Minitrains Couplings

signaller

• RMweb Gold

I assume you are just looking for the wire component of the couplings as the rest of it is moulded as part of the vehicle body/chassis?

I don't know if they can be got seperately but I will ask. How many were you looking for?

I assume you are just looking for the wire component of the couplings as the rest of it is moulded as part of the vehicle body/chassis?

I don't know if they can be got seperately but I will ask. How many were you looking for?

Hello Paul, well I am a bit out of my comfort zone here! a friend of mine has asked me to equip 20 slate wagons with couplings to match two Minitrains diesels he has just aquired.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Roger Murray

• RMweb Gold

I think your best course of action would be to drop a line to Parkside Dundas.

I haven't actually modelled in 009 for about 30 years so I dont know what is currently available as seperate couplings. Back then they sold Bemo ones as seperate items which matched. The minitrains coupling on the wagons are a bent wire loop but the hook and the point of pivot for the wire is part of the chassis moulding.

If there are any current 009 modellers watching the list they may have more up to date info on availability

Paul

Peco make these http://www.modelrailshop.co.uk/product/10768/Narrow_Gauge_Couplers_4

Parkside Dundas do two etched versions http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/GREENWICH.html

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/PAUL_WINDLE_COMPONENTS.html

Bemo ones used to be available but I don't know who sells them these days

I personalty don't like this type of coupler, but I've just been researching what was available for my own wagons

Many thanks for that, pity there isn't a picture of the Parkside couplings?

I have always favoured Kadees in the larger scales.

Perhaps a pin head and loops would do the job? I have the pins but no loops small enough!

Cheers

Perhaps a pin head and loops would do the job? I have the pins but no loops small enough!

Cheers

Slaters used to sell 3-link coupling loops for 4mm, I reckon they would be small enough. Being steel they could probably be placed with a magnet on a stick. (drop over the pins and 'wipe' the magnet sideways to leave them on the pins)

Phil T.

Usually resort to bending my own. a badly hand-crafted former (that looks nothing like the real thing) to try to keep them about the same. I have not found a source you will probably pull them out of shape fitting them to the coupling bar anyway - that's how they fall off.

I prefer the Greenwich coupling myself for OO9 but you still have the same problem of bending the wire into shape. I find uncoupling in OO9 a really unreliable pain, and is usually top of my list of questions on seeing it done well at shows - but the answer seems to be more trial and error than science.

I use the N gauge Kadee (now Micro-Trains) couplers on my HOn30 stock which work very well but they are

a) bloody expensive

B) just this side of imposable to assemble

and

c) Even more expensive if you give up and buy the ready assembled versions.

On my old OO9 exhibition line I used the Rapido N gauge type but as nobody made a decent coupling on it own ended up going round the swap meets picking up all the cheap Lima wagons I could and cutting the couplers out of these .

Just to prove that nothing goes to waste in my house I sold the spare bodies on ebay to some n gauge modelers, used the wheels from these on Colin Ashby kits and sold the rest of the chassis to OO9 modelers who use the usual OO9 couplers.

Tom

Archived