Oxford Diecasts Scarab trailers

David C

I wanted to park a couple of Scammel flat trailers next to the crane in my goods yard looking as though they are waiting to be loaded with containers and duly ordered a pair of LMS types (to be repainted in BR livery). They have just arrived from Hattons and alas are way too short for the normal 16 foot long containers.

So, have Oxford got their models wrong or not? I'm convinced I've seen photos of Scarabs hauling flat trailers with containers on 'em somewhere or other, but were there more than one length of flat bed trailer? Oxford's van type are much longer than the usual BD type container. I'm a bit loathe to abandon my little goods yard cameo! I suppose I could try lengthening the Oxford trailers to suit the Bachmann and Parkside containers I'm using.

Are there any Scammel Scarab experts out there who know how accurate the Oxford models are? Anyone got any plans or even know the proper dimensions of the trailers?

David C

• RMweb Premium

The difference was in the weight rating. The Scammel was available in 3 and 6 ton variants, the different types were distinguishable by the size of the rear wheels on the Scarab. The trailers themselves were available in varying lengths IIRC 12', 14' and 16' depending on the intended use. The tractor to trailer couplings were different on the two weight ratings so that a 3 ton tractor could not couple to a 6 ton trailer and vice versa.

I wanted to park a couple of Scammel flat trailers next to the crane in my goods yard looking as though they are waiting to be loaded with containers and duly ordered a pair of LMS types (to be repainted in BR livery). They have just arrived from Hattons and alas are way too short for the normal 16 foot long containers.

So, have Oxford got their models wrong or not? I'm convinced I've seen photos of Scarabs hauling flat trailers with containers on 'em somewhere or other, but were there more than one length of flat bed trailer? Oxford's van type are much longer than the usual BD type container. I'm a bit loathe to abandon my little goods yard cameo! I suppose I could try lengthening the Oxford trailers to suit the Bachmann and Parkside containers I'm using.

Are there any Scammel Scarab experts out there who know how accurate the Oxford models are? Anyone got any plans or even know the proper dimensions of the trailers?

David C

David

Bachmann did produce a model of the same vehicle around 2004- 2005 see page 71 in 2004 catalogue (INT-2001), it did have a BD container on a long trailer. They also sold the trailer's sperate, might still beable to get them in model shop.

Thank you all for your speedy responses. I love RMweb - you can post a query about even the most obscure topics one night and get answers the next morning!

In view of PhilJW's reply, it looks as though the Oxford trailers are hybrids. The flatbed is 59mm long or 15' as near as dammit, whilst the van trailer is 72mm long or 18'. I'm pretty sure the tractors are models of the 6 ton variants - there was an article in an old MRJ that stated you could tell the difference by the fact that the rear tyres were rather bigger than the front ones. Looking at the photo of the larger size trailer in Shadow's response, the rear tyres are slightly larger than those of the tractor - Oxford's trailers have the same diameter wheels as the tractor's (the rear ones).

Conclusion: the flatbed trailers are either 1' too long or 1' too short. Those with covered bodies are 2' too long - unless these were built with different dimensions ....

Dinkyme's suggestion of finding a Bachmann version, whilst a good idea, might be expensive - I recall they were priced at something like £18, which made me hesitate disturbing the moths in my wallet and getting out the readies back in 2004. I think I'll probably scratchbuild a couple of 16' trailers using the wheel assemblies from the Oxfords. They don't look like too big a job ...

Thanks once again to all who responded.

David C

• RMweb Premium

Yes the Oxford one is the 6 tonner, the Bachman one is of the 3 tonner. As to the lengths, those that I quoted were the 'catalogue' figures. the actual dimensions could vary by as much as a foot or more. This was common practice in the motor industry, the manufacturers however supplied accurate drawings to customers if required.

The Bachman Scarab was sold under the Intertrans label. They are now becoming rare and consequently expensive, £15-£20 on e-bay, they are also rather fragile, in particular the 'undercarriage' on the trailers. However they are extreamly well detailed with such features as the sidelights that are omitted by Oxford.

PS The Bachman trailers were available separately, they sometimes come up on e-bay and are quite cheap (circa£5). Either a two trailer pack or trailer with container.

Yes the Oxford one is the 6 tonner, the Bachman one is of the 3 tonner. As to the lengths, those that I quoted were the 'catalogue' figures. the actual dimensions could vary by as much as a foot or more. This was common practice in the motor industry, the manufacturers however supplied accurate drawings to customers if required.

The Bachman Scarab was sold under the Intertrans label. They are now becoming rare and consequently expensive, £15-£20 on e-bay, they are also rather fragile, in particular the 'undercarriage' on the trailers. However they are extreamly well detailed with such features as the sidelights that are omitted by Oxford.

PS The Bachman trailers were available separately, they sometimes come up on e-bay and are quite cheap (circa£5). Either a two trailer pack or trailer with container.

Can't add much to Phil's comments. For container carrying, the Corgi Trackside version would be an option. The Scarab is 1-72 scale and looks big against the Oxford model, but the trailer scales at 7'6" x 17'.

Merfyn.

• RMweb Premium

Use the Oxford trailers by all means, I have seen photographs of containers loaded onto both trailers and lorries that are shorter than the container leaving an overhang. The Bachman Scarab is well worth seeking out, I picked one up for £5 at the London Transport Museum Depot open day and model exhibition last year. It was the last one left in the museum shop and was being disposed of as 'old stock', the price new was about £15. The next one is soon on the 12th of March. http://www.ltmuseum....um-depot/events

Its well worth a visit, accompanied children have free entry.

What about the good old Airfix/Dapol kit?

Just had a look this afternoon at the differences in the Scarabs.

Left to right are Bachmann 3ton, Airfix kit 6t, Oxford 6t, Corgi 6t.

post-1625-0-36962400-1298738386_thumb.jpg

The flat trailers they come with are, Bachmann 3ton, Airfix 3t, Oxford 3t, Corgi 6t.

Van trailers, Bachmann & Airfix didn't do one. Others are 3 ton vans.

To sum up, The Bachmann Scarab and trailer are a correct combination. The Corgi and flat trailer is correct although a bit big.

With the containers, I too have photos of these on small trailers, and assume these would be empty ones being moved around. A loaded one would certainly require a 6ton horse and trailer.

Merfyn.

David C

Seeing as there were around 600 standard types of trailer it's a bit like that old piece of string. The railway companies did seem to standardize on a couple of lengths from what I can tell from photos. It was either at Bicester or Long Marston where I saw brand new ex MOD versions being sold of at £125 a pop.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Actually the Oxford trailer does represent the 6 ton variety. The number of different types of trailer is amazing, its a case of anything goes. There was also differences between the pre-war MH trailers and the post war Scarab versions, principly in the wheels and tires, the earlier trailers sometimes having larger wheels but with narrower tyres but could be used with any tractive unit if it was of the same weight category.

Archived