If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Erm... Hello there

Linesman

After a considerable period of lurking and just soaking up the excellent knowledge around here, I thought I'd do the decent thing and register.

I've been out of the railway modeling game for 30+ years but have always found myself doodling track formations on beermats or sketching layout plans on the complimentary A4 pads during tedious business meetings. I knew I would return to the fold one day

Upon returning from my extended vacation from the hobby, I was amazed to find how much smaller 00 scale is now than it used to be, and how fuzzy around the edges everything is ;)

A visit to my optician has remedied some of this, but I don't think I'll be scratch-building much stuff or knocking up my own 4mm working screw couplings!

My railway interests are many and varied but I'm particularly captivated by the South Wales Valleys scene post-nationalisation (1950s to mid 1960s).

I am planning a compact OO layout, probably depicting a tiny section of the Taff-Bargoed GW/RR joint line some time in the late 1950s.

This forum really is a great resource and a wellspring of inspiration. It has encouraged me to actually do some actual modelling again rather than remaining an armchair hobbyist.

Thanks to all those who contribute their expertise here.

Err, Welcome! I think a lot of people took a long break at some time or another (for me it was during my first marriage).

My late brother lived within walking distance of the Taff Vale - very interesting line, indeed.

Best, Pete.

That's nice to hear; welcome aboard!

Thanks Andy. Sterling work you're doing here.

Err, Welcome! I think a lot of people took a long break at some time or another (for me it was during my first marriage).

My late brother lived within walking distance of the Taff Vale - very interesting line, indeed.

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete.

Indeed the TVR lines and the Valleys scene in general was fascinating and unique. It's also where I grew up and although I can't remember much of the steam workings, I do remember the last gasps of many of the fascinating routes very well.

Hi,

Welcome aboard.

but have always found myself doodling track formations on beermats or sketching layout plans on the complimentary A4 pads during tedious business meetings.

I used to plan layouts (never built though...) at work whilst watching my lathe do its stuff. Helped beat the boredom.

• RMweb Premium

Greetings and welcome

You'll get all the encouragement you need on here - keep us posted on what you're doing. If you've any questions, or problems, the answers are likely to be just a search away on here, or if you can't find the answer, somebody will know it.

Regards

Stewart

Greetings and welcome

You'll get all the encouragement you need on here - keep us posted on what you're doing. If you've any questions, or problems, the answers are likely to be just a search away on here, or if you can't find the answer, somebody will know it.

Regards

Stewart

Thanks Stewart.

This site really is a superb resource. Lots of helpful people and a wealth of knowledge and experience.

One of the reasons I gave up railway modelling (apart from the pressures of marriage and raising a family) was that I couldn't find the prototype information I needed. I never felt happy just 'freelancing' or making things up - that and the quality of RTR offerings being pretty dire at the time. I never did have time to do extensive kitbuilding or scratchbuilding, and I don't even now.

30 years on, we have the Internet and much improved offerings from the major manufacturers. There are superb online photo collections of almost every location in a variety of 'modellable' periods. We have Google Earth, trackplans galore etc. - so no more excuses.

I'd better get my finger out and get on with it :D

Archived