4mm scale 009 RUSTON

signaller

I'm not sure which variation this is but someone might find these pics interesting;

post-6749-0-19168900-1299851854_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-13504800-1299851866_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-71222000-1299851882_thumb.jpg

Taken last year at Irchester Railway Museum. Either 3' or more likely metre gauge.

If you mess up the bonnet etch all is not lost...

Wow! The last time I saw that it was buried under several other locos and several hundred tons of assorted scrap and I had to climb up the pile and then go potholing among the scrap to indentify them from their works plates (don't try this at home, kiddies :D ). It was in a scrapyard near Wellingborough with a load of Greenwood & Batley battery-electrics, some OHW electrics, several more LBUs and a pair of 48DLU Rustons. This is an LBU because it and all the others that went for scrap from Irthlingborough mines were of that type. The U in the classification represents Underground and is illustrated by the exhaust filter on the rear. The front end of the bodywork was either made in the Irthlingborough mines workshops or in the workshops of whichever Dorman Long mine they originated from. Definitely not metre gauge as the Irthlingborough system was 3ft. and some of the LBUs brought down from the north east for spares were 2ft. 6in.

HTH. :)

Here's the weighted up Ruston body. Sorry it dosen't show up too well, but the lead under the cab roof has the edge chamfered to make it a little less obvous.

post-9877-0-14362000-1299974844_thumb.jpg

The supplied fixing bolts have been shortened a little and a nut soldered on a couple of mm from the end. this stops them protuding through the nuts thereby leaving more room for the lead. I did them this way so that they're easier to loacate.

Track tests have proved suprisingly good ,I took the model along to a freind's layout yesterday and it pushed 16 Rodney Stenning slate wagons up a 1 in 36 gradient with ease. Better than I could have hoped for :D

Track tests have proved suprisingly good ,I took the model along to a freind's layout yesterday and it pushed 16 Rodney Stenning slate wagons up a 1 in 36 gradient with ease. Better than I could have hoped for :D

That sounds as if the smaller motor works just fine. You certainly have shown that it also leaves plenty of room under the bonnet for some weight.

The larger motor leaves for virtually nothing in there.

May I ask what coupling system you are using with the buffers? I had intended either Greenwich or Bemo type but am struggling a bit to get my head round how to affix them and at an operational height.

• 5 months later...

Well, five months have passed and I've finally got round to completing the detailing.....

post-9877-0-95352700-1314226062_thumb.jpg

post-9877-0-22725100-1314226089_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I've settled on a simple hook for coupling. Those multi-layer coupling pockets (which were a right faff to build) have proved their worth as they allowed me to find the optimum hook height.

I've cut a window in the cab rear and framed it with 0.33mm wire, filed down to match the front and back window frames. Also, I've added the extra bracing to the sideframes, although for that variant the horizontal slots should really be filled in (too late now).

Cab detail is mostly from Evergreen plastic sections, with the seat carved from a solid block....

Now for a coat of paint. I'm considering finishing as Horwich works ZM32. Then again, maybe not!!

• 2 weeks later...

Boscarne, that's the nicest diesel I've seen on RMweb for a long time... just don't paint it blue and put big white arrows on it ;)

Seriously, nice work, I like the interior detail. Any chance of a video of it in operation please to see the slow running properties?

Thanks for the kind words, almost a shame to paint it really! (actually I'm just putting it off, although it's currently in grey primer). It definitely WONT be BR blue though..... I think ZM32 only wore blue in its early preservation days.

Sorry, I dont have the means to post video, which is just as well because it's not running too well at the moment. The problem is still a lack of weight to ensure reliable pickup, coupled to the fact that I seem to have got the chassis out of true so it's rocking on three wheels slightly. However, when the juice is getting through it will run very slowly indeed. Maybe DCC is the way to go to control these tiny motors? Brian Madge tells me that it has been done! At least with no motor in the cab there's somewhere to put the decoder :umbrage: .......

Maybe DCC is the way to go to control these tiny motors?

Not so sure - It is not only a case of finding room for the chip and extra wires, but I also wonder how well these motors would survive on DCC rather than DC.

Also the weight + pickup problem would not be resolved at the moment the extra weight is, I think, think the solution - but cannot find anywhere to put it.

I'm not sure either! I find that on straight DC the current doesn't 'get through' if trying to run slowly. It's flat out or nothing.... I gather that PWM DC is definitely bad for these motors. DCC being high frequency might be kinder to the windings? also you've always got full voltage on the track so would that not overcome resistance at the wheels & pickups?

As for the weight issue, I've crammed lead everywhere possible. Anyone got any depleted uranium ? :O

I know we'd previously discounted magnetic assistance but those new Busch mine trains use it, If they were'nt so expensive I'd have got one to try. Purely for research purposes of course......

Take a look at Zimo chips, they have a feature for cordless motors as well as FANTASTIC slow running, the ones I've used are pretty small, though granted it's easier for me to hide them in an 009 2-6-2T than it will be for you in that Ruston ;)

I'm not really considering going DCC in 009, after all I've also got a Nigel Lawton 20hp Simplex and a pair of RT Models Listers. There's certainly no room for a decoder in either of those! although it's interesting to hear that the Zimo chips are suitable.

I've discussed the running problems with Nigel Lawton and he reckons the motor could be damaged. I'll try a replacement and try to tweak the chassis to eliminate the rocking, so hopefully I'll have something positive to report...

also you've always got full voltage on the track so would that not overcome resistance at the wheels & pickups?

It is that full voltage which would concern me. Even with the resistor on board I'm not convinced enough to wind it up much beyond 6v. I do remain convinced though that it is a traction problem, even though there is nowhere to stuff more weight. Yours is the smaller motor version - mine the larger - I wonder if the smaller motor is more delicate? The temptation to turn up the volts rather than apply the hefty hand of God to get this one moving is difficult to resist.

The other Nigel Lawton mech's I've tried, one with the 6 x 10, the other with a 6 x 12, both have a 150 ohm resistor fitted as does the Ruston and neither of those have come to any harm as yet. However, their bodies are heavier and they run fairly well as a result.

These motors certainly need treating with care though, and the 6 x 10 certainly has less torque. Anyhow, there's a replacement on the way, so we'll see.

Archived