"DCC ready" Very basic question about the meaning of this

sn

I hope you'll forgive the very basic nature of this question. At some point in the future I am thinking of converting to digital. On the Hattons website it shows some locos as being "dcc ready." Does this mean that they can only be used on a digital system or that they can be used in future in a digital system when wired in but will now run conventionally?

I

Hello SN

The loco will run on DC when purchased. When you decide to convert to DCC, it's just a matter of removing the body, removing the blanking plug from the socket mentioned by Mod5, and plugging in your chosen decoder.

The loco will then run as address 3 until you decide to give a new address.

Regards

Jeff

Just to add to what Mod5 and Jeff have said............

The "DCC Ready" loco has a socket on the circuit board inside the loco.

The loco will come with a blanking plug fitted in that socket, allowing it to run on DC.

To convert it to run on DCC, simply remove the blanking plug and replace it with the DCC decoder.

With a decoder fitted, the loco will now run on DCC, but can also run on DC (subject to certain proviso's).

If the blanking plug is removed and not replaced by a decoder, or if a decoder is removed and not replaced with a blanking plug, the loco will not work.

Gradually new all models are becoming "DCC Ready", allowing for easy conversion to DCC.

Having the socket fitted should have no effect on their ability to be run normally on DC.

The sockets are normally 8-pin or 21-pin for 00/H0 and 6-pin for N gauge.

"DCC Fitted" or "DCC on-board" loco's are just "DCC Ready" loco's with a decoder pre-fitted at the factory.

Usually they just have a decoder installed in the socket instead of a blanking plug (not rocket science).

This has the advantage of not having to remove the loco body to fit a decoder yourself, but the disadvantage of being presented with the manufacturers choice of decoder. Some people would prefer to fit their own choice of decoder, usually of a higher spec. than the pre-fitted model.

Note:

Some Hornby "DCC fitted/on-board" models have been fitted with propriatry connectors instead of normal sockets, which means if you wish to change to another decoder a bit of re-wiring is involved. They usually come with a very basic decoder installed. This is a bit of a pain if you wish to change decoders.

Warning: there are still plenty of Hornby DCC models left on model Shop shelves, which are fitted with their first basic decoder (R8215). These are a pile of c**p the source of a lot of problems and should be avoided like the plague. Their newer basic decoder (R8249) is said to be OK but has very basic spec.

Not applicable to UK modelling (yet!).....Some US outline N gauge loco's are converted to DCC by replacing the whole circuit board with a replacement one that has the DCC decoder already built-in to it. These boards are made for specific loco's and simply plug in.

That's very clear to me now thank you. Top answers, I appreciate everyones replies.

Len

Be aware that Bachmann in N scale sometimes described a product as "DCC ready" when it simply had a set of tiny solder points on a circuit board mounted with microscopic screws and with delicate parts below that had to be removed and isolated underneath then the decoder soldered to it.

Nowdays they use the somewhat less dishonest "PCB DCC" logo on the products page for such things, but quite a few vendors still repeat the misleading "DCC ready" claim. Their web site is worth checking as it lists whether you need a 6 8 or 21 pin decoder so you know what to order at the same time as the loco.

Alan

Archived