Kit bashing Ratio GWR 4 wheelers

Has there been any threads on converting Ratio GWR 4 wheelers into bogie coaches please. I have Russells vol 2 of GWR coaches but not vol 1 so do not have any reference.

I have brought some bodies with the intention to splice the brake 3rd to part of an all 3rd. Also I could cut an all 3rd in half and drop in a composite. Ok these would not match any prototype but they might make something a little different.

Do Ratio or someone else sell the roofs as I obtained some bodies without any roofs.

Thanks in advance

I've done several of these. I'm overseas at the moment so can't quote diagram numbers or post pictures. You need to get Jim Russels vol 1. Plenty of copies around - do a search on abebooks. You will need kits or scratch build Dean bogies of course.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I managed to slip a small box of bits into the car so I could do a bit of modelling whilst away on holiday, so I did find a few mins to try out some conversions.I had brought some cheap Ratio 4 wheelers off Ebay so if all went wrong nothing much lost

post-1131-0-53503000-1311441292_thumb.jpg

This first on is based on a 38'6" brake 3rd D15, OK the rear part is too long and the duckets not quite right and only 3 not 4 compartments but convayes what I was aiming for.

post-1131-0-54796800-1311441429_thumb.jpg

The second one was based on 48'6" D3 brake 3rd, again 1 too few compartments and the brake compartment too long. But I kept it to about the right length and chose to loose a compartment rather than either make it longer or do a lot of surgery on the brake part.

I used a razer saw to cut the bodies next to the door join, hoping each piece had half the join (gap)each. I then glued the sides to the ends and floor and cut up a second floor to fit the gap.

The roof was treated the same but I found out that the profiles are slightly different, plasticard off cuts are needed to support the join on the underside. I now need to sand off the detail before finding the lamp tops.

Solebars,I cut off the W irons and footboard brackets before cutting and fitting them in place. I have some K's Dean bogies to fit, just have to work out some underframe details. I need to ask Ratio nicely if they would kindly sell me some roofs

Not too bad for a first go. I could have tried to shorten the guards compartment to get the extra 3rd class compartment in, but that was much higher risk in cutting out 1 pannel from 2 places and also loosing 1 door on each side. Also I got 2 bogie coaches out of 3 four wheelers. The next conversion is to cut an all 3rd in half and joining it to a composite.

They will not keep the rivet counters happy but will make a nice change from whats available

Archived