Fordingbridge

Tim Hale

'Forgive me if this is posted somewhere already, but what size is the layout so far (i.e. the section visible in the previous photos)?'

It's probably easier for me to show a track plan than to simply give dimensions of the station area shown in the pics. The shed is 6.25m x 3m, the station length is 3.3m from entry point to exit point, baseboards are 800mm wide.

Thanks for the kind comments.

post-11197-0-18454600-1314301645_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-22324400-1314301842_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Less than 3 miles from Fordingbridge is the next station on the line, Breamore. This is one of the 2 options I have for the opposite end of my layout. Just finished the main station building, which, incidentally, is almost identical to Verwood.post-11197-0-44078000-1315342331_thumb.jpgpost-11197-0-21517100-1315342461_thumb.jpgpost-11197-0-67214200-1315342530_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That is incredible! *I had no idea you were building a model of Breamore Station.

Having driven past it for 18 years I can confirm it looks a fine representation of the station.

Just out of interest, is the only difference between this and Verwood station the inclusion of two windows on the approach road side of the station building in the 'middle section'?

I was going to do a model of the whole of Breamore, but I don't think I will now if I have this standard of modelling to live up to! ;)

Absolutely superb :clapping_mini:

*Edit: Just realised you did tell me you were doing a model of Breamore Station - gosh, I didn't know my memory was that bad.

"Just out of interest, is the only difference between this and Verwood station the inclusion of two windows on the approach road side of the station building in the 'middle section'?"

I've spent many hours poring over whatever photographs I can find of Breamore and Verwood in attempt to get the scale and details as accurate as I can. Main sources for Verwood pics has been the web, plus a varied selection in the following books:

Branch Lines Around Wimborne - Middleton Press

Lost Railways of Hampshire - Leslie Oppitz

Salisbury & Dorset Junction Railway - Nigel Bray

As far as I can tell the two principal differences are, as you say, a pair of windows in centre rear wall for Verwood and one larger window for Breamore, plus the small return wall on the platform side is blank with a notice board at Verwood whereas Breamore has a very narrow (24") door and a small window, as shown in this close-up.

post-11197-0-04674800-1315421796.jpg

After building Breamore it would be a much easier task to build Verwood as I have all the patterns etc already made. Breamore has had approx 50 hours spent on it so far.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for clearing that up Bill.

I really do like Breamore - yes Verwood looked a nice station as well, but I never really liked the way the signal box was squeezed between the small goods shed(?) and the main station building - it always looked somewhat awkward to me. I am debating whether to build Breamore and also one of the 'Old Road' stations such as West Moors or maybe even Ringwood or not.

Have you ever been inside Breamore station? I remember going in a few years back must have been just after they finished the restoration. Was very interesting to have a look in there and it's a shame I didn't have my camera with me. They have just finished clearing out the whole station area from trees and brambles and I just hope the rumour that they may be building low cost housing on the site by the cattle dock is false!

• RMweb Premium

The end gable at Verwodd was also slightly larger and in the wall at the West Moors end of Verwood there was also a window (hidden of course by the signal box)

At Verwood there was until the early 50's a postbox next to the door to the booking office, which around that time is then moved to the rear outside wall.

lovely models as ever

Duncan

Duncan, do you have any more details on Verwood, especially any external dimensions? As I'm sure you know, there are only a limited number of photographs generally available. Interesting that there is a window in the end wall facing the signal box, I've not found that in any photos yet.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill,

Sadly I don't have proper external dimensions. I have some notes given to me a few years ago and some photos of the rear from various sources. The window at the end I first saw in a display at the first Blandford exibition, I will dig them out over the next week or so (work allowing and drop you a message)

Kind regards

Duncan

• 1 month later...

Another update.

After completing Breamore station building I spent a few evenings making a start on the station masters garden at Fordingbridge. My progress on this was interrupted by a trip to Russia with my wife.

Greenhouse by Wills, Anderson shelter, empty barrel, spade etc scratch built.

post-11197-0-60698200-1318712927_thumb.jpg

Garden shed, compost bin, runners etc.

post-11197-0-47200300-1318712961_thumb.jpg

Upon returning from Russia I started work on something I've wanted to model for years. The 'real world' location of this is at Wellow, on the A36 between Southampton and Salisbury where I spent the first 30 years of my life. I'm relocating it to the area between Fordingbridge and Breamore on my layout. The original was built in 1923 by Mr Jim Hatch snr to supply petrol and paraffin, supplementing the main business of bicycle repairs. Upon his death the business continued under the guidance of his son, also Jim, who is running it still today. In the 50s and 60s it was always busy on car repairs as well as the bicycle business.

Built as a separate module to be let into the layout when complete

post-11197-0-97606600-1318712987_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-54246200-1318713043_thumb.jpg

I struggled trying to make the Castrol oil jug. It's only 3mm tall and 1.5mm diameter. Does anyone make one that I can buy?

post-11197-0-28047600-1318713077_thumb.jpg

I wanted to model the internal of the garage much as I remember it. I need to make a lot more clutter, it's far too tidy at the moment.

post-11197-0-97046000-1318713123_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-19055300-1318713164_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-22259600-1318713227_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-54396200-1318713258_thumb.jpg

To be able to see the internals I made up a couple of lights fitted into the removable roof.

post-11197-0-62262900-1318712511_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-14145900-1318712582_thumb.jpg

Still a lot to do in both the garage and the garden. The beauty of this hobby, no time to get bored, always plenty to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update on the layout, but a fair amount of work has been done, including my attempts to lightly weather all the locos and rolling stock, replacing the station fencing, making and fitting point levers etc. I'm now well into the building process of Verwood, another station on the Salisbury & Dorset. It's taken some time to gather enough information to be confident in making a representative model. My thanks to Tim Hale for general info and pointing me in the right direction for books etc, and to Duncan(Blandford1969) for some very scarce photos. This could be the 'other station' on the layout, in the meantime I'm hoping to have just Verwood as a working diorama ready for Taunton members day.

post-11197-0-80082100-1325972129_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-61681600-1325972175_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-21437100-1325972213_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-59626700-1325972234_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-89728300-1325972256_thumb.jpg

post-11197-0-50877600-1325972277_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Verwood is absolutley stunning Bill. In the end what was the difference between Breamore and Verwood on the gable with the post box on it? - For others reading, who are not aware of some of the details of Verwood, the postbox was originally located on the platform side next to the Booking Office door, but by 1950 had been moved to the rear of the building.

One day I will build a model of Verwood.......

This year, Bill is bringing his buildings and I am presenting 'Gardening for Modellers'

Tim

BTW Mr. Maddocks was offered 'Modelling for Gardeners' but the thought of Alan Titchmarsh on the catwalk was too much for the youngster.

Hi Nick,

Firstly, these models are nothing to do with Tim. I've built many of the structures for his layout as he's a friend, but all the models shown in this thread are built by myself for my own layouts.

The Verwood models are built in a similar fashion to those I took to Taunton last year, but are all new since Christmas. They will be there this year along with several others, hopefully as a demo/display on the structure of the Salisbury & Dorset line. Last year was Fordingbridge and Downton station buildings and demo of Midsommer being built, which was for Tims layout before he changed his mind on the location and he is now using the Downton buildings.

Gday Bill, forgive me for joining the me too brigade but am moved to say some great modelling there. More so than many models I see you have an uncanny knack of accurately portraying the prototype and look of a real location. Also if it hasnt already been answered may I ask what do you use for your brick?

Regards Glenn

Archived