that is a plus. Personally I think the organisers should be congratulated for OntraXS 2011. It was my first visit to this event, but it definitely won't be my last.

John.

Thanks for the good review.

I'm thinking about visiting Utrecht to see the museum.

I believe two model railway exhibitions held there: one in Feb and one in Oct ?

What I wanted to ask you is if there are other railway attractions in the area

and are they open to the public in February ?

Mac.

To clarify the situation it is only the OntraXs exhibition that is held in the Museum. The show in October is held elsewhere and run by another organisation.

I understand that next year OntraXs will be held on Friday/Saturday/Sunday 2/3/4 March 2012.

Christopher Payne

Hello again,

Here you can find a great OntraXS! 2011 photoimpression made by Rene Wolf. He was there with his own 0n30 layout `Wolfscreek`. I hope you enjoy the pictures as I did. When not, tell me why too. We can only learn from our mistakes.

Cheers,

Henk

Hello again,

Here you can find a great OntraXS! 2011 photoimpression made by Rene Wolf. He was there with his own 0n30 layout `Wolfscreek`. I hope you enjoy the pictures as I did. When not, tell me why too. We can only learn from our mistakes.

Cheers,

Henk

Henk.

Thanks for the Link.

I don't think he took enough photo's.

I recognise the tram layout from Continental Modeller.

Mac.

Archived