2mm & N Track- someone set me straight

• RMweb Premium

Going back to your original question I can confirm that I have been watching a converted 2mm Grafar tank running around a Kato loop for the last 1/2 hour. Most its ever run and perhaps the chassis/wheels turning isn't as bad as I originally thought...:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Kris

Gordon turned the wheels for me via the 2mm Association. I had thought that it was a dog been a 3 pole Farish however it trundled round on DC ( its fitted DCC ) for 1/2 a hour not slow but not too fast which confirms that my running problems are track related :angry:

Hi Ken,

I think it's mainly due to the different tolerances between the back to backs of N gauge and 2mm. The back to back measurement is the distance, measured parallel to the axle, between the inside flanges of the wheels.

<snip>

With code 55 and code 80 rail, the number refers to the height of the rail in thousands of an inch, and has nothing really to do with gauge. Code 80 does allow you to run older stock with deeper flanges.

hth

Paul

Hello Paul,

Thanks, things are a lot clearer now.

I mentioned code 80 rail because I have my doubts about using N gauge gauges (there it is again) with code 40 track but that's another story and I will raise it on another thread.

Thanks again,

Ken

• RMweb Gold

Peco code 55 is a bit of a cheat as part of the rail is buried in the sleepers to get the lower rail height. Works ok and looks better but you couldn't use it for making your own points. The issue with N gauge is not just the gauge but also the width and depth of the flanges and the back to back setting. Some of the very old N stuff has flanges deeper than code 40 rail but the newer stuff is fine.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Kris

Gordon turned the wheels for me via the 2mm Association. I had thought that it was a dog been a 3 pole Farish however it trundled round on DC ( its fitted DCC ) for 1/2 a hour not slow but not too fast which confirms that my running problems are track related :angry:

Good about the loco, rather a pain about the track.

Archived