RMweb

Farish B1 Bogie - Help please

Hello all! I'm in the process of resurrecting my old N gauge layout and last week bought a Farish B1 on E-Bay. It was offered for sale as used "but only run once to test it". On inspecting it, that appears to be true.

My problem is that the front pair of wheels on the bogie dont turn as the loco travels. I've removed the bogie and both axles run freely. I've lightly oiled the axle to no effect. Is this a known issue with these engines. It seems to me that there isnt enough weight in the bogie to make the wheels "grip". Anyone else experienced this, any ideas for a solution? Incidentally, I'm really impressed with the appearance and performance of this model. How N gauge has progressed

• RMweb Premium

It's not an issue that I've heard of. Have a look at the arm that holds the bogie, if this has become a little bent it could have altered the way that the bogie sits on the track meaning no pressure on the front wheels.

Hello all! I'm in the process of resurrecting my old N gauge layout and last week bought a Farish B1 on E-Bay. It was offered for sale as used "but only run once to test it". On inspecting it, that appears to be true.

My problem is that the front pair of wheels on the bogie dont turn as the loco travels. I've removed the bogie and both axles run freely. I've lightly oiled the axle to no effect. Is this a known issue with these engines. It seems to me that there isnt enough weight in the bogie to make the wheels "grip". Anyone else experienced this, any ideas for a solution? Incidentally, I'm really impressed with the appearance and performance of this model. How N gauge has progressed

Check that the wheels of the bogie aren't being lifted off the track (even fractionally will be enough) for any reason, or that it's catching on anything (is there any flash on the wheel backs, hubs or keeper plate - even the tiniest bit of flash can cause trouble in N).

Also, try swapping to the scale wheeled bogie in the box - this will help diagnose if the the problem is unique to the bogie or not.

Also, I've found the scale bogie seems fine under most conditions even relatively tight curves (I have 12" minimum, but I'm sure I also checked 9" at the time and it looked to be ok). If so, and it doesn't have trouble then you could run with it, with the added benefit of the slightly larger scale wheels.

Cheers,

Alan

on the track meaning no pressure on the front wheels.

These bogies (as well as the Jubilee, Black 5 and Scot) don't work using any downward pressure from the drawbar - it's only their weight that provides trackholding. Otherwise you'd risk the bogie starting to lift the drivers off the track, which would be worse (for pickup and roadholding).

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for your helpful replies folks! I've tried Dr Al's suggestion of swapping to the scale bogie, which is performing better,but still occasionally not turning the front wheels. I had discounted the scale bogie because of my 10" min radius but Alan is right , it is O.K. (and looks better). I'll stick with this and see how things go over the next few days.

Archived