Other disciplines

As has been frequently mentioned, modelling in other disciplines can offer opportunities for techniques of which we have little or no exposure.

My son's interest is in military modelling and I often receive has cast-off Finescale Modeller magazines which provide a fascinating insight into how others find inspiration and develop techniques which might be useful to ourselves.

Here are two links that might interest :

Military Modelling and Emmanuel Nouaillier

We saw Emmanuel's work at the salon in Sedan, it is outstanding.

DesA

• RMweb Premium

I was heavily into military modelling for about 25 years until about '96-97 when other stuff finally took up most of my time and my close vision started to go. I carried on buying MM until 2 years ago when the modelling bug got me again, but with railways. I still have a huge stack of kits unmade; some 1/76 vehicles will end up on my layout. Years ago some magazine articles recommended looking at what the railway modellers were doing for scenic work in small scale (ie 1/76 mainly). I learnt my approach to weathering in those days (I'm still learning/discovering techniques). My approach is to think through the series of events and environments a vehicle (or structure) has been through and what effect they would have on it. I was never very impressed by what for a while became an almost standard weathering method that was applied to anything. I once passed a trainload of army AFVs (Scorpions, Scimitars & Ferrets IIRC) at Northam, obviously heading back from an exercise but unwashed. They looked nothing like the models that were winning prizes at shows, but I thought "I could have weathered those", they looked so similar to some of my work.

I first saw Nouaillier's work in MM several years ago and was gobsmacked.

Pete

I saw this a little while ago (can't remember where I saw the link though!) and thought it was amazing!

I think it's good to see how non-railway modellers work - there's a lot we can learn from them, and probably vice versa in some cases too. I occasionally buy mags like Finescale Modeller if there's something which impresses or I want to learn more about :)

A lot of the weathering techniques I use were pioneered by military modellers, they seem to have a slightly different way of looking at things than railway modellers.

It'll also stand me in good stead for going on to military modelling - I went to a model show at Yeovilton last weekend and came away with a 1/48 Harrier GR7!

That's some nice modelling.

I have been very impressed by some of what I've seen in Games Workshop. The textures they do on the Warhammer models and scenery is very detailed and very skilled. I got a lot of my techniques when my boys were into Warhammer and we used to go to Games Workshop on the weekends to watch them painting - I'd buy some army or other for the boys and then spend six weeks painting them, and I can recommend the Citadel paints they sell.

Archived