Faults with New Loco's or am I just unlucky

I have learnt a sharp lesson over the past week.

I had a problem with one loco straight out of the box. Thankfully it was replaced. But it prompted me to check my others, as I have quite a few where I have not got round to using them.

One Heljan Western had a missing Headcode, apparently, these are available and will be ordered for me, and a Heljan Hymek had a missing window, but I did find this in the box.

Lesson learnt, check everything thoroughly as soon as it arrives.

Am I unlucky, or this this the norm?

Regards

Mark

Based on my experiences Mark, I'd say you've just been unlucky. I have only once I think had to return or complain over a loco over the past ten years since my return to the modelling fold (a damaged loco that was replaced without a quibble). Having said that, there are many locos in the loft yet to turn a wheel that I have never given the once over. Bit late now though. :unsure: :rolleyes:

I'd agree though, it is a good idea to check locos over after received them. You can be unlucky, like you have been I think.

Cheers,

Dave

I always take new locomotives from the box and inspect them and try them on a length of track just in case, even if I don't have the time to run them in. With something as fiddly and complex as a model train, there will always be a few in a batch that have the odd niggle.

In around 80 or so purchases I have only had to return two as unserviceable out of the box. The odd other loco has had to have minor detail parts refitted from where they were loose in the box, but these are usually pretty easy with a pair of tweezers and a steady hand.

My own personal favourite is when people sell old locomotives "that has never been out of the box".......

I bet it´s easy to get a several year old loco, that is bought second hand, fixed on a warranty :P.

I ALWAYS test my new acquisitions! I don´t need the trouble of trying to convince a Mfg that it is "new"....

Unlucky I reckon Mark - when I helped out at the PBR railway shop back in Wales we always took locos out for customers before they parted with cash and ran them on a test track to ensure they were OK. I can only recall one loco that was deemed unsuitable which was a Heljan 47 which had succumbed to 'bendy chassis syndrome'.

I would also go along with unlucky mate. I've probably had close on 200 loco's new over the years and I can honestly say I have not had one with a problem. I may be very lucky. All my loco's are tested as soon as I get them home.

My son has had a few with problems though. Bachmann Deltic, 3 x 57, one twice.

Archived