More planning help needed please.....

Coddy

Having now been put in a very poor position jobwise, ie no job, my plans for the shed layout are on the back burner :angry:

So, rooting around for something in the garage today, I came across two boards I had made up a few years ago, and never got around to laying any track on...

Boards are 6' by 1' 6" and 5' by 1' 6"..

Track will be OO, dont care about period, but want either TMD to cater for steam and diesel (See im still on the heritage train (geddit) of thought) or Industrial, but again must cater for steam and diesel.

So could you guys come up with something that would fit on the 6 foot board as being the scenic one, the 5 foot is just for the fiddle yard, with just one road off to the FY, must be operationally interesting, DC leccy....

So what do you think? I have tried to draw something but my ideas just dont 'do it' for me :(

Having now been put in a very poor position jobwise, ie no job, my plans for the shed layout are on the back burner :angry:

You have my sympathies - I was out of work last year, not much fun. (I say that but the summer with my little boy was pricelss :) ) But did make a start on many kits in the 'to do drawer'!

So could you guys come up with something that would fit on the 6 foot board as being the scenic one, the 5 foot is just for the fiddle yard, with just one road off to the FY, must be operationally interesting, DC leccy....

So what do you think? I have tried to draw something but my ideas just dont 'do it' for me :(

Soerry to sound negative but that does seem a little bit of a lazy way to approach things.

Have you looked at any prototypes which may fit the bill? I think many people on here may struggle to come up with ideas as you're a little vague on just what you want.

If you gave us an idea of your exisitng stock, it may help things, as schemes can be devised round them.

Stock is just a mish mash really, anything from a 9F to a 09, Hence going on the heritage theme...

I know it sounds lazy, BUT I draw something then find something say like Orchard Road, and I dont really want to look as if I have 'copied' anything. :D

• RMweb Gold

Not, sure if I understand, but you've got 2 boards that total 11' in length but your limiting yourself to 6' scenic? Seems a bit overly limiting if thats the case. As an example the excellent Glenuig on here is 10' total and manages 7' scenic(chosen as it's a diesel era example). My own somewhat stillborn display of Streamline and plywood is a version of Ken Gibbon's New Quay, thats 12' but that includes 2 fiddleyards, you could lose a fiddle yard and still have a usable layout in 9'. If you want a TMD you need even less space for a fiddleyard.

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but if not hopefully made you think?

Regards, Matt

• RMweb Premium

Any plan that is totally 'original' will probably be totally unusable, this has been discussed previously but a track plan is not a finished layout. Choose a track plan you like then construct your layout around it.

Just because the trackplan is similar the scenic treatment could be quite different. But I'd suggest finding a prototype and following the ovferall trak plan as a starting point.

One thing you could perhaps try is something based on Dinting - small engine shed building at the centre but with all sorts of sotck about.

The other way would be to pick some key items of stock, such as the class 09, and go from there. It sounds like this is a bit of a stop gap layout while you're out of work, until which time you can follow your original plans. So, rather than trying to use everyhting you have, maybe, for example, use an industrial them with plenty of shunting to add 'play value' and focus on a few items of stock which should hopefully make it a very economical project.

Yes exactly James, I just want to use 6' of space, mainly for scenic practise, cost etc, guess its a test bed to try out various modelling practices inc wiring lights in, point motors, esp as looking like a couple of (very) lean months coming up.

Will try and post up a couple of my thoughts for track layout, then you guys can tell me what you think..

For that size in OO I'd agree that you need to make best use of it, and that may well be to put the fiddle yard on half of one board with stuff in front.

Heritage can be interesting to operate but it's not quite the random hotpotch some people try and model. Nevertheless they do often share useful traits with modellers - a tendancy to acquire too much stock, a lack of space, excessively busy timetables for the historical location and a collection of usually un-needed working toys - signal boxes, signals etc.

You end up needing

- Undercover stock storage

- Outside stock storage (because there is always an unfinished fundraising for more shed space!)

- Somewhere to park a shunter used to move the stuff around while steam locos are warming up (beats having to start at 3am!)

- Coal, water, oil - away from the passengers a bit

- Parking

- Siding for a small pway train and oddments

- Suitable locos and probably a DMU for offpeak days

- Workshop areas

- Toilets

- Gift shop

- Food

- Exhibit area

- Maybe a turntable although on most heritage lines that's usually an aspiration and in 11' I think likely to be so!

On a lot of heritage sites these are all concentrated in one place (for fairly obvious reasons of reducing movements of empty stock, tools and people)

Given only 11ft my first thoughts would be fiddle yard back one end - perhaps two roads only, splitting into station platforms include a pair with a crossover. The other would also be a headshunt to the depot/stock area which would live in front of the fiddle yard bit thus making full use of the board.

Bought a small trackplans book yesterday 60 plans for small locations by Cyril Freezer, and bearing in mind what Etched Pixels said/advised.

I have come to like the look of SP27 and SP44, I think with a bit of adjustment could be used for a heritage yard, with the main railway and passengers off scene, and could get a wagon/coach, Steam and Diesel shed in this area, plenty of op to rotate stock and have little scenic areas of various work in progress.

What do you guys think?B)

Archived